I know some think tofu is gross...but let me try to change your mind!

Options
enkiemonkey
enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi Everyone

Since I am Asian, in our culture, we eat a lot of tofu -- growing up, I've always associated tofu with deliciousness instead of the common association of "bland" "gross" "no taste". On my fitness journey (3 weeks into it now) -- tofu has become a staple in my diet and so far I have lost 6lbs! I hope some of these simple recipes can help with others on this journey but looking for non-meat options (fyi i am NOT a vegetarian, but i do enjoy vegetarian food).

Recipe #1 Simple Pressed Tofu Stirfry

Ingredients:

- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Celery (cut into thin 2 - 3 inch strips, about 0.25 inch wide - dont have to be super precise)
- Carrots (easiest if you get pre-peeled baby carrots, similarly cut into same shape as celery strips)
- Pressed tofu (see photo below for example -- this probably is easiest to get if you live somewhere near an Asian market -- wholefoods could potentially have it too)
- a drizzle of sesame oil
- a table spoon of olive oil
- for meat eaters, feel free to add in lean pork or beef, also cut into thin strips

Pressed Tofu Photo
http://www.dish-ditty.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2014-09-17-07.49.05.jpg

1. Coat the Pan with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper into the oil, allow it to heat
2. Once oil heated, throw in minced garlic. stir fry for about 20 - 30 seconds once you start smelling that awesome garlic aroma
3. throw in meat at this point if you are using meat (stirfry the meat until cooked -- pork/chicken need to be thoroughly cooked, beef can be less so)
4. if you dont choose meat, then just throw in the carrots and celery first -- stir fry for about 2 - 4 minutes until its softens a little, then add in the tofu strips
5. salt to taste while you are stir frying
6. add a drizzle of sesame oil in your final 30 seconds

This is super simple (though the cutting can be ahhhhhhh) and healthy. Great also if it's cold, so for the summer time, you can also add this as a warm or cold salad side.

Recipe #2 Seaweed tofu beef soup

This is a modified version of a traditional Korean seaweed soup -- I just add in a pack of extra firm organic tofu.

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/66294/korean-style-seaweed-soup/?mxt=t06rda

For vegetarians, I think this may be tough. You can take out the beef portion and try to substitute the beef stock with vegetable stock, but I have no idea how that will turn out.

Replies

• _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am Asian too and we never ate tofu :D
  • enkiemonkey
    Options
    Haha, i guess every family is different :)
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Options
    I guess it depends which kind of asian maybe, i am chinese/indonesian descent and we eat alot of meat and although pork is my fav i have stopped with pork for a while now, chickenbreast and fish mostly, i have no clue how tofu taste but for you i will try it sometime :)
  • enkiemonkey
    Options
    Im Taiwanese descent -- tofu is often added in the midst of lots of hearty meat dishes. Like braised fatty pork may have carrots and some hard pressed tofu (these types of tofu stay firm even when braised). My buddhist grandma who is vegetarian probably influenced a lot of our diet growing up :)
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I love tofu! Thanks for the recipes!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My hubby is Hungarian and he hates borscht. But I can get him to eat tofu if I am careful. I'm learning to cook it more often.
  • enkiemonkey
    Options
    Hope you enjoy! The soup is particularly useful for dinners. I make a huge pot on Sunday nights and that will last me three dinners (including Sunday night). It's a great way to feel full and get nutrients without feeling super bloated the next day. I really think this is the reason why i was able to stick to my calorie count. I usually have a whole fruit 1.5-2 hours after dinner (white peaches, a banana, or an apple) so I dont get the 11PM hunger pangs.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Options
    My chinese grandmother is a real meat eater :) she is 87 atm
    She always make me laugh cuz when i used to gain weight she would just ask me, "you gained weight?" ugh yes grandmother i gained weight "ok watch yourself a bit" and when i would go home besides the rice dishes she would pack me cookies and sweets lol
    And if i lost weight she would ask "are you eating ok?" :D
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Tofu is awesome! I love it just pressed well and pan fried with salt and pepper! It's also fantastic in stir-fries, I need to try that recipe.
  • enkiemonkey
    Options
    Tofu is awesome! I love it just pressed well and pan fried with salt and pepper! It's also fantastic in stir-fries, I need to try that recipe.

I love this too. Simple and delicious. For those who like it spicy. This suggested dish with some Siracha dip is great.
  • LittleLadWantsToWin
    LittleLadWantsToWin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    people think tofu is bland? i never heard that before

most people here have no idea what it is but I eat it regularly
  • siobhanbowry
    siobhanbowry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    love tofu