Road trip with a lapband

Options
LBCindy
LBCindy Posts: 11 Member
Hello everyone! In February of 2013 I was ready to make some changes with my life and had a lapband put in. I only lost around 30 pounds from my pre-surgery diet weight and then over the next 2 years I gained most of that back. I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle because of some physical disabilities, but I also made very poor choices and didn't allow the lapband to work for me. It is a "tool" which means you still have to be on a very restrictive diet. I ended up drinking a lot of my calories, which is also a no-no. A month ago I started again. I never really followed the plan previously, and I'm determined this time I'll be successful. I lost 11 pounds in a month, which is ideal, so I'll take that!
I have a big hurdle now. We are going on a road trip and I have no idea how to ensure proper nutrition on that trip. The first day we can eat out, but the next 2 will be spent camping, walking, driving, hiking (or my family will hike and I will go a little ways and then wait for them to come back down). With no place to prepare foods or purchase them, I'm nervous!
I need great ideas of things to pack in a small cooler that I can pull out and eat. Food for the rest of the family will require a large cooler and I won't have much room. With the lapband, I can't eat most raw vegetables (however cooked ones work). No breads. Need to limit the carbs and be high on the protein.
Are there other banders on MFP? What works for long drives in the car?
*Going to Jackson WY, Grand Teton National Park and then driving through to Yellowstone as well. I'm so wishing I was more fit so that I could hike as much as my family will do. Baby steps though...

Replies