Sodium question..

Options
I'm sure this is common knowledge but I'm tring to change my ways so here we go.

I've change my diet from a 3500-4000 cal full of saturated fats to a more reasonable 2500/cal ( an honest 2500 cal ) diet yet it seems my sodium intake is always off the chart. My blood pressure in low/ cholesteral 175/ & on a good day my suger is 90. Since starting to use the "food Tracking" option on this site I was shocked at such a high number. I've kept the fats to 35(g) or less but it seems all my spices are nothing but salt. Should this be a worry for me or should I just worry about my total cal intake to start? Thanks & on a side note I have over 100lbs to lose .

Replies

• sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal. If your blood pressure is low, you're probably okay to go over on your sodium from a health perspective. But if you care what the scale says, you'll probably want to cut down. Too much sodium leads to water retention, which results in an inflated number on the scale and belly bloat. ;)
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's something to keep an eye on, i would'nt sweat it too much. Most processed foods even "health" foods have a ton of sodium. As you start eating better and cooking on your own the salt will start to come down. and even most recipes you can cut the salt down and flavor with other spices or ad the salt at the table.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal. If your blood pressure is low, you're probably okay to go over on your sodium from a health perspective. But if you care what the scale says, you'll probably want to cut down. Too much sodium leads to water retention, which results in an inflated number on the scale and belly bloat. ;)

^^^What she said.
  • rdfhunter
    rdfhunter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My biggest & hardest goal is to buy no prepared foods & cook everything myself. Its going to be tough but I'm really tring to change my thinking this time. I've lost up to 80lbs in the past & could not keep it off so something has to change.

This go around I'm not going to put alot on the scale (LOL). i know with a calorie cut/exersise the weight will come off. Its just has to be a lifestyle change. I'm going to set my goals at the gym & see what happens.
  • buckeyebuc
    buckeyebuc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I discovered Mrs Dash spices and they are all 0 sodium. They have quite a few different ones to choose from and I use them for everything now. I am one of the High Blood Pressure types so sodium is a really big deal for me. I now cook for the family 80% of the time and the kids even like the taste. Hope this helps.
  • rdfhunter
    rdfhunter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I discovered Mrs Dash spices and they are all 0 sodium. They have quite a few different ones to choose from and I use them for everything now. I am one of the High Blood Pressure types so sodium is a really big deal for me. I now cook for the family 80% of the time and the kids even like the taste. Hope this helps.
    thanks, i'll have to hunt some down.