How could I put on 2.5lb over night?

Options
I weighed myself on Saturday and weighed in at 11st 6lb then by friday I weighed in at 11st 3lb (yippee) so I thought but then I weighed myself again Saturday morning and now weigh 11st 5.6lb.....why!! I've been good, drink lots of water, exercise nearly every day...I never seem to be able to get below 11st 3lb....It's like I get stuck there!!

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Normal weight fluctuates within a small range.
  • suziegolding22
    suziegolding22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So how do I know how much I'm losing? It makes me feel like I'm fighting a losing battle!! Should I only weigh in once a week or fortnight?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a calorie deficit, relax. Weigh yourself the same time (however often you'd like) to track your progress. Give it some time!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    So how do I know how much I'm losing? It makes me feel like I'm fighting a losing battle!! Should I only weigh in once a week or fortnight?
    Give yourself some time. . . . .like 3-5 years or at least a month. Saturday morning I was 204, by noon I was 201.2 by Sunday afternoon 200.7. What?!? How?!? Saturday was a 1 hour run, and Sunday was a 20 mile bike ride. By Tuesday I was 204. Normal fluctuations of weight in a week. Just give it time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    It's water weight fluctuation. If you live and die by the scale (meaning the number sets your mood), then you shouldn't weigh everyday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • suziegolding22
    Options
    :) ok I will keep going!! Just got to get past that 11st 3lb!!....thank you!!
  • pooks1976
    pooks1976 Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Water. There are 3500 cals in a pound. Have you eaten 8750 over maintenance in one day? My guess is probably not, so it is water. It will work itself out in a couple of days.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The amount of sodium you've taken in, how long it's been since you pooped, what kind of food you ate - it all has a bearing on the scale that has nothing to do with fat gain or loss. Throw a period in and all bets are off.

If you are going to flip out every time the scale goes up, weigh once a week or fortnight. If you get on the scale every day, prepare to watch it go up and down all the time...sometimes for no obvious reason. That's typical and normal.

I've only seen one poster here who never had fluctuations, but there's always a person for whom theses things don't hold true. For most of us, the scale goes up and down. :)
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I read recently to take your measurements for times just like this. While you may not be seeing the scale move down you may actually be losing inches.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It happens every day. I gain 3-5 pounds from morning up nite and one day to the next. Then one day I hit a new low and the fluctuations start all over again. I track my lows on the calendar. If you weigh daily or several times a week u will see your pattern. The last 2 weeks I've been sick & on vaca. No regular workouts, less walking than usual, and I've lost more than usual with no fluctuations. No idea why, but I'll take it and be prepared to bounce up again with no warning.

KEEP THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE. You are talking about a few days here. You're in this for the long haul. Some if us have experienced these patterns weekly for a year or more. Keep your eye on the long term goal. A daily fluctuation is nothing to get worried about. :smile:
  • suziegolding22
    Options
    Thank you x
  • suziegolding22
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the replies! Much appreciated, think I'm going to keep with the daily weigh in for a while but not let the scales get into my poor little head...I'm not going to give in now I've come too far, lost 1.5st since January, only one stone to go!!