Workout confused

Options
I joined Planet Fitness this year, been working out 2-5 times a week for about 4 months or so. I can tell I am stronger, though I am not losing pounds. My diet has been good at times, but not so good at times.

My problem is, I am overwhelmed by the workout info I find. So much I read says to use free weights, that machines are useless. I feel like maybe for really in shape people, there are better options, but for me, the machines seem safer. I guess what I really want to know is am I really wasting my time on machines?

Currently my plan of action is 10-15 mins on Arc Trainer then weight machines, i switch those up and do 2 to 3 sets of 15 reps. Then go to bike or treadmill for 30-35 minutes, keeping my heart rate up.

I guess I feel discouraged because everything I read makes my workout look usless, but I don't feel ready for these real tough workouts just yet.

Replies

• rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great question. I'm interested in this as well!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Are you asking why you aren't losing weight from exercise as well as questioning weight machines? You need to eat in a deficit to lose weight. Relying on exercise alone is very difficult. Exercise is for heart health, strength training in a deficit is to maintain LBM.

And yes, free weights are a better option as you are getting a fuller range of motion, place a greater demand on stabilizing muscle, etc.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've been guilty of this myself.
    Keep it simple. Diet/calorie deficit for weight loss. Exercise for health and body composition.
    It really comes down to what are you goals and what do you like to do?
    Any movement is good. If you have specific goals, then more specific exercises may come into play.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Are you asking why you aren't losing weight from exercise as well as questioning weight machines? You need to eat in a deficit to lose weight. Relying on exercise alone is very difficult. Exercise is for heart health, strength training in a deficit is to maintain LBM.

And yes, free weights are a better option as you are getting a fuller range of motion, place a greater demand on stabilizing muscle, etc.

I don't disagree, free weights are better, but that doesn't mean machines are useless either. (not saying you said that, just coming from the concern of the OP).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I don't disagree, free weights are better, but that doesn't mean machines are useless either. (not saying you said that, just coming from the concern of the OP).

Yeah yeah. I use machines for a couple of accessory things. They have their place.