4 pound weight gain in 4 days?!

Options
Ok, I'm trying not to freak out too much, but I need some feedback here. I went on vacation over the holiday weekend which involved a TON of driving. I didn't have any time to work out while I was away. I tried my best to eat right, but I'm sure there were times I could have made better decisions. Anyway, I get home and the next morning I weigh myself and it says I'm 4 pounds heavier than I was the night before I left on vacation. Is it seriously possible for me to have gained that much in 4 days? Or does being inactive for a few days somehow pack on the pounds?! It's hard for me to say last week I've lost a total of 15 pounds, and now this week I can only say I've lost 11. :(

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'll bet a lot of it is water weight. If you ate a lot more sugary and salty food than you normally would, it's probably resulting from that. You should be able to drop it again really quickly if you get back on your diet.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Sodium weight. Drink water, weigh yourself in 3 days.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Definitely sodium....drinks loads of water...put some slices in lemon if you get water logged...and i'm sure you'll be fine. :)
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    A lot of driving can make you retain water. Were your ankles swollen at all? Did you eat too much salt? Drink extra water for a day or two and see if that doesn't make a difference.
  • dottedone
    dottedone Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you for asking this! I had the same problem. I've been drinking water and yes, it is coming off.

I was bloat city on Monday!
  • scottnbarbi
    Options
    I'm up and down by as much as five pounds, I assume it is due to the amount of water and waste in my system fluctuating. A couple of drinks will do it every time, too.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's water weight--might be TOM adding to it. Pay close attention to your salt intake and drink your water. In a day or two you'll be back there.
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    It's water. Weigh in again tomorrow and I promise you'll see a difference. :)
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Did you drink alcohol? That packs in the calories too fast. Up your water just a bit 1 - 2 cups for 3 days or so. Then, weigh yourself next monday. Good luck!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If sitting around and doing nothing makes you gain a pound a day, I'd be much, much bigger! I'm sure the pounds will drop right off once you get back on track.
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would definately agree with the water retention theory here. It happens to me every time I go on a long road trip as well. Not sure if it is just the act of sitting in the car, the fact that I tend to eat more sodium on the road, or what. I just know that even when I think I was good, the scale will say +3 to 5 lbs every time I go out of town. Usually drops off within a few days.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    SODIUM
  • kathrynsm
    kathrynsm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It could have been your sodium intake, because I know if I am on vacation and not making the meals you never know how much salt is added. Drink plenty of water over the next few days and get back on schedule and I bet you the pounds will come off again soon! Hope this helps :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sodium weight. Drink water, weigh yourself in 3 days.

^^^This. Did you eat a lot of processed foods? Eat out a lot? Not drink enough water? You'll be fine...:flowerforyou:
  • Nekkoli
    Nekkoli Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm guessing water retention, try raw cabbage juice, alot of people wouldn't think to use it but it's great for water retention and many other things....beware it smells awful but doesn't taste like anything.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yup, my money's on too much sodium and not enough water. Give me a plate of Mexican food and I can gain 5 pounds overnight. :wink: Drink tons of water and eat well and it'll be gone in a few days.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how you were in a car, im assuming you werent pounding back water... water u need to loose weight.. its just water weight. You also weighed yourself at night before you left, and then came back and weighed in the monring... Big no no. I always weigh myself at the same time everyday. Im heavier at night by about 3 pounds usually than I am in the morning. Some people are heavier in mornings and lighter at night.. Also, alot of girls bloat around certain times of the month; so maybe now you are closer to that time of the month and retaining more water for that reason.

Alot of people go on vacation and then are forced to go out to eat and stop of quick places in between driving, etc etc so even if u stayed within your calories, you probably had alot of excess sodium..
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You know, I stalled when I drove 7 hours on a Fri, then 7 back on a Sun. Didn't gain any, but didn't lose any. The sucky thing is I didn't lose the same amount of weight that I normally do. Wasn't Aunt Flow, drank a TON of water and stayed on my diet. I'm guessing that I just hit a snag. After that I've kept to about 2lbs a week loss, so ???
  • cmh7770
    cmh7770 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Had the same exact thing happen to me last weekend but decided to dig in hard and eat really well and exercise and took it all back off in just a day and a half. And, I am 52 yrs old so usually when that happens its all water weight. I had eaten some bacon and eggs and a couple of hot dogs and that held onto the water. Keep on going girl, you've already lost around 15 -don't stop now! ONE day at a time. EVERY single choice you make (the good ones) are getting you closer to your goal. Smile and just keep on going!!!! You're doing great! Stay off that scale and keep concentrating on your food and exercise journal. :)