Maltodextrin while losing weight?

Options
I'm a rugby player and my coach told the team yesterday he recommended us to start taking maltodextrin as a post-training supplement. I've been reading about it but I haven't find anything about having it while you are trying to lose weight.

Does anyone have more information about it? Is it recommendable for people who are losing weight?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As long as you include the calories in your daily intake and are eating at a deficit it shouldn't hinder your weight loss.

Just out of curiosity did he say why this particular form of carbohydrates? If you're looking for glycogen replenishment something with a higher GI may be preferable. I'll stick with my chocolate milk!
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Taken during or right after a tough workout shouldn't hurt your weight loss, it should replenish muscle glycogen (and not get turned into fat). If you weren't replenishing muscle glycogen before, it may even help you have more intense workouts/rugby games. Adjust your other carb/calorie intake to accommodate it.

On the other hand, if you know you have insulin sensitivity issues, I would probably avoid it.
  • KaryLoaiza88
    KaryLoaiza88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    As long as you include the calories in your daily intake and are eating at a deficit it shouldn't hinder your weight loss.

Just out of curiosity did he say why this particular form of carbohydrates? If you're looking for glycogen replenishment something with a higher GI may be preferable. I'll stick with my chocolate milk!

I talked to my coach yesterday and he told me he recomends this particular one because it's very fast absorbing and it is very concentrated, so it can avoid muscle deterioration when we run out of the carb "storage" we had. Rugby is a very intense sport.
  • KaryLoaiza88
    KaryLoaiza88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Taken during or right after a tough workout shouldn't hurt your weight loss, it should replenish muscle glycogen (and not get turned into fat). If you weren't replenishing muscle glycogen before, it may even help you have more intense workouts/rugby games. Adjust your other carb/calorie intake to accommodate it.

On the other hand, if you know you have insulin sensitivity issues, I would probably avoid it.

Thank you very much for your answer! Just what my coach said!
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »

Thank you very much for your answer! Just what my coach said!

Happy to help! I forgot to mention that muscle glycogen storage comes with more water storage. So, you will likely see a jump in the scale, especially in the beginning, but its nothing to be concerned about.