Feature request: planned food that you can check off when you've eaten it

Options
I often pre-add food that I know I'm going to eat later. And lots of people like to add whole days of meals, to plan their days.

We should be able to mark this food as "planned," and then once we've eaten it, we should be able to return to our diaries to mark it as "eaten." That way, we can add the food and see our whole day's calories/nutrition, while still keeping track of what we have and haven't eaten.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Go into your settings and create an additional meal category called Planned Food. Preloaded your food, putting it all in that category. Once you've eaten a particular item, move it to breakfast, lunch, etc.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've also wished this feature existed! I think Jem has a decent temporary solution, however I have already used up my "meal slots" and actually wish we had the option to add more meal slots..
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Go into your settings and create an additional meal category called Planned Food. Preloaded your food, putting it all in that category. Once you've eaten a particular item, move it to breakfast, lunch, etc.

I considered this, but thought it wouldn't work since I didn't think we could move food between meals. I'll use this from now on!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Or you can plan it out as the actual day and if you pass that time and haven't eaten it, delete it.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm not sure that would work based on the OP. AFAIK there's no way to exclude a meal category from the count, so they wouldn't be able to see both the calorie count of the food planned AND actual calories remaining.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Or you can plan it out as the actual day and if you pass that time and haven't eaten it, delete it.

This is what I do. It's not like I'll look at my log and say, "Did I eat those grapes? I don't remember."

Yesterday I brought lunch and some snacks to work. It was busy, I wasn't hungry, so I didn't eat all of what I brought. When I got home, I just deleted what I didn't eat.

• eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That would be a great feature!
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would like that feature. I often pre-log snacks so I don't accidently over-snack. However, if I logged two peaches when I was planning out my day of food and I ate one after breakfast, by the end of the day I often forget how many I actually ate and whether I have any left to have as a dessert.

On the other hand I feel sometimes like I have to keep myself in check because it's so easy for me to develop obsessive behavior when it comes to food logging. So it's possible that while this feature would be useful, it might be a strike against my mental health.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Yesterday I brought lunch and some snacks to work. It was busy, I wasn't hungry, so I didn't eat all of what I brought. When I got home, I just deleted what I didn't eat.

This
  • MsSarahShep
    MsSarahShep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sheesh! This feature was requested in 2015 and as far as I can tell still not available..

the ability to “check off” items I’ve actually eaten. Very useful for folks who pre load everything, and sometimes its hard to remember “did I actually eat that”
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    That would be an awesome idea! I also pre-load my food for the day to just mark off what I actually ate.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    As someone who never preplans, I'd appreciate the feature being optional if it's added, i.e. turned on or off via a setting. Otherwise, for people like me, it adds a valueless extra step for every food.

Also, there's a specific area in the MFP Community to post feature requests. Here, you're just talking to other regular MFP users. Staff might see it by chance, but they don't read every post in all the topics.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I pre-log almost all of my meals. Just delete something if you don't eat it.

I don't see the point of prelogging and then require a check to confirm that it did indeed happen. Otherwise, what's the point of prelogging it? If you say it's because you can't remember if you ate it or not, and you're logging in to check something off, you can just as easily log in to edit/delete it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

This is what I do.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I have thought that this would be a nice feature. I sometimes pre-log my day just to keep my eye on what I’m eating. I don’t usually forget what I eat, lol, but still, this would be a nice feature. What could be done, is to pre-log it for ‘tomorrow’, then moving it to ‘today’, after it’s eaten. Doesn’t really seem worth the effort, though.