Overweight and pregnant

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd ask your midwife how many calories you should eat to stay healthy, stick to that number whole eating mostly the stuff from 'slimming world' while not feeling guilty if you really crave a cookie and have one...

But obviously you got to do what you got to do with nausea. And whatever happens... you will still be able to lose the weight after, so don't drive yourself crazy either.
  • darcyelizabeth
    darcyelizabeth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had terrible nausea my first trimester and couldn't look at food. I got a fresh ginger root, and would shave off a few slices and steep it in hot water. It tastes terrible, but a few drops of lemon juice helped with that. It was like a magic cure. Hope it works for you!

I'll give that a try! Thank you :)
  • darcyelizabeth
    Options
    Has anybody used mfp during their pregnancy? I'm 13 weeks pregnant and was overweight to start with. I've already gained 7lbs and I'm worrying I'm going to have a difficult pregnancy :(
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    MFP can still be a helpful tool.

My wife used MFP through 5 pregnancies while under the care of a stellar physician.

She kept her weight right, and after every delivery worked back into peak condition. You just have to want it.
    That's true for all of us.

GOOD LUCK!
    :)

Thank you for the reply :) I'll mention it to my midwife at my next appointment.
  • darcyelizabeth
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Honestly I'd ask your midwife how many calories you should eat to stay healthy, stick to that number whole eating mostly the stuff from 'slimming world' while not feeling guilty if you really crave a cookie and have one...

But obviously you got to do what you got to do with nausea. And whatever happens... you will still be able to lose the weight after, so don't drive yourself crazy either.

I've got my next appointment in around 4 weeks, the midwife who took my booking bloods was unconcerned, I'm assuming she's seen much worse. I haven't actually met my midwife yet as my next appointment is at the community health centre instead of the maternity hospital. Maybe I'll get some more constructive advice from my new midwife :) I think I'd gain less if I was more active, but other than at work (where I'm on my feet for 9 hours) I'm pretty much sedentary. My iron is really low so I feel like I'm wearing concrete boots!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options

I've got my next appointment in around 4 weeks, the midwife who took my booking bloods was unconcerned, I'm assuming she's seen much worse. I haven't actually met my midwife yet as my next appointment is at the community health centre instead of the maternity hospital. Maybe I'll get some more constructive advice from my new midwife :) I think I'd gain less if I was more active, but other than at work (where I'm on my feet for 9 hours) I'm pretty much sedentary. My iron is really low so I feel like I'm wearing concrete boots!

What are you doing to get your iron level up? I'm anemic and can't get all the iron I need from foods. There are many forms of iron and I have found that three or four of them don't work for me. I thought I hated my job but it turned out my anemia was not being properly treated with the particular type of supplement my doctor gave me.

I'm currently taking Iron Bisglycinate, which is not constipating like other iron supplements. My energy levels came back up after I switched.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not just ask how many calories you should be eating and use MFP as a calorie counter?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What are you doing to get your iron level up? I'm anemic and can't get all the iron I need from foods. There are many forms of iron and I have found that three or four of them don't work for me. I thought I hated my job but it turned out my anemia was not being properly treated with the particular type of supplement my doctor gave me.

I'm currently taking Iron Bisglycinate, which is not constipating like other iron supplements. My energy levels came back up after I switched.

Please don't encourage a pregnant woman to take iron supplements that have not been prescribed
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nobody has been hostile

You need to eat a wide diet of nutritious vegetables, fruits, lean proteins and carbs and take your pre natal vitamins

If you are feeling nauseous try a baked potato with a filling of your choice

Why any midwife would advise slimming world is beyond me, and the concept of a paleo diet is so open to interpretation that I would avoid it like the plague

Ps ginger is great for nausea ...I used to suck crystallised ginger and eat ginger cookies

This. Also crackers helped me for nausea.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy and have a healthy baby. I was dead sick for six months and gained most of my weight the last two months.

I ate mostly things on WIC, I was so broke! And actually lost weight.

The WIC diet, LOL! eggs, oatmeal, milk, cereal...I had zero money for food as I was laid off from work at six months pregnant. Nice. Tell me there is no discrimination against pregnancy in this country.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Please don't take advice from Internet strangers on how much to eat/what supplements to take when pregnant. I can guarantee you not everyone who has answered has even ever been pregnant (that seems to be typical for mfp) so they're not even giving you answers from their own personal experience. Ask your OB or midwife.
    Also re: the ginger root thing, ginger and lemon tea did the same thing for me. Really helps with morning sickness.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Please don't encourage a pregnant woman to take iron supplements that have not been prescribed

Or anyone for that matter. So wrong.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

What are you doing to get your iron level up? /= Take a supplement that you have not been prescribed.

That was the only part directed at the OP. The rest was sharing my experience, not advice.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why not just ask how many calories you should be eating and use MFP as a calorie counter?

This.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

What are you doing to get your iron level up? /= Take a supplement that you have not been prescribed.

That was the only part directed at the OP. The rest was sharing my experience, not advice.

Are you pregnant?
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Are midwives also dieticians?

I'd be skeptical taking nutritional advice from a midwife, but then again I really don't know the extent of their training...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Are midwives also dieticians?

I'd be skeptical taking nutritional advice from a midwife, but then again I really don't know the extent of their training...

It varies wildly.
  • Minxi78
    Minxi78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP, but my plan is yo (hopefully) get pregnant early next year, but I wanted to spend at least 6 months eating healthier, losing some weight etc before actually getting pregnant. I have over 100lbs to loose, so my plan when I get pregnant is to talk with doctor/midwife to find a safe calorie goal for pregnancy, then I will continue exercising (safely) and use MFP to keep from gaining too much weight during pregnancy. Of course that is easy for me to say now, when I am not dealing with morning sickness or cravings, but it is at least my plan :) I hope the nausea gets better soon!!