Cutting sugar and refined carbs

Options
so I've decided that I am going to cut all sugar and try to decrease my carbs as much as possible. I really really want to drop this weight. I want to keep sugar and refined carbs out of my life forever (or at least limit them from my diet forever). I want this to be a lifestyle change. I am huge on clean eating and I really don't eat junk. However, I have a hard time resisting the "feel good foods" when I am emotional or stressed. Any tips on how to transition to a low carbs lifestyle? Any tips on how to keep from reaching for the junk when my mood is not so good? Also, does anyone have any good substitutes for the "feel good foods"?

Replies

• mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sugar and refined carbs (ex: white bread and pasta and alcohol) isn't a bad move if you're trying to get lean, but if you do get rid of all the unhealthy carbs, I wouldn't worry too much about the healthy ones in your diet! Super low carb diets for extended periods of time isn't the best choice for most bodies. I've found that just by eliminating bad carbs from my diet, I'm naturally eating way less carbs than what is "recommended"!
  • Mandyrose1983
    Mandyrose1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try to stay more open minded about healthy carbs. I am just so done with this extra weight. The slow moving scale makes it hard to keep my momentum and motivation to stay diligent.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    how is your salt intake? you could be retaining water.
  • Mandyrose1983
    Options
    Nope... I barely eat any salt. I'm telling you, my diet is pretty much on point. I have had my thyroid tested, blood work done... You name it... It's my addiction to sugar that is slowing me down. I can't do moderation so I think I need to cut it completely
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    so those millions of people who lost weight without decreasing any carbs or sugar or whatever, what is your opinion on them? they are special snowflakes, they are lucky, they did it but still have an unhealthy diet?

carbs are not evil, and you do not need cut them to lose weight.

people need to be really thankful for that functioning pancreas #smh

I realize that none of the above answer your questions, but that was my 2 cents for you.

good luck!

Other than the fact that sugar is plain terrible for the body as it tricks the brain into overeating, many Americans are living with bodies that don't treat carbohydrates the same way.

I found out only last year that I had an endocrine disorder, resulting in my inability to process carbohydrates properly, and many people in the U.S. are living with similar issues and have no idea. 10% of adult women in the U.S. alone are living with these hormone disorders.

Because of how we heavily process some of our favorite carbs like bread, flour and so on, by the time those carbs hit our bodies, they retain very little nutritional value. Why waste calories on something so void of nutrients?

If she chooses to cut carbs, who cares? I have been living off of under 100 grams of carbs a day for a long time and my body finally functions properly. I know people who can eat as many carbs as they want and still lose weight. That never worked for me. It's just not fair to assume everyone's body will behave the same.

As long as she doesn't cut carbs completely, which it doesn't sound like she plans to, she is still healthy and on the right track.

To OP: it's your journey! I keep it low carb too so if you need any help, I'm here!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    so those millions of people who lost weight without decreasing any carbs or sugar or whatever, what is your opinion on them? they are special snowflakes, they are lucky, they did it but still have an unhealthy diet?

I realize that none of the above answer your questions, but that was my 2 cents for you.

good luck!

Why so hostile? OP didn't mention anything about other people or say it was the only way to lose weight. It's one way to decrease calories and it's the one she chose. If you don't like it, don't do it.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs but when I stopped eating them often, I dropped weight like crazy. When you eat them less, you crave them less. I just cut down to twice a week and then once a week. (I've added them back in more often now but try not to exceed 3 times a week.) Same wth sugar. I just stopped putting in my coffee and making sure my foods aren't loaded with it.
  • Mandyrose1983
    Options
    Thank you so much. I will try to taper down
  • Mandyrose1983
    Options

good luck!

Why so hostile? OP didn't mention anything about other people or say it was the only way to lose weight. It's one way to decrease calories and it's the one she chose. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Thanks for that!!! I wasn't sure how to respond to that person. Not into the negativity
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options

good luck!

Thanks for that!!! I wasn't sure how to respond to that person. Not into the negativity

People get weirdly defensive when you decide not to eat something that they eat, like somehow you do it just to feel like you're "better" than them or something. It's especially noticeable here. Try to ignore them and focus on your own journey.

I personally don't do low carb, but if it works for you, go for it; that just leaves more carbs for me :)
  • Mandyrose1983
    Options
    Hehehe. Thank you for the positivity. I am just gonna try this low carb thing. I don't think they're all bad. I'm gonna try to decrease as much as I can stand.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I cut back on carbs. The bad ones. But if you want some carbs don't deprive yourself. Just factor it into your calories. But I just feel better on workout days when I don't have a bunch of carbs in me. At least bad ones. But I still eat them. As for sugar, I feel like sugar will fall into place. If your not eating candy all day, and stuff like donuts all day it shouldn't go over. Moderation is key. Don't cut out completely, just not all day binge fests.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

good luck!

People get weirdly defensive when you decide not to eat something that they eat, like somehow you do it just to feel like you're "better" than them or something. It's especially noticeable here. Try to ignore them and focus on your own journey.

I personally don't do low carb, but if it works for you, go for it; that just leaves more carbs for me :)

Never once since using the forums I've never intended to be negative, big understanding here, what I got when I read her post was " I really need/want to lose weight so I'm gonna cut carbs", all I was trying to get her to think that is quite possible to lose all the weight she wants without doing that.
    When I wish her good luck was actually me trying to be nice.
    Again different opinion or not getting the answer that I want doesn't = negativity.

Wish you Good luck again OP

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hehehe. Thank you for the positivity. I am just gonna try this low carb thing. I don't think they're all bad. I'm gonna try to decrease as much as I can stand.
    I cut out breads and processed foods with good results.
    There is nothing more satisfying than nutritionally dense food, and as is said "you are what you eat".
    I want optimal health and peak fitness, so that means proper diet and hard, smart exercise.

It's simple.
    Good Luck!
    :)

• Tama072015
    Tama072015 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am diabetic and have been for 3/4 of my life. I eat as little of the "bad" carbs as possible, similar to the above mentioned like rice, bread, pasta etc. I have noticed no increase in blood sugar when choosing fruits and non-processed types of carbs. The less insulin you need seems to have a direct correlation with losing weight or not gaining it. I think weight loss or having a healthy body comes from cutting the crap. It is really hard to justify eating cake and finding any nutritional value. But wow, is it worth the pancreas scream every now and again? Absolutely!!!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options

good luck!

Never once since using the forums I've never intended to be negative, big understanding here, what I got when I read her post was " I really need/want to lose weight so I'm gonna cut carbs", all I was trying to get her to think that is quite possible to lose all the weight she wants without doing that.
    Again different opinion or not getting the answer that I want doesn't = negativity.

There is a big difference between

"you don't have to cut sugar to lose weight; many people are successful without eliminating sugar"

and

"so those millions of people who lost weight without decreasing any carbs or sugar or whatever, what is your opinion on them? they are special snowflakes, they are lucky, they did it but still have an unhealthy diet? "

You are allowed to say whatever you wish, I'm not disputing that, but if you truly want someone to take your message to heart, you might want to choose your words more carefully. More flies with honey and all that.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

good luck!

There is a big difference between

"you don't have to cut sugar to lose weight; many people are successful without eliminating sugar"

and

"so those millions of people who lost weight without decreasing any carbs or sugar or whatever, what is your opinion on them? they are special snowflakes, they are lucky, they did it but still have an unhealthy diet? "

You are allowed to say whatever you wish, I'm not disputing that, but if you truly want someone to take your message to heart, you might want to choose your words more carefully. More flies with honey and all that.

I think I explain my self already enough, apparently there was a tone in my words that I don't get to see especially the HOSTILE and negativity part. my apologies for both of you.

/thread
  • priscillam31
    priscillam31 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Nope... I barely eat any salt. I'm telling you, my diet is pretty much on point. I have had my thyroid tested, blood work done... You name it... It's my addiction to sugar that is slowing me down. I can't do moderation so I think I need to cut it completely

Same here. I love sweets. I have tried other ways but I finally just had to cut them out of my diet completely. I have been refined sugar and carb free for a while. I do still eat fruit and veg, can't live with out that. But I also cut my caffeine intake by 90%, as caffeine makes you crave sugar. I drink 1 cup of coffee a day, and I am drinking the yogi slim life a couple times per day. But that's it, no soft drinks. I have found that once I got past the first few days I wasn't even craving sweets anymore. Good luck to you!!
  • Mandyrose1983
    Options

Same here. I love sweets. I have tried other ways but I finally just had to cut them out of my diet completely. I have been refined sugar and carb free for a while. I do still eat fruit and veg, can't live with out that. But I also cut my caffeine intake by 90%, as caffeine makes you crave sugar. I drink 1 cup of coffee a day, and I am drinking the yogi slim life a couple times per day. But that's it, no soft drinks. I have found that once I got past the first few days I wasn't even craving sweets anymore. Good luck to you!!

Wow!! Thank you so much!!! That was so helpful. I love sugar. I want to cut it out completely but it's hard when I don't know how long the withdrawals will be. I know everyone is different but at least now I have an idea. Thank u so much!!