Need advice: I can't get my body back

2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    How exactly does an "herbalife coach" measure your resting metabolic rate? I'm sure it's b.s., but I'm just wondering how it goes.

Me too! I'm sure they tell everyone they're on deaths door, and herbalife will fix everything. .
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    cmenge11 wrote: »
    Hi all! So I have run into a bit of a problem. I gained around 40 pounds in the course of a year and a half. I'll admit that I was not healthy during that period it was my senior year of college so I did a lot of drinking and eating out at restaurants and I rarely drank water. It's been 5 months and I'm 5'5" 186 pounds (up from 135 average) and female.

A little background about me is that I was always a fat kid and I was fat until 10th grade. Then I lost about 50 pounds relatively quickly and kept it off until my senior year of college. I would say that my behavior (diet and excercise) hasn't changed much since my skinny days but for some reason I gained a ton of weight very quickly. I went to a friend who was an herbalife coach and he measure my resting metabolic rate and said it was comparable to that of a 55 year old woman (I'm 22). Since then it's been about 5 months and I'm consuming 1250 calories a day and working out alternating between strength training and cardio 6 days a week and I've only gained weight. What do I do? I feel hopeless and it's hard to stay motivated with no results.

You have not been eating 1250 calories. Unless you have been in your bed, fed with a tube and not moving at all. Not possible, regardless of whether you have some mysterious medical condition or not. Open your diary.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    If your herbalife coach got you to fast for 12 hours then put you under a hood at rest to measure your RMR then maybe a/he has some idea what your metabolic rate at rest is ...otherwise ignore

You would know

It would have looked like this

Indirect_calorimetry_laboratory_with_canopy_hood.jpg

You put on weight because you ate the same, drank more high calorie alcohol and moved less. End of

Eat less, move more to lose

Do not buy herbalife
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If your herbalife coach got you to fast for 12 hours then put you under a hood at rest to measure your RMR then maybe a/he has some idea what your metabolic rate at rest is ...otherwise ignore

You would know

It would have looked like this

Indirect_calorimetry_laboratory_with_canopy_hood.jpg

You put on weight because you ate the same, drank more high calorie alcohol and moved less. End of

Eat less, move more to lose

Do not buy herbalife

I'm quoting primarily to snag this image - excellent!

It's all too easy to blame this on metabolism, but even those with a metabolic disorder can overcome and manage their weight. There are several elite athletes who have thyroid disorders and are performing stronger than ever.

The rule of CICO applies to everyone.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Can you open your diary?
  • cmenge11
    cmenge11 Posts: 8 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can you open your diary?

Sure I'll open it temporarily!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    You've been logging very accurately since Monday, but WAY under-eating. Around 800 calories most days. :(

Before then I see:

2 August - 2 sausages? And other non-weighed items.
    1 August - either ate 700 kj or did not log everything.

Before then, on the previous days are:

2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, 1 burger
    1 bowl of chipotle, half a chicken breast - none of this is accurate logging.

You're getting there with the weighing of food. But the undereating is very worrying.

Try eating your correct amount, and you'll still lose weight. Good luck.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure if you should jump right to having a problem physically. I really think it is your calories you are either over eating or eating too little. Basically with calories. Say your BMR is 1800 calories - that's when you are doing nothing, it will go up if you live an active lifestyle and adding in activity is known as you TDEE. You can use either of these. I use my BMR so I get more of a deficit. You only want to go down a little bit. for example eat 1700 calories. That's a deficit and automatically you will start losing weight. add in exercise (but dont eat back the calories) and that just adds to the deficit. Then when you hit a plateau you drop your calories more or increase your exercise (or both if you want to go hard core). But the thing is if you start at 1200 and you BMR is 1800 yes you will lose weight but once you hit that plateau, where are you going to go? to 1000 calories... you will be miserable, you will lose muscle mass and you will end up not losing that much weight and you could end up going down the road to an eating disorder. I know this from experience as this is what happened to me. I ended up (luckily) going back to eat regularly and gained 4 times the weight I lost back!!!!!!! I have now joined MFP and want to be healthy so my calories are at 1800 as my BMR is 2000 roughly. I work out 5 days per week, mostly weights and only 20-15 minutes cardio (hell no cardio!!) and its been four days (so can't really say 5 days just yet) but I already had to do my brand new bra up tighter this morning - after it had been in the dryer!! (they shrink a little in the dryer)

Please note this is just my experience and suggestions. I am by NO means a pro at this, as you can see I have had my own struggles.
  • cmenge11
    Orphia wrote: »
    You've been logging very accurately since Monday, but WAY under-eating. Around 800 calories

You're getting there with the weighing of food. But the undereating is very worrying.

Try eating your correct amount, and you'll still lose weight. Good luck.

Thank you! I didn't realize how badly I was undereating because I was just trying to be at a deficit. But thank you for helping me!
  • cmenge11
    I'm not sure if you should jump right to having a problem physically. I really think it is your calories you are either over eating or eating too little. Basically with calories. Say your BMR is 1800 calories - that's when you are doing nothing, it will go up if you live an active lifestyle and adding in activity is known as you TDEE. You can use either of these. I use my BMR so I get more of a deficit. You only want to go down a little bit. for example eat 1700 calories. That's a deficit and automatically you will start losing weight. add in exercise (but dont eat back the calories) and that just adds to the deficit. Then when you hit a plateau you drop your calories more or increase your exercise (or both if you want to go hard core). But the thing is if you start at 1200 and you BMR is 1800 yes you will lose weight but once you hit that plateau, where are you going to go? to 1000 calories... you will be miserable, you will lose muscle mass and you will end up not losing that much weight and you could end up going down the road to an eating disorder. I know this from experience as this is what happened to me. I ended up (luckily) going back to eat regularly and gained 4 times the weight I lost back!!!!!!! I have now joined MFP and want to be healthy so my calories are at 1800 as my BMR is 2000 roughly. I work out 5 days per week, mostly weights and only 20-15 minutes cardio (hell no cardio!!) and its been four days (so can't really say 5 days just yet) but I already had to do my brand new bra up tighter this morning - after it had been in the dryer!! (they shrink a little in the dryer)

Please note this is just my experience and suggestions. I am by NO means a pro at this, as you can see I have had my own struggles.

This is amazing advice thank you so much! I'm glad that you got better and that you are seeing positive results! You've inspired me!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Asking friends and Internet strangers for advice is great. But if you really want to do this the smart way, go see a doctor and a dietitian if you live in a place where it is possible to do that.

Nobody else can give you good advice.

Get your weight and diet under control now. My weight loss has driven home one very sorry fact: I will never have a good body. I will spend my entire adult life having never had one...and that sucks. Don't end up that way. Lose your weight. Learn to eat healthy and have a healthy body that happens to look good, too. Do it now, while you're young. :)
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 204 Member
    I think it is about the composition of what you're eating.

You'd be fuller eating good fats and they would not be adverse to your health. This would prevent feeling full.

You'd be fuller drinking some whey protein with water.

You'd feel better if you lowered your carbs and sugar. Despite what MFP recommends, I would set yourself some goals as to the composition of what you're going to eat and find out what jumpstarts your metabolism. Try something for three weeks like 100 grams of carbs, 80 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat and low sugar. Try to just have sugar come from fruit. Then, instead of always eating 1200 calories you would feel better and start eating what your body wants.

• Have you gone to a doctor about this? Sometimes people can get diseases or disorders that cause weight gain no matter what. If the advice people have given you isn't working, I'd suggest you see a doctor.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    This is a good clothes outfit for when you can't get your body back.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    9ps! Lol ?! Forgot to put the pic!

some-drunk-lady-canada--large-msg-114260439051-2.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    rwhyte12 wrote: »

You'd be fuller eating good fats and they would not be adverse to your health. This would prevent feeling full.

You'd feel better if you lowered your carbs and sugar. Despite what MFP recommends, I would set yourself some goals as to the composition of what you're going to eat and find out what jumpstarts your metabolism. Try something for three weeks like 100 grams of carbs, 80 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat and low sugar. Try to just have sugar come from fruit. Then, instead of always eating 1200 calories you would feel better and start eating what your body wants.

This is just noise. Her calories in aren't less than her calories out. End of story.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    rwhyte12 wrote: »

This is just noise. Her calories in aren't less than her calories out. End of story.

Agreed. She needs to get her calories in order and spot on before worrying about fiddling with her macros.

• walrusd
    walrusd Posts: 40 Member
    I have the same problem! And I feel terrible about it. Would you like to be weight loss buddies? I mean, really, keeping each other on track? :)