A diet of just protein smoothies?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No. And for so many reasons No.

Try to focus on eating things that give you what you need. That includes a large variety of fruits and veggies.

There is more to a diet than protein.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    OP, you just here to stir the pot?
  • hoppykins83
    hoppykins83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My wife tried to do Herbalife and the shakes were pretty good but it never teaches you how to properly eat. You might lose a ton of weight on it but in the end its just because you were buying these crazy expensive, chemistry lab concoctions instead of balancing your diet properly.
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In the 60s (I think) NASA tried to put potential astronauts on all liquid diets and it made them really sad. They mostly craved crunchy stuff.
    I read about it in a book called Packing for Mars by Mary Roach.
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had my jaw joints replaced in 2003, and prior to that I had 16 surgeries on my jaw from 1997-2003. I couldn't chew anything more than overcooked pasta--even that triggered excruciating pain--so most of my diet was liquid. No matter how much I consumed, I always felt hungry and I constantly craved hard or crunchy things. Plus, I was cranky and exhausted all the time. That was by far the most miserable part of my life, and losing the ability to chew was a big part of that. Until then, I never realized how strong the connection between chewing and feeling satisfied was. As soon as my new joints were healed enough that I could chew, I went crazy, ate anything & everything I could get my hands on & packed on the weight. I've come a long way, but I still deal with food issues today.

I know mine's an extreme example, but I'll never, ever understand why someone would voluntarily do a liquid diet, even for a short time. I know I'll have to go through it again for a little while when it's time for new replacements, but to do it for weight loss? Hell, no!
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad.I just had surgery on my jaw,I have no choice but to eat a liquid diet.I would kill for something crunchy right now.Especially cookies.Must have cookies.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    In the 60s (I think) NASA tried to put potential astronauts on all liquid diets and it made them really sad. They mostly craved crunchy stuff.
    I read about it in a book called Packing for Mars by Mary Roach.

Mary Roach is awesome!

To answer the OP:
    Hellz no and F*** NO! ;)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    OP, you just here to stir the pot?

Sounds about right.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone deliberately do this to themselves? That was my exact question when I was 300+ pounds and was approached by a herbalife salesperson. "So you're telling me I get to stop eating the things I love in order to drink some kind of concoction that is supposed to resemble food, and you believe it's a pitch that would attract customers?". Their answer was "if you want to lose weight you would do anything". Wrong answer, only confirming what a horrible idea it is to replace food with all its textures, tastes and moods with a monotonous liquid that doesn't even grant you the luxury of chewing.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that as soon as you start eating again, you'll do it exactly like before. Dieting on shakes won't do anything to teach you portion control, or about what your body needs. It also won't open your eyes to the amounts of calories in your food. Counting calories seems to be a hassle for some, but at least you learn to judge your food intake. With a shake, that's just never going to happen. That's why you either have to live off of them forever (I guess, but good Gods, why would you?!), or learn better strategies eating the foods you like to eat. Same goes for juice fasts or any kind of restrictive diet. So, TL;DR: no, and no.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I won't lie...it has crossed my mind. I hate to cook and when i do, the results are meh at best. The ease and convenience of a tasty smoothie that takes less than 5 mins to prepare a couple of times a day does appeal to me.
  • emmalpoppy
    emmalpoppy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have protein shakes 1 to 2 times a day. But the majority of my calories come from food. For me it's to get all my vitamins and minerals since I have never been able to get it from food alone. And because it's easy for breakfast and still healthy. I have never had any issues with my stomach or colon for that matter lol. But I'm also not eating only shakes. But they are also natural and no crap in them. I read all labels since I have quite a few food sensitivities. But to eat only smoothies I would die, how do you have snacks?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Never.....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Constipation.

https://www.soylent.com/

Not for me. I'm still in a love affair with food in it's various tastes and textures. I just watch portions.

Try this; pickled beets and grated ginger that have Chia seeds soaked in the brine overnight, mixed with Greek Yogurt. Have it with warm Edamame bean pods and sourdough Wasa crackers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    200_s.gif
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Why bother losing weight only to gain it back again?
    I will say that I am a big fan of a smoothie or shake as a meal in a long term plan of weight maintence. I am an 8 year maintainer and I have been mixing up protein shakes on a regular basis for a lot of that time. Especially on days when I am going out to dinner or want to indulge. I like to have one protein drink mid morning to keep me full and bank my lunch calories to save for a splurge.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Here's another complex meal. Make a salad of cucumber, shiitake mushrooms, walnuts and watermelon cubes, marinated in a dressing of 2-1 ratio of oil and lemon juice. Spice with pepper. Dip chunks in kefir.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I imagine there would be digestive issues. constipation or something. I am no scientist, I just FEEL like it is not a good idea to live on liquids only.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Beaver teeth grow their entire lives and if they don't chew, the teeth outgrow the mouth. No liquid diets for beavers!
    beaver-2054.jpg?m=1419979388