weight loss with an injury

Hello. I'm trying to lose weight but am having a hard time due to a bulging disk in my lower spine. What's a good workout that won't kill my back?

Replies

• vilo_pjd
    vilo_pjd Posts: 15 Member
    That would probably be better answered by your doctor, as we cannot determine the extent of your injury.

For sure exercise plays a massive part in the weight loss game, so your injury will affect the speed in which you lose weight
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2015
    Agree, need to check with your doctor as to what exercise you can tolerate. Maybe he can refer you to to a physical therapist for a bit of help with that.

Regarding the weight loss, that is 80-90% diet. I'm a lifelong workout person, but had 8 upper body surgeries in the last 5 years which obviously limits one as far as working out. Didn't gain a pound (wasn't looking to lose weight in the first place) because I adjusted my diet by reducing calories in the junk food categories (or non nutritionally dense foods for those that want to be PC).

Best of luck and thanks for your service.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2015
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Agree, need to check with your doctor as to what exercise you can tolerate. Maybe he can refer you to to a physical therapist for a bit of help with that.

Regarding the weight loss, that is 80-90% diet. I'm a lifelong workout person, but had 8 upper body surgeries in the last 5 years which obviously limits one as far as working out. Didn't gain a pound (wasn't looking to lose weight in the first place) because I adjusted my diet by reducing calories in the junk food categories (or non nutritionally dense foods for those that want to be PC).

Best of luck and thanks for your service.

• sabrinafort
    sabrinafort Posts: 2 Member
    I feel your frustration! I have the exact same back injury, and the last 2 months have been very tough. I was walking over 10,000 steps per day, and my vivofit watch was my best friend. Then my back got hurt. I have just started taking small walks last week, and I've been doing PT for a few weeks. Plus 2 rounds of steroids injected in my back.
    My best suggestion is to get any professional help that you can, and have hope. I'm told this is an injury that slowly repairs itself. My PT has helped immensely to strengthen my core (which I didn't even know was weak), and to guide my progress.
    In terms of weight loss, I agree that it's mostly diet rather than exercise. My weight only changes with a distinct diet change. The exercise helps me be stronger and feel better, which for me, helps me eat better. And when I've lost weight with diet alone, my body was thinner but flabby. Adding the exercise helps my thinner body actually look better.