Best breakfast smoothie

Options
SaraBud
SaraBud Posts: 15 Member
I am looking for ideas for healthy, filling morning smoothie recipes. I only have a blender, and I want wholesome, energy filled low cal options. I have been using almond milk, frozen strawberries and kaizen protein powder ( vanilla) but getting bored of the same smoothie every day . My brother throws in half and avocado but I think that's too many calories for me. What's your favourite ?

Replies

• EbnyIvry
    EbnyIvry Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    12 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 T protein powder, 4 oz strawberries, 1/2 banana, 1 T ground flaxseed, 1 T wheat germ. About 225 calories. Delicious.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are way too much work and cleanup for me. Eat a Dannon Light Greek yogurt and a banana.
  • SaraBud
    Options
    I love the sweet thick drink tho and I think the ground flaxseeds are a great idea . Danone yoghurt is very yummy tho
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Vanilla yogurt, canned pineapple (with juice) banana, half avocado, quarter zucchini, quarter cucumber, chia seeds, spinach! Comes in at 175 cals
  • SaraBud
    Options
    Wow that sounds yummy - do you have the proportions - pineapple avocado and 175 calories don't sound like they can exist in the same sentence
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    A banana is at least 100 calories by itself.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit
    skim milk
    nonfat yogurt
    peanut butter
    raw egg (cheaper than protein powder)
    oatmeal
  • SaraBud
    Options
    Peanut butter , raw egg and oatmeal are three things I never would have thought of putting in a smoothie... Is that dry or cooked oatmeal ?
  • Japessebas
    Japessebas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keffir milk.
    Sunflower seeds
    Walnuts
    Dry oatmeal
  • SaraBud
    Options
    I bought kefir this week - and I have walnuts and dry oatmeal...I'll try that in the morning - sounds hearty and filling and low carb at the sa,e time
  • LaurenNotLaura
    Options
    SaraBud wrote: »
    Wow that sounds yummy - do you have the proportions - pineapple avocado and 175 calories don't sound like they can exist in the same sentence

I use about a quarter cup of yogurt, 1 cup pineapple with the juice from the can, 1 banana, half a medium avocado, about a quarter of a raw zucchini, a quarter of a cucumber, about 1 heaping tbsp chia seeds, and 2 big handfuls of spinach. It makes 2 servings. I usually have one in the morning, then the other in that snacktime lull between dinner and bed lol
  • LaurenNotLaura
    Options
    That ones my favorite, but MFP said I don't get enough protein or fat in my daily regiment so yesterday I made a chocolate peanut butter smoothie with over double the protein and fat than is in this one. I used milk, yogurt, peanut butter, a little cocoa powder, avocado, honey, and chickpeas. It was good, very filling and much more than 175 cals lol
  • SaraBud
    Options
    Thanks for the tips - I am going to try pineapple and I love the chia seeds -Ames sense that the calorie count is only 175 if it makes two servings - does it go a weird colour if you put it in the fridge? I am so picky about the way my food looks that I have trouble drinking anything brown
  • SaraBud
    Options
    Other than coffee or tea of course !!!
  • kittysaysmeow420
    kittysaysmeow420 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    one of my favorites is a cup of your favorite coffee, a splash of milk 1 banana, 1 scoop of peanut butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, and a cup of ice. (i use a mocha flavored coffee) Delicious!! about 200 calories
  • kittysaysmeow420
    kittysaysmeow420 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    my other favorites is a healthy pina colada. Coconut water, banana, pineapple, ice.
  • LaurenNotLaura
    Options
    It's stays green. If it sits in the fridge too long it may separate a little, but a quick stir fixes that right up. I like my smoothie on the thicker side, more like a milkshake consistency, but if you like yours thinner add a little more pineapple juice, milk, or water to thin it out. Its not very high protein. But it is high fiber and will certainly help you up your fruit/veggie servings
  • LaurenNotLaura
    Options
    I've even left it overnight in the fridge and it's still green the next morning. I've also put in raw rinsed quinoa instead of chia seeds, if you have a good blender it'll chop it right up!
  • SaraBud
    Options
    Oh Kitty. ..coffee flavour smoothie ..what a treat especially with peanut butter. And thanks Laursim for the promise that the smoothie will stay green ...quinoa is such a good food... If I have leftovers I will try it in the smoothie- who would' ve ever thought?
  • LaurenNotLaura
    Options
    No problem! With a good enough blender you can put just about anything in a smoothie lol. I put chickpeas in my higher protein one this morning, couldn't tell at all! Even my kids drank it!