Why am I getting sick?

Options
So I have been eating clean for about a week now and the past thee days, I feel like I'm fighting something. I have sore throat, stuffy nose, the works. This happens EVERY time I eat healthy!! I'm rarely sick when my diet is total crap, but when I start healthy, I always get sick with something!!! WHY????!!? Isn't healthy eating supposed to make you feel better??? So frustrating!! I don't want to give up again, but I don't want to be sick either. Can anyone shed light on what the hell is going on!?!???? :/

Replies

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for allergies.?
    May be allergic to something you are eating.
  • lostone7
    lostone7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Omg I'm in the same position. I get mad nausea after eating a healthy meal. But that didn't happen when I was eating unhealthy. I'm getting some blood work done cause I have low iron. But I'm just so confused.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Are you going from full crap to full healthy?

Maybe you should do a slow transition and give your body some room to adjust. In nature, slow is best.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Clearly you're not cleaning your food enough.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

haha.... need some antibacterial soap on that kale....
  • SarahLeeB23
    SarahLeeB23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your process of cleaning up your diet might also involve you eliminating some sources of nutrients your body desperately needs.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I tend to get sick more often when I'm losing weight than when I'm maintaining. What I'm eating hardly changes unless you count eating 1 slice of bread instead of 2, lol.

Are you getting enough sleep? How aggressive is your weight loss plan?

~Lyssa
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I would also wonder about allergies, but what you're describing sounds like congestion, which I normally don't associate with food allergies. Usually issues with a change in diet are more of the gastrointestinal variety. Do you suffer from seasonal allergies? We're starting to see the effects of that here again.

Can you give some examples of what you ate before, and what you are eating now? Also, does you change in eating style coincide with any other changes (like starting to go to the gym or fitness classes where germ exposure could explain the illness)?
  • Spice1973
    Spice1973 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is either but the same thing happens to me too. I don't go completely clean though just clean up my diet some. Mine does go away after 4 or 5 days and doesn't come back until I eat like crap again for awhile and then clean it up some again.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    What you have described sounds like what i go through every single spring, and i always thought it was illness until one day, i actually went to my doctor....who told me it was allergies. (in my case, to pollen of random things) so that's worth a look. It could also be a lack of certain nutrients or maybe just too aggressive a calorie deficit. If you've looked at your calorie deficit and General diet and see nowhere you can change that, maybe see a doctor and have a chat. Good luck!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    What is healthy eating to you? It might not be so healthy, as evidenced by your getting sick. I eat anything I want as long as it fits into my calorie goal. Perhaps you should do the same.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are ordinary foods like bread on your clean list? There's the Keto flu for instance, if you cut out a lot of carbs at once.
  • shanek1990
    shanek1990 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Haha! That gave me a good laugh. Thanks :smile:
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There is sometimes an allergy-like response when you give up foods that are causing you problems that your body has compensated for. For instance, some people respond with body wide inflammation to the vegetables in the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers). This can be causing low grade skin eruptions, mild joint discomfort, congestion (basically any body response that is "inflammatory"). Oddly enough, when you discontinue these foods there is often a 2 week period of flared symptoms. I was told this a year ago by my reg M.D. when she suggested I go on an "Anti-inflammatory/Elimintaion Diet" in order to rule out food intolerances (much more common than actual food allergies). So, if your "eating clean" is eliminating a food or foods that you body does not handle well then you are very likely to have a 12- 18 day period of time when you have flared symptoms. If you can ride this out you may very well feel really great in a few weeks.
    Good Luck!
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What is healthy eating to you? It might not be so healthy, as evidenced by your getting sick. I eat anything I want as long as it fits into my calorie goal. Perhaps you should do the same.

Yep I do this. I used to get ill a lot before I started using MFP; headaches, nausea, colds etc that appeared 'random'. Now that I've cut my calories to lose weight I very rarely get ill, I'm not eating 'clean' or anything, I've just been eating within my goal. Maybe try not restricting yourself as much and see how that goes? :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    :|
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Are you going from full crap to full healthy?

Maybe you should do a slow transition and give your body some room to adjust. In nature, slow is best.

I found this was important.
    And check for allergies
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    alixmp wrote: »
    So I have been eating clean for about a week now and the past thee days, I feel like I'm fighting something. I have sore throat, stuffy nose, the works. This happens EVERY time I eat healthy!! I'm rarely sick when my diet is total crap, but when I start healthy, I always get sick with something!!! WHY????!!? Isn't healthy eating supposed to make you feel better??? So frustrating!! I don't want to give up again, but I don't want to be sick either. Can anyone shed light on what the hell is going on!?!???? :/

If you are eating with a northern window open then you're facing Smithers. Nothing good comes out of Smithers. Close the northern window and open a western window. Allow the ocean air to improve your breathing and the ocean will open your sinuses. You could always open your diary. . . .I mean. . .so we have perspective instead of guessing blind.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,549 Member
    Options
    Another possible reason is that too much of a deficit can apply to this. When the deficit is too high, the body will break down it's own tissue to supplant needed essentials. And that lowers your immunity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png