Calorie Intake

Options
Is anyone else having trouble reaching the goal target for daily calories? Mine is set at 1200 and I am finding that I am falling short 300-400 calories a day. I am spot on with protein and fats so if I intake more calories than I will be over on those. Is it better to not go over for protein/fats, etc and be under in calories or be spot on in calories and over in other areas? I am eating a lot of fruits, vegetables and chicken. Thanks for any input. My husband and I have been on this plan since the end of June and have both lost successfully so far!

Replies

• livingformykids3
    livingformykids3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do what's best for you I been under my calorie again it's been more veg and fruits
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You should always try to eat at least 1200 calories per day. MFP gives you the minimum for your macros, it's fine to go over. Most of us manually change our macro goal to suit us better anyway.

Are you using a food scale? If not, you may be eating at least 1200 anyway.
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We are weighing and measuring everything! We both have been under calories but do not feel hungry after eating. I am trying to get as close as possible to 1200 but it isn't always easy. That's why I was wondering how other people manage. Thanks for the input - greatly appreciate it!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    How did you get overweight if you cannot eat 1200 a day?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are minimums, not maximums. Better to be over in those and hit at least your minimum calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    We are weighing and measuring everything! We both have been under calories but do not feel hungry after eating. I am trying to get as close as possible to 1200 but it isn't always easy. That's why I was wondering how other people manage. Thanks for the input - greatly appreciate it!

How did you manage to eat way above that as you gained weight?

Are you cooking with oil? If you've gone to low fat dairy products, try buying fuller fat versions. Eat some avocado, nuts, peanut butter-more calorie dense foods. I'm sorry I do not share your dilemma. I think it's hard to eat at maintenance which is 1800 for me, I prefer to eat more than that.
  • lyndefisher
    Options
    I did not gain weight overnight...its been a few years and we only recently changed our eating habits to a more healthier lifestyle. Both my husband and I have drastically changed the way we eat. I am going to try and get more calories but just not that hungry. We do try and eat healthier fats like plain almonds, 2 oz chiclen or a lite cheesestick for snacks. I appreciate all the input from everyone
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Zactly.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Can't help you. I could eat 1200 calories at every meal and not even blink.

I don't. But I'm confident that I could. I'm thinking that may be why I got fat in the first place.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Zactly.

This all seems pretty simple..she said that now she's eating a lot of fruit, veggies, and chicken...assuming she ate much more calorie dense things before (chips, cookies, burgers, pizza, etc.) that would explain how she got overweight before and now has a hard time eating "enough"

OP I know how ya feel, I have a hard time eating a lot of calories, especially when I'm eating a lot of veggies and chicken like you..if you feel the need to catch up on calories, take a couple spoons of peanut butter, or maybe even ice cream!
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Not OP but before I started my weight loss journey I generally stuck to very high calorie foods. I didn't actually eat that much based on volume alone. When I started calorie counting I switched out high calorie foods for low calorie ones. It was difficult as the actual volume of food was more but the calories were only around 900-1000. So I learned to eat a bun with dinner or something.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I did not gain weight overnight...its been a few years and we only recently changed our eating habits to a more healthier lifestyle. Both my husband and I have drastically changed the way we eat. I am going to try and get more calories but just not that hungry. We do try and eat healthier fats like plain almonds, 2 oz chiclen or a lite cheesestick for snacks. I appreciate all the input from everyone

55 grams of chicken? For dinner? I really hope not. I have between 150g-200g for dinner! Why are you having such a small portion of chicken? I hope you meant that much for a snack.

Just because you're trying to eat healthy doesn't mean you can't have calorie dense foods. If you need the calories, have a single serving of potato chips, or a cookie, or an avocado, a milkshake, or a banana, I can think of 1000 things I would love to eat to increase my calories each day. It's definitely not a problem I share.
  • lyndefisher
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Danieltsmoke - thank you for understanding my point!! That is exactly how I gained weight by eating a lot of high calorie high fat foods and am now cutting them out. Some of the suggestions are good but I am also cutting back on breads (whole wheats really) and processed sugars which lets out buns and ice cream as a way of getting more calories. I have an issue with gallstones and from the suggestion of my chiropractor have cut these items out drastically and have felt so much better!!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiggghghghgt ....
  • XXpaigeybbzxx
    XXpaigeybbzxx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position.. And it's possible like me that your appetite went down you starting dieting.. And it's not just about the calories when you gain weight it's also to do with your metabolism so by asking 'how did you get overweight if you can't eat 1200' is a bit unfair in my opinion.. But yea I'm struggling to hit 1200 calories too.. I'm full up but still have like 600-700 to go! It's really frustrating
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    "Diet Adrenaline" Don't worry, it'll run out and the struggle will be real! :wink:
  • lyndefisher
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes, I meant snacks for the chicken. LOL Should have clarified that. For dinner I usually have about 4 oz of chicken but for snacks, I will take 2 oz to work with me. Thanks to those that understand my dilemma. I'm sure when I get down to goal and have to increase calories that I may also run into a problem but will deal with that when the time comes. Thank you XXpaigeybbzxx - I thought the comment about 1200 calories and being overweight actually didn't make sense to me. I wasn't watching what I ate or counting calories prior to this program - hence the weight gain!! LOL I think my appetite has gone down and eating more fruits and veggies has compensated for it. There's not a lot of calories in those and they have been filling me up. Thanks everyone for the responses!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    "Diet Adrenaline" Don't worry, it'll run out and the struggle will be real! :wink:

So true. Take it while you got it.. Because chances are it's not going to last

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're one of the lucky people that can get full eating a mountain of veggies and stay that way, I congratulate you. That is certainly not me.

If you're weighing everything, preferably in grams since it's more accurate, and are struggling to get to goal, then it's time to look at what you're eating and adjust. If you switched to low or no fat items, consider switching back to ones with higher fat content. Roast your veggies after coating them with a teaspoon or so of olive oil. Have a peanut butter sandwich.

I think you get the idea ;)

Shoot for hitting your calorie goal - maybe leaving 50 or so calories under to allow for errors if you'd like. Once you get that sorted, then try to hit your protein and fat goals, too. Let the carbs fall where they may.

~Lyssa
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Have to add I'm not sure "gallstones" and "chiropractor" belong in the same sentence. Having had a very serious condition stemming from gallstones, please see a doctor that is qualified to diagnose and treat a disorder like that, such as a gastroenterologist, not a chiropractor. Would you see a podiatrist for asthma?