Pcos... What are you doing?

Options
Hey ladies,

So I know I have asked for advice before but I'm here asking again. My diary is open so if people want to look at it I'm cool with that. Just please don't judge.

So I'm struggling with the right things to do in regards to my pcos. I've been trying to do as much research as possible and I've come across so many different theories as to the best ways to get and stay healthy. I know that dieting is cico however I also know that when you are dealing with things like pcos it isn't always that simple.
A bit of background I grew up with eating disorders so I find calorie counting hard but I am trying. Also I am not pushing myslef hard in some ways because I want to get used to having healthy foods in my diet before I really loser my calories too much.

I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed right now and would love to hear from you.

Thanks Becca

Replies

• rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi. The big secret I learned is that you have to eat good fats. I don't have PCOS but something similar that makes weight loss a hard thing to achieve. So the good fats are like olive oil. I used to eat around 20 grams of fat for a day. I'm now closer to 50 to 60 grams but I aim to get higher at some point. Avocado (say 1/4 of one) is also a good fat. Then, as you go along lower your carbs. The recommendations on here are too high. So lower carbs and sugar. Increase your protein. The protein can be from meats and seeds. You can also buy some whey protein at Wal-mart and have a daily drink or two of that.

I eat around 1200 to 1500 calories a day. I've lost 20 pounds in five weeks and I am not hungry. Good luck.
  • onlytati
    onlytati Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It might be worth talking with your doc about medication possibilities. Metformin has worked well for some people I know. Diet is only one part of the equation.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That is awesome loss. Way to go! I don't like avocado I wonder if there are alternatives.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    Options
    onlytati wrote: »
    It might be worth talking with your doc about medication possibilities. Metformin has worked well for some people I know. Diet is only one part of the equation.

I do take metfornin but it doesn't work as well as I would like.
  • xProfLupin
    xProfLupin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Since I was just given Metformin (and Sprintec which is estrogen birth control), I wonder if you have a high enough dosage? I was trying to find info from all around the interwebs and I read that some people take, like, 3 500mg of metformin a day. I'm only taking 1x500mg a day but it's probably for the doctor to see if I lost weight, felt differently, slept better, etc. I'm losing weight since I started Monday but it's mainly water weight from all the (tmi) diarreha from all the carbs/lettuce that it seems to hate).

I'm no expert but I'd still like to know the troubles you are having with it in case I notice it in my journey as well.. what isn't working so well for you? The weight loss or other things as well?
  • RebeccaMaunder
    Options
    With the metfornin I also get the tummy issues. Mostly I'm not finding that I'm losing any weight on it. I'm not sure if the dose is high enough or what but I've been on it for years so I'm wondering if my body is just used to it now so it's not working as effectively. I can't take estrogen as it makes me super sick. Well at least not in the form if any bc. I've tried most of them and I got violently ill with them all....which helped me to lose weight just not in a healthy way.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

So I know I have asked for advice before but I'm here asking again. My diary is open so if people want to look at it I'm cool with that. Just please don't judge.

So I'm struggling with the right things to do in regards to my pcos. I've been trying to do as much research as possible and I've come across so many different theories as to the best ways to get and stay healthy. I know that dieting is cico however I also know that when you are dealing with things like pcos it isn't always that simple.
    A bit of background I grew up with eating disorders so I find calorie counting hard but I am trying. Also I am not pushing myslef hard in some ways because I want to get used to having healthy foods in my diet before I really loser my calories too much.

I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed right now and would love to hear from you.

Thanks Becca
    Ways to add fat to the diet: chicken thighs, chicken legs, full fat salad dressing, full fat milk, cheese, and other dairy, avocados, hummus, almonds, chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, soy beans.
  • shelbie936
    shelbie936 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the most luck on losing with PCOS, using low carb high fat.....look for a lchf support group and see if it may work for you......
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm on a combination of Tri-Sprintec and Aldactone (androgen blocker). I haven't been following a specific diet though.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some other medical issue along with PCOS, then you do nothing special. Count calories, exercise daily (this is critical for reducing symptoms, regardless of weight). There is no special diet, you can just lose weight like everyone else, or overcomplicate it for no reason. If symptoms persist after weight loss, or if your appearance is affected because of hirsuitims or hair loss, then your dr might prescribe androgen suppressants or other meds.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Unless you have some other medical issue along with PCOS, then you do nothing special. Count calories, exercise daily (this is critical for reducing symptoms, regardless of weight). There is no special diet, you can just lose weight like everyone else, or overcomplicate it for no reason. If symptoms persist after weight loss, or if your appearance is affected because of hirsuitims or hair loss, then your dr might prescribe androgen suppressants or other meds.

I wish I lost weight just like everyone else. I have never been able to. Even in my younger years when I was extremely active.
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My daughter has pcos. First of all let me say I'm sorry you have to go through this. From everything I've learned one mainstay in controlling weight is lowering carbohydrates with particular emphasis on sugars. Flour, potatoes, white rice etc. the reasoning behind this: simple carbs and sugars increase cortisol which in turn raises estrogen which your body will change to androgens like testosterone. The majority of women with pcos tend to gain weight which becomes incredibly hard to lose without changing the contents of the diet. Clean foods are very important as antibiotics, hormones and pesticides are in our food supply. Frankly my daughter and I love the sweets but in order to control the pcos she has begun taking Lo Lo Estrin. The lower estrogen from our understanding is best as there is an imbalance between estrogen and progesterone (the feel good hormone). Along with lowering sugar intake is the beginning of controlling the inflammation associated with pcos. Pcos is also associated with metabolic syndrome which is a prediabetic condition. Insulin sensitivity is a part of the condition but you have the tools to conquer this through diet. The fact that you are here proves it! You can do this.
    E.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Lower carb, limiting dairy and soy, and exercising daily helps me lose. I recently fell in love with running. It helps stabilize my moods too.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hummus has a good fat in it. (Sesame Oil) For me, adding the good fats was step one and I felt better. I added it for maybe two weeks before I started to look for something to boost the protein. Cook everything with olive oil and you tend to feel full. Also, don't stay away from saturated fats if they come from a whole food/lean source.

• orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, I aim to hit my macros as:
    50 carbs
    30 protein
    20 fat
    That is definitely not set in stone, I mostly focus on my calories and hitting my protein/vitamin goals.
    I've lost 100lbs
    (which puts me almost half way)
  • SurelyShannon
    SurelyShannon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I went off of my metformin and before joining this site I lost 48lbs. My doc wasn't 100% sure if I had PCOS, but put me on metformin and I was actually gaining weight with it (15lbs in 3 weeks) I lasted 2 months and just stopped. I talked to my doctor and he said it sounded really odd to him. So I just work out and try and eat as healthy as I can and seems to work. I use to lift really heavy weights and loved it, but it wasn't helping anything with my weightloss so I do interval running and that has seen me through a lot of my weight loss.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I wish I lost weight just like everyone else. I have never been able to. Even in my younger years when I was extremely active.

So you have been eating too much. Either too calorie dense food, or too large portions. Just like everyone else who ends up with extra weight ;) Count calories for a few weeks, and you will be surprised. Make sure to be accurate, counting everything, per ingredient, using a food scale. No eyeballing portions and not guessing.
  • jacquebeavs
    jacquebeavs Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @RebeccaMaunder

I also have PCOS and just recently found an article about the effects of ketosis on the symptoms of PCOS. A Keto diet is the way to go from what I understand. It is basically what most have said: low carbs and high in fats. The key is balancing with protein. You can find all kinds of Keto recipes and information on ketosis online. If you type in 'keto macro calculator' the 1st or 2nd result is a really helpful website on how ti get started. It also explains what to do and why you should do it.

I just started the diet 2-3 weeks ago and I've lost 4ish pounds. If you need help let me know!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    I have PCOS. I've lost 3st2lb since January. By eating less (weighing my food) and moving more. That really is all there is to it. I eat every food I like, just less of it.

PCOS doesn't make us magical creatures who can't lose weight I'm afraid. It does increase appetite and weight loss can be slower but unfortunately it all comes down to us eating too much and not moving enough. Harsh but true.

I sugar coated my weight loss for so many years, made excuses that I had a condition blah blah blah. Fact was... I ate too much. End of.

Weigh your foods, move yourself more and trust me the weight will come off. I'm proof of that. Be accountable and don't let a "condition" dictate your eating habits. Best thing I ever did becoming accountable. Now rocking 9st12lb like a boss.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels, besides being a ridiculously hot and fit 43 year old - has PCOS - so it is certainly not a life sentence to be overweight. If you google her name and PCOS there are some videos and articles on her suggestions on how to overcome it with diet and exercise. Symptoms ease as the weight comes off, so you have that to look forward to. In the beginning though, you have to push through and learn new habits.