New with questions

Options
Just starting out. Goal is to lose 50 or 60 pounds. I've been reading some of the posts and there's lots of good info here. Reading these forums will be my new time-suck, when I"m supposed to be working and cleaning.
Anyway, I have some questions if anyone can help out:

1. Does drinking water really making a difference for weight loss? I thought it was just CICO
2. Any ideas to stop evening eating? I know it’s a bad habit but I often end up eating what amounts to a second dinner.
3. MFP told me to eat 1200 calories based on my height weight and activity. How do I not be hungry all the time?
4. If weight loss is all about CICO, does that mean I can eat bread?

I've also decided I'm joining a gym this week but I'm not going to kill myself. My joints hurt and muscles ache now without exercise.

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Weightloss you can eat what you want, nitrition and health are more anout balancing protein fat and carbs.

You get used to it, hunger should die down. But also being hungry isn't going to kill you. But maybe your goal is set to aggressive.

Second dinner, maybe plan on having a snack and that's it. Sounds like you graze in the evening.

You need water. Water is t a weightloss thing it's a staying alive thing :smiley: water is in a lot of things, it doesn't mean pure water, tea coffee, fruit all have water.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It does come down to CICO, yes. Pre-log your days. 1200 is your base and you will be earning more through exercise. You can eat whatever you want so long as it fits into your allotment.
    Welcome to MFP and good luck.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options

1. It helps keep you hydrated and helps me not constantly want to snack
    2. You can eat in the evening just save some calories
    3. Did you set it to lose 2 lbs a week? If so set it to .5 or 1 lb a week to start
    4. Yes as long as it's within your calories

If you're just starting I'd start with walks around your neighborhood first. Too many changes at once can be overwhelming and gyms and all of the different equipment can be really overwhelming

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1. Debatable - Drinking water is good for you regardless.
    2. Strengthen your willpower. Are you really hungry or are you just bored? If you can't say no, find low-calorie snacking options and just make sure you have some spare calories left for them.
    3. You want foods that are filling. 1200 calories in chocolate isn't much food, but 1200 calories in vegetables is a ton of food. You can easily go over 1200, thats an absolute minimum - you need that just to stay alive. Most people are "lightly active". I have an activity tracker that has been great - it has figured out what I burn in being alive each day so I can work my calories off that.
    4. Definitely. You can also eat chocolate, chips, lollies, ice-cream or whatever you want. Just as long as you eat less than you burn.

If you are having so much body/joint aches already, maybe try and lose a little weight first before joining a gym. All you need for weight loss is to maintain the principles of CICO. Maybe try just walking around your neighbourhood for now.

I look at it this way: Exercise is for fitness, nutrients are for health and calories are for weightloss.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    50andfabu wrote: »
    Just starting out. Goal is to lose 50 or 60 pounds. I've been reading some of the posts and there's lots of good info here. Reading these forums will be my new time-suck, when I"m supposed to be working and cleaning.
    Anyway, I have some questions if anyone can help out:

1. Does drinking water really making a difference for weight loss? I thought it was just CICO
    2. Any ideas to stop evening eating? I know it’s a bad habit but I often end up eating what amounts to a second dinner.
    3. MFP told me to eat 1200 calories based on my height weight and activity. How do I not be hungry all the time?
    4. If weight loss is all about CICO, does that mean I can eat bread?

I've also decided I'm joining a gym this week but I'm not going to kill myself. My joints hurt and muscles ache now without exercise.

1. Does drinking water really making a difference for weight loss? I thought it was just CICO - Water is not a magic weight loss elixir. Yes, weight loss is all about CICO.
    2. Any ideas to stop evening eating? I know it’s a bad habit but I often end up eating what amounts to a second dinner. - So long as you're at/under your calorie limit, it's not a problem. We don't have to eat at our home country's hours when we fly half way round the world.
    3. MFP told me to eat 1200 calories based on my height weight and activity. How do I not be hungry all the time? - How tall are you? Will you be using a step counter to add calories to your daily limit? If so, set your activity to sedentary which will give you more calories. Also, eat more calorie dense foods to stay satiated longer (foods with more protein or fat.)
    4. If weight loss is all about CICO, does that mean I can eat bread? - Yes. But it's high in calories, so you might find it difficult to eat a lot.

Good luck!
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    1. Yes water is very important. It helps your kidneys remove the waste products of fat metabolism.
    2. I have found that if I increase high fiber foods mostly vegetables I am less hungry. I eat them raw them when I feel like grazing and they have good crunch value. some are carrots, cucumbers, cauliflower, mini sweet peppers, and sugar snap peas.
    3. The more exercise you do the more you can eat. You must be honest about it or you will defeat yourself.
    4. You can eat whatever you want whenever you want. Look for foods that have good staying power.
    5. You will find that your joints may hurt and muscles may ache but if you move, at least walk, it aches will go away. A reasonable amount every day is better than being a weekend warrior.

Best wishes
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses. Great note about the weekend warrior...that has been my issue in the past. I go all out at first but don't sustain it.