Choosing a Goal Weight

Options
I'm curious how those of you who have reached goal decided on that weight. I'm 5'10" and have gone from 253 to 162 since April '14. Originally, I wanted to get to 153 (partially because that's about what I was in high school, partially because that would make an even 100 lbs. lost). However, the last month or two have proved to be very challenging and I'm not sure whether to "give up" (although I don't think of it that way because I'm quite proud of how far I've come) and continue in maintenance or keep pushing myself to get to that specific number on the scale. Any thoughts?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Penny - I'm also 5'10" and 55. I only got to 189, but originally wanted to get to 170, then reset to 160 and am now 150. I was also 150-155 in college and after both my kids were born. Our 'ideal' weight is 152 or so and it looks good on me.

I dropped to 170 really fast and to 160 easily. Those last 5 pounds took quite a while (my goal was eventually the 150-155 range). And then I hit 155 and it fell off until 150. I upped my calories by 250 at that point and maintained until I suddenly dropped another 5 pounds and had to up my calories again.

162 is fantastic and a huge triumph. I found for me that if I lowered my carbs to around 40%, the weight came off even though my calories didn't change. I don't know if you've tried that, but it is especially true if you've been quite overweight and are a bit insulin resistant. I also know when I did research before I first started losing that EVERYONE slows down at the end. But you have this down pretty well, so just being patient with it and staying the course is probably a good thing.

I do know from my own experience that (a) once I upped my calories I definitely didn't feel like lowering them again and (b) it is a lot easier to lose weight than to maintain it. I have maintained for several years, but a lot of people drift upwards. So I think it's better to start at the BOTTOM of where you want to be, rather than the top.

Why not get a fitbit and start focusing on exercising? Eat your exercise calories back. Keep at your deficit. It gives you a new goal and exercise is key for maintenance.

Congratulations whatever you decide!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Are you watching your sugar grams?? I lowered my sugar gm in MFP to 45 gm and try to eat between 45 & 60 (sometimes go over--you can check my diary). I was stuck for a while but once I really started watching the sugar I lost the few lbs I wanted to (and then some). This was not only the added sugar, but the naturally occurring sugar (like in milk, fruit, past, etc.). That and agree w/above abt changing some of your macros. Good luck. B)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    the number on the scale is pretty arbitrary and made up of a multitude of things beyond fat. I would pay more attention to BF% and composition than actual weight. People get far too obsessed with some random number they pull out of their *kitten*.

Meet Staci

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Believe it or not, she’s 11 pounds HEAVIER (142 pounds) in the picture on the right (May 2011) compared to the picture on the left (131 pounds, October 2010).

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    PennyHartz wrote: »
    I'm curious how those of you who have reached goal decided on that weight. I'm 5'10" and have gone from 253 to 162 since April '14. Originally, I wanted to get to 153 (partially because that's about what I was in high school, partially because that would make an even 100 lbs. lost). However, the last month or two have proved to be very challenging and I'm not sure whether to "give up" (although I don't think of it that way because I'm quite proud of how far I've come) and continue in maintenance or keep pushing myself to get to that specific number on the scale. Any thoughts?

Maintain for a few weeks and then decide.
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Are you watching your sugar grams?? I lowered my sugar gm in MFP to 45 gm and try to eat between 45 & 60 (sometimes go over--you can check my diary). I was stuck for a while but once I really started watching the sugar I lost the few lbs I wanted to (and then some). This was not only the added sugar, but the naturally occurring sugar (like in milk, fruit, past, etc.). That and agree w/above abt changing some of your macros. Good luck. B)
    I'll be the first to admit that I have a horrible sweet tooth! I have definitely thought about cutting back on my sugar and carbs to see if that helps me shed this last few pounds.
    cwolfman13- this is precisely why I'm wondering if I need to readjust my goal weight. I feel like I have a lot more muscle on me than I did the last time I weighed 153. I'm not sure how to go about getting my bf % tested though. I know there is a place locally where you can pay to use the Bod Pod, but that is sort of cost prohibitive for me right now.
    I am very active and focused on my fitness goals; currently training for a half marathon and incorporate strength training and yoga on my days off from running.
    Thanks for your input everyone! I will definitely consider lowering my carbs and sugar consumption and if that doesn't seem to make a difference I may need to start saving for a body composition test.