Help finding a better step, sleep, and heart rate tracker

Options
Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place.
I recently have been having health issues; borderline diabetic, taking about 8 pills a day due to having gained weight, feet swelling, and trouble sleeping. I am also having blood drawn every month. I am spending quite a bit of money on the meds, doctors visits, and blood work. My doctor has continued to tell me that most of this will go away or at least lessen once I lose the weight. My brother who is very fit and his trainer have both told me to track my steps, food, sleep, and heart rate. My phone does a very poor job of tracking steps and I don't know how to track my heart rate or sleep on my phone. In fact I don't think my phone is accurate on my steps. Can someone please tell me how to track my heart rate, sleep, and steps better? I would be willing to spend some money on something if it could save me money in the long run on the meds, blood work, and less doctors visits.

Replies

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to track your heart rate during exercise, or all day?
  • anyrmca84
    anyrmca84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Both
  • jakimcd
    jakimcd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use vivofit2 and its awesome. It does not track heart rate though. The sleep tracker is amazing.
  • maytehsp0rksbewithy0u
    Options
    I would recommend the Fitbit Charge HR. It automatically tracks steps, HR, and sleep without needing to change modes. You can keep track of exercise on the app on your phone.

I don't have experience with it personally because I used the Fitbit Surge but if you're not using it much for exercise, I think that would be overkill.
  • anyrmca84
    Options
    Well I want it to track my heart rate. In all honesty that is becoming my biggest issue. I can find something g to track my sleep, food, and steps but I am having trouble tracking my heart rate. I'm not trying to be picky. I just need help with that.
  • RetroFlex15
    RetroFlex15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR and LOVE it, it does all of the things you are looking to do.
  • anyrmca84
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I will be using it a lot for exercise, heart rate, and sleep. I have looked at the surge and it has way too much and I didn't need all the access stuff. I think the other devices would work well for me even with other exercises besides walking.
  • maytehsp0rksbewithy0u
    Options
    amyrmca84 wrote: »
    I will be using it a lot for exercise, heart rate, and sleep. I have looked at the surge and it has way too much and I didn't need all the access stuff. I think the other devices would work well for me even with other exercises besides walking.

That's why I suggested the Charge HR. I bought the Surge when the Charge HR was out of stock and love it for its capabilities but would probably have liked the Charge too.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    amyrmca84 wrote: »
    My brother who is very fit and his trainer have both told me to track my steps, food, sleep, and heart rate.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. So step one is learning to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

Once you're accurately tracking your calories in, an activity tracker like Fitbit can help you track your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. Only the Charge HR and Surge track your heart rate, though.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    For exercise something with a chest strap is better, but you don't get all day heart rate monitoring. I use polar, but I've heard good things about the garmin products also. Polar activity monitors will give you steps, heart rate during exercise, and sleep monitoring.
  • anyrmca84
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am really leaning towards a Fitbit. I want the heart rate monitoring. Thanks again.