What's better to look for how much you lose or how many inches?

Options
For me I've been trying to slim down and you'd think I'd be focusing on inches more but I'm more worried about weight loss. What do you focus on?

Replies

• livingformykids3
    livingformykids3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I focus on weight as well every Friday I weigh myself I don't see a different but everyone else does
  • emilycollins290
    emilycollins290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I focus on weight as well every Friday I weigh myself I don't see a different but everyone else does

See that's hard I don't either but someone gave me a tip to take pictures every two weeks and see if you can see a difference.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I weight almost every day, take pictures and measurements every 3 weeks.

I'm trying to lose fat, and maintain (or build) muscle. I'm more concerned with what clothing size I am than specific measurements or the number on a scale.
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Measuring can give false readings due to water retention. Always go with weight.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Measuring can give false readings due to water retention. Always go with weight.

Weight can be off due to water retention too.

I go by both. I feel I would probably have given up by now if I was just going by measurments. They have gone down much slower. I find it very useful to record both. On weeks where I don't lose I can occasionally lose half an inch. So something is going right.
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day as well but for personal motivation. I measure myself about every 2 weeks and take pictures at least 3 weeks to a month between and compare. It's good to do it all!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

The scale can give false readings with water retention too, especially for women with hormonal fluctuations.

I do the scale, measurements, photos and using different clothes. I watch for a pattern over time. Ultimately I care about how small I am and how I look as opposed to how much I weigh. It's not like I have to fit into a weight category for a sport or something. So I'm more interested in measurements. Provided my body fat percentage is healthy, I'm fit, I look good and I fit into a particular clothing size then I'll be happy. Even if that weight turns out to be higher than my goal weight.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was always focusing on the scale. For the last month or so, I refused to look at the scale (until today) and focused on my workouts and healthy eating. I noticed I was losing my britches (literally) and tried on a smaller size I had in my closet and surprisingly enough, they fit perfectly. Today, because of that, I decided to weigh myself. Drum roll please..............only down a pound. True story.
  • shennin001
    shennin001 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every week. I was doing it every day, but since your body fluctuates a lot some days i would be a pound above and then the next day i would weigh two pounds under. This would really make me feel unmotivated. I think the best way is either every week or every 3 days.
  • YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    booboo68 wrote: »
    I was always focusing on the scale. For the last month or so, I refused to look at the scale (until today) and focused on my workouts and healthy eating. I noticed I was losing my britches (literally) and tried on a smaller size I had in my closet and surprisingly enough, they fit perfectly. Today, because of that, I decided to weigh myself. Drum roll please..............only down a pound. True story.

I could have written this!!! I'm into smaller clothes but my weight has been trickling VERY SLOWLY down. I think focusing only on one means of measurement can be misleading and result in frustration at times.