Hip Flexor Strain

Options
donnace7
donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
Apparently, I didn't stretch properly before starting a new walking program and strained my hip flexor - I'm not in severe pain - just mild pain when getting up and down from a sitting, lying position, getting in and out of car, mostly. I keep thinking if I just take it easy, that it will work itself out. I've made the mistake of trying to garden, etc. But - it seems that even something mild like vacuuming/cleaning for a long period of time takes me back to square one. I've been reading online and it looks like there is basically NO cardio I can do in the meantime that will not damage it further. Despite that I've tried some leisurely type walks, but that also makes it sore. I've been doing some "glute" exercises to strengthen the opposite muscle. (Interestingly, the first night I did these, I re-strained it (again), so I'm trying to stick to exercises that I know won't hurt it more.)

I'm getting extremely frustrated because it seems that all I can do is sit in a chair and do nothing until this goes away. That's not very realistic when I'm working, taking care of a home with two big doggies, etc..

Because I'm not in severe pain, I don't think a doctor's visit is justified for now. Anyone know how long it takes something like this to go away? I'm definitely no athlete, but I hadn't realized how much better I feel (all over) even when I just do the cardio machines a few times a week, so I'm ready to get back in the game. I know the exercise doesn't significantly help with my weight loss, but it has a hand in it. (I've decreased my daily calories a little to try to compensate)

These community boards are so active with great advice, that I thought this would be a good place to ask. All tips and advice are GREATLY appreciated!!

Lesson definitely learned about stretching before ANY kind of exercise.

Replies

• donnace7
    Options
    These boards are so busy that by the time you post something, its already bumped to Page 2:wink:
  • janelleclayton9
    janelleclayton9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

OMG can you please tell me how you are doing? I saw your post and I am in this exact boat. I used to run and I strained my hip flexor and have been trying to rest and nothing seems to help. This morning I felt great and then I vacuumed and now I am in so much pain! I have given myself time off from doing anything but like you said just doing normal activities seems to flare it up! I'm in tears as I'm writing you please help, let me know what you did, how long it took. I am on antiinflamitory meds from my doctor light stretching from PT. Etc.
  • donnace7
    Options
    Hi,

OMG can you please tell me how you are doing? I saw your post and I am in this exact boat. I used to run and I strained my hip flexor and have been trying to rest and nothing seems to help. This morning I felt great and then I vacuumed and now I am in so much pain! I have given myself time off from doing anything but like you said just doing normal activities seems to flare it up! I'm in tears as I'm writing you please help, let me know what you did, how long it took. I am on antiinflamitory meds from my doctor light stretching from PT. Etc.

Don't know if you're still around, but I wanted to say that Yoga has been my lifesaver when it comes to misc. "old lady" pains (I'm 47 so I can call them that :wink: ). Resolved the hip issue, pinched nerve in neck, back pains, etc.. Good luck to you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    get a foam roller and look up youtube videos on how to do it. you will be glad you did. its great for all kinds of things like that.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If ypu have an Airrosti clinic near you get an appointment. They are licensed chiropractors that train to specialize in soft tissue. They are also not concerned with keeping you coming back forever. They want to reduce the pain to manageable levels within 3-6 treatments.