Gained a year, Lost 80 pounds...

jilllian0330
jilllian0330 Posts: 5
edited September 28 in Success Stories
Last April, at my heaviest, I weighed in at 211 pounds. I developed emotional eating habits while in college, when I was stressed out and I ate when I was feeling sad and down about my mother being sick with cancer. Instead of the freshman 15, I put on the 30 pounds. While taking some time away from college, I saw that not only was this an opportunity to figure out what I wanted to do career wise, but also get my body into good shape. I joined a small healthclub, and started dieting. Since April 2010, I have lost about 80 pounds. This has been the most rewarding experience of my life. I feel SOOO much better about myself, I have gained so much self-confidence and I love being active. I remember when I was so proud of myself for being able to "jog" (at 5.5 miles per hour) on the treadmill for 5 minutes. It's amazing what perseverence and hardwork can do. I never thought I'd live to see the day when I would thoroughly enjoy running, and go out on 2 hour running excursions. I find myself struggling to lose these last 5 pounds or so, especially now that it's summer time and theres lots of yummy food around! I want to reach my goal weight before I return back to school in August. I approach college with much hesitation. I'm afraid of the stress and workload, afraid that I won't make friends, and afraid that I'll gain weight back. I just have to make sure to fit in workouts during the week, and eat consciously in order to maintain my weight. I thought I would be fat forever. Like I said, it's been the most rewarding experience of my life. It's done so much for me, not only physically but mentally as well. Sometimes it's awkward when I say "hi" to people I went to highschool with, and you can tell they're confused when they think they don't know you. When I say, "its me, Jill, remember?" and you see then that they recognize the face, and they say "I didn't even recognize you, you realize just how big of a change you've made for yourself. Its been a long, sometimes frustrating adventure, but I wouldn't change it for anything now that I'm nearing the end. All it takes is patience, perseverence, and a little will-power. The main thing I'm struggling with is what I like to refer to as my "cheesesteak" or a stomach that I'm left with. The weight that i carried in my stomach then lost has left me with an ugly stomach, and quite a few stretch marks. While I'm super self-conscious about it and sometimes despise it too, it reminds me of the weight I've lost, and the new person I've become.

Replies

• What a great story! Thanks for sharing! :heart:
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Keep running it does wonders for stress! and good luck in school! There is no better investment in yourself!
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Fantastic story! You are very inspiring! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • sarasweatt
    sarasweatt Posts: 1 Member
    This was really inspiring to read. I just started on here, and am also in college. Thank you for sharing, you helped me see that the hard work is worth it! Congratulations!
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    :smile: :smile: :smile: :drinker:
  • Sprinkie09
    Sprinkie09 Posts: 40 Member
    Great Story!! & good for YOU!!! :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Congrats!!!!
  • So great to hear your story... I too started MFP at around your weight though a little heavier, 218. Can't believe I ever let myself get to that weight, I guess it was fairly gradual so I didn't notice at first. I started MFP in January and it's done wonders for me (that and slowly learning to cook and not buy so much processed food)! I'm so glad it worked for you too, and it's very inspiring for the rest of us still on the journey. ;) I'm sure you will do great in college! :)
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Good for you!
  • thadreamer
    thadreamer Posts: 54 Member
    You are inspiration a true hero for so many who have read this! Don't fear, LIVE!!! You will find your way to maintaing and you will find that you are a strong woman with the capabilities to conquer your fears!!! I don't know you but I'm proud...
  • poppyloganriley
    poppyloganriley Posts: 44 Member
    You already know how proud I am of you, but not just for your weight loss. You have always been beautiful, outside...now you are just healthy, too! And your beauty inside is what has made you my best friend during the hardest two years of my life! Love you!
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    That's awesome, congrats! And about your 'cheesesteak' stomach--when I lost weight after my second child I had the same thing. I called it my shelf--a bunch of horrid, wrinkly skin. My hubby kept telling me to do situps, it killed me when he never realized that it was loose, ruined skin. But you know what? I had a third child, gained all of my weight back, and whatdya know...I'd LOVE to have my shelf back!

Keep up the good work, and remember this feeling. It'll get you through, and you'll make sure to keep the weight off :)
  • Thanks for all the support and kind words!
  • You are such an inspiration! Keep up the great work and know how fabulous you are!!
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Great story!! Congratulations and good luck on maintaining!!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!