Bought a Spaghetti Squash today...

Options
bethanyweathers
bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
...and I have no idea how to cook it/do anything with it lol. Any ideas?

Replies

• carolinenp
    carolinenp Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I heard you cut it in half. Take the seeds out, place in down on a cookie sheet. Cook it in the oven get a fork and get the goods out. And use it in place of a pasta?

sorry this is not the best directions. haha
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    I don't have any idea, but i'm curious, so i'm going to "bump" and see what responses you get. Good luck and good for you for trying something new!
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    You can also cut it in half and cook it in the microwave. Check on it every five minutes or so. It's great with a little olive oil and grated cheese.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yep upside down in a pan with a little water. Its amazing with your favorite sauce. I make up a no meat sauce to top it and some grated parmesan. hmmm think I might have that for dinner
  • Kkimbee
    Kkimbee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, cut it in half...place on a baking sheet (google for temperature...can't remember that). Anyhow....after it is done baking...scrape out the baked contents! It will really look like pasta noodles!!! And if you top it with the right pasta sauce and freshly grated parmesan...it is pretty darn good!
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I cut mine in half, remove the seeds, and stab holes in it...I then put it on a bowl with a little water in the bottom...microwave for a few minutes until it is soft and the insides can be removed easily. Then treat them as if they are cooked pasta noodles and substitute them in any recipe.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of spaghetti noodles. I find that if you undercook it just a bit, it's a little firmer and tastes better. I then let it simmer in the spaghetti sauce for a few minutes before eating as that allows it to soak up some of the sauce flavoring. It can make your sauce watery if you're not careful, though, so you might want to make sure your spaghetti sauce is a little thicker.
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love Spaghetti Squash!! I stab it a few times then microwave it for about 8 min (untill it is soft like it will move when you touch it, still firm and not mushy though) and then just cut in half scoop out the seeds and take a fork and pull out meat of squash...its stringy but so good! I put alittle butter and some garlic powder on mine...but I have had it with marinara like normal spagetti and that was good to!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I cut in half- scoop out pulp place face down in a baking dish with 2-3 inches of water for about 30-45 minutes- until tender. Take a fork and scoop out the "meat" of the squash, it will "shred" into spaghetti strings. use like spaghetti- place whatever sauce you want over it.
  • shortcake05
    Options
    When I've had spaghetti squash from a restaurant, it was always on/associated with the pasta menu. It is very filling, like pasta can be. It is DELICIOUS with marinara (sp?) sauce :)
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I poke holes in mine and microwave it for about 13 minutes or so. This is for a medium sized one. I make spaghetti for my husband and I use the sauce and put it on the spaghetti squash. You can also put a little butter on it and some garlic salt and parmesan. So many things you can do with it. I haven't had pasta in months.....this is all I eat.