"Some mild disc bulging"

Options
I have been suffering from worsening back pain since thanksgiving, and ended up having an MRI done. I was told this is a normal finding and try PT. anyone have personal experience with this? My worry is I love weight lifting and running, and I'm afraid they are going to say quit this

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've had a herniated disk since 2005. The initial episode was very bad, resulting in sciatica all down my leg and foot. I now have maybe two episodes a year and I've learned to live with it. It's not going away. Aleve for a solid week prevents inflammation from going down my leg though.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen dosent help me much.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have advice with this?
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery last month for a herniated disc. I had about a year of dealing with it prior to the surgery. Tried PT, steroids, a whole host of other medications. I tried to stay as active as possible and was doing ok with it, but in March I shoveled snow and couldn't walk the next day. Surgery was on 7/7 with a second surgery on 7/24 due to an infection. Was just cleared for "everything" last week. For the last month I've been walking 3-5 miles a 5-6 days a week.

If your dr has not told you not t lift weights or run I would continue to do so. I would make sure you are using proper form and if anything exercise will help make you stronger. I did quit all activity back in March as I was in just too much pain. Now I am having to make up for months of lost activity. Continue to do what you can. Some herniations never get so bad to require surgery.
  • yazpistachio
    yazpistachio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease and I really recommend PT. Most PTs are very pro exercise and they will do whatever they can to keep you active, whether it is special exercises to build up muscles in order to not aggravate the injury, or giving you good alternatives to the exercises worsening your discs.

You will more than likely need an operation eventually, but being proactive by going to a PT and modifying your exercise will postpone it significantly.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've had intermittent lower back pain since 2004, which usually flares up a couple times each year. Most recently I had issues in May (spring landscaping gets me every year), and my chiropractor's x-rays showed a couple compressed and/or bulging lumbar discs. When I made it clear to him that I refused to give up running and lifting, he suggested that I invest in an inversion table for home use. My back has been on good behavior ever since I followed his advice.

Obviously your condition may not respond as well to the treatment, but it may be worth a Google search at least.