Is 20 mins of exercise enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    TFor optimal health a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate activity a week will move you out of the sedentary category...

I don't think so. 20 minutes a day of moderate activity and nothing else is still sedentary.

• robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    But that doesn't answer my question - where are you getting that figure from - typically or otherwise?

I currently weigh 270 lbs and I pull about 800 calories for an hour's spin class where my average heart rate is 83%. This data is from a heart rate monitor. I have lots of historical data from cycling at various weights and a long distance ride of 80 miles + at an average speed of 17 mph would net me about 600 an hour.

So a rule of thumb I use is 10 calories per minute for a fairly hard workout.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your physical exertion is, but typically you can burn 200 calories within 20 minutes.

That seems awfully high. Where are you getting that figure from?

The keyword being typically.... you can typically burn 10 calories a minute. 10x20= 200

For a 160 pound human to burn 200 calories in 20 minutes they would need to run 2 miles. So 20 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace.

Definitely doable, not sure it's "typical".
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Why are you getting only six hours of sleep? Is it a scheduling thing, insomnia, sleep apnea? Are there changes you can make to increase that amount? Sleep is important to weight loss, physical and mental health.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 20 minutes. Since that's all you have to exercise. How much time do you have to eat?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 20 minutes. Since that's all you have to exercise. How much time do you have to eat?

I believe OP was referring to stamina, not time available.

• JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine always says "Abs are made in the kitchen." If you're eating within your macros and calorie range exercise if just an added bonus!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

I believe OP was referring to stamina, not time available.

yeah that was my understanding too

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Depending on which standard you look at, that amount is probably not quite enough for general cardiovascular health and increased longevity. Check out this article:

well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/the-right-dose-of-exercise-for-a-longer-life/?WT.mc_id=2015-KWP-AUD_DEV&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&kwp_0=18141&kwp_4=118587&kwp_1=148985&_r=0

Whether or not that is enough for YOU to lose weight depends on your body. Track carefully and see whether or not that level of exercise works for you.
  • Wiley285
    Wiley285 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My experience is that I need to eat before I work out (not right before, of course) I'm usually in the gym about an hour after breakfast. If, for some reason, I don't have breakfast (rare), I notice a clear drop in stamina. The same things holds for me with water. If I'm at all dehydrated, my workout sucks.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Carey125 wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering, is 20 minutes of cardio exercise enough to loose weight?

It seems lately that I am extremely exhausted when I try to work out. I'm not sure why, but it's killing me. (Not enough sleep, too much work, not eating right who knows?) Lately 20 mins is all I have been able to do before I start to feel tired and get the shakes. So do you think bumping down to 20 mins a day will still continue to help me loose weight?

Thank in advance for any advice.

This sounds like you are not adequately fuelling your workout

How many calories are you eating and are you eating back your exercise calories and if so what proportion?
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Depends on intensity 20 minutes can be plenty. The important thing is you push yourself. If you keep testing your limits pretty soon you will exceed them.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Carey125 wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering, is 20 minutes of cardio exercise enough to loose weight?

It seems lately that I am extremely exhausted when I try to work out. I'm not sure why, but it's killing me. (Not enough sleep, too much work, not eating right who knows?) Lately 20 mins is all I have been able to do before I start to feel tired and get the shakes. So do you think bumping down to 20 mins a day will still continue to help me loose weight?

Thank in advance for any advice.

This sounds like you are not adequately fuelling your workout

How many calories are you eating and are you eating back your exercise calories and if so what proportion?

^What rabbit said.