eating for the wrong reasons.

Options
Hi there,

Even though I try to have a healthy lifestyle. I seem to always resort to food when I feel stressed, when I'm feeling bored or lonely or when I'm trying to make a decision about something.. I don't understand why I let these so called triggers sabotage my progress .. Has anyone else had similiar problem and have they found a solution? It's like I don't remember how to deal with problems anymore and I would rather just use food and obssess over that instead..

Replies

• livingformykids3
    livingformykids3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Am kind of in the same boat but I substitute instead of candy I grab nuts
    Instead of ice cream grab icy pop
    I like 100 calories snacks
  • MyFairLaydee
    MyFairLaydee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    leanned555 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Even though I try to have a healthy lifestyle. I seem to always resort to food when I feel stressed, when I'm feeling bored or lonely or when I'm trying to make a decision about something.. I don't understand why I let these so called triggers sabotage my progress .. Has anyone else had similiar problem and have they found a solution? It's like I don't remember how to deal with problems anymore and I would rather just use food and obssess over that instead..

I've always been a stress/emotional eater...always. Any argument with my hubby or any stressful situation I would ruin my healthy living and just binge and never hop back on the wagon. Lately though as I started my healthy living journey YET AGAIN a flip has kind of switched and whenever life throws some stress my was and I go grab that bag of chips I think to myself, "The only person this is hurting is me. No one else." And I put the chips back. PS - I've stopped stocking chips and cookies in the pantry too - this helps. Even though I get it originally for the kids - too bad. They can make a sandwich! Lol
    Feeling lonely or bored? The MFP forums keep me occupied for sure!
  • inkdm0m
    inkdm0m Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have gone through it for years, after having children back to back...I have a house full of love, toddlers, and stress. It is such a hard battle when your brain has programmed itself to snack out of boredom or stress! I feel ya!
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Totally get it. What I try and do is drink lots of water and I will have a snack (but only 1 portion) one of my favorite things to de stress is walk with my dog. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yep. Totally get it. The best thing I can tell you is: Slow down. Examine your emotions and let yourself feel them, don't just try to bypass them. You may find yourself being able to process them and get past much easier than you think if you face them head-on.
    If you find that you simply must have a treat, try to moderate it. Portion something out, even if it's over your calorie allotment for the day, and put the rest away. Eat slowly, enjoy it. Then get back to your regularly scheduled calorie deficit the next day.
  • leanned555
    leanned555 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys really good advice and glad to know I'm not the only one! I'm generally fine when I've loads of things to do but it's those quiet moments when there is no one around thats dangerous for me! But I'm determined to be able to trust myself with such a basic thing- food! Well done My Fair Lady and you're completely righ, the only person binging hurts is you! And it's one more problem instead of solving the original issue. Apparently it's a habit that you must unprogramme your brain from doing. Like smoking!