Probiotics?!

Options

Replies

• missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    jdleanna wrote: »
    One of my kids takes two probiotocs (culturelle and a yeast-based one also) but it's because he has specific medical issues and his GI doctor prescribed them. Probiotics don't have superpowers and I can't imagine why they'd help with your sluggishness or the rut you're in. They wouldn't hurt, but I think you may be hoping they'll help you in ways they frankly won't.

Not being "regular" can affect you in ways you never thought possible. I know that when I am constantly bloated and backed up (which is hardly ever) that I feel better all the way around. I have feel better so I have more energy to dedicate to fitness goals. .. Despite my diet changes and efforts to be more physically active, I still have issues. My whole question was asking if they helped anyone else with similar issues as my own.
  • missnolder890
    Options
    SQUEESSA wrote: »
    One of my doc's recently told me he takes VSL3 as a daily probiotic and suggested I do so as well. Did some research and it's used for IBS. You can purchase it online for about $60 US per bottle, plus you have to add shipping costs for next day delivery due to it having to be refrigerated. However, I went into the pharmacy section at Costco and asked if they carried it. And Yes, at $43 per bottle.

Works so well that I take one every other day. The *kitten* really works, pun intended :)

This doctor is legit. He was recognized as one of Los Angeles's 5 Top Doctors. He's also written wellness books and does thorough research on medicines.

https://youtu.be/aoOdaRoJdWE

I'll check that out.. Thanks :smiley:
  • missnolder890
    Options
    Yogurt does not have enough probiotics to really have an effect. In addition the probiotics in commercialized yogurt are not naturally occurring, they are added in after processing the yogurt, so you might as well get your probiotics from a pill. If you are looking to get probiotics from food then I suggest you look into fermented foods. The best probiotic pills are the ones found in a refrigerator. I believe whole foods and some other health stores have them. They are a little pricey so I alternate them with other probiotics.
    I believe this. I've tried eating yogurt everyday and it does nothing for me. I even went all organic Greek and plain only despite that i going plain yogurt is freaking nasty! Lol
  • missnolder890
    Options
    I tend to switch around on brands due to price variability, but I've been taking the Ultimate Care probiotic from Garden of Life's new Dr. Formulated Probiotic line, and I've been really pleased. I got them for free, so that's a plus anyway, but it really is a quality probiotic. The same line also has probiotics geared towards weight loss, prostate, urinary tract, and Lisa's health support. There's coupons for the entire line on the internet, too, so it's worth considering.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    One of my kids takes two probiotocs (culturelle and a yeast-based one also) but it's because he has specific medical issues and his GI doctor prescribed them. Probiotics don't have superpowers and I can't imagine why they'd help with your sluggishness or the rut you're in. They wouldn't hurt, but I think you may be hoping they'll help you in ways they frankly won't.

Not being "regular" can affect you in ways you never thought possible. I know that when I am constantly bloated and backed up (which is hardly ever) that I feel better all the way around. I have feel better so I have more energy to dedicate to fitness goals. .. Despite my diet changes and efforts to be more physically active, I still have issues. My whole question was asking if they helped anyone else with similar issues as my own.

I take one that claims to help constipation. But I also eat a decent amount of fibre. So can't tell which one is helping with regularity. Probably both I'd say. I've been taking probiotics for as long as I can remember.

• missnolder890
    Options
    rrrca wrote: »
    there is some significant data showing that probiotics generally don't colonize your gut very well, and that the colonization that does take place is transitory. If current research is true, you'd be better served with a strong prebiotic.

Yes. I'm aware that I need one that's pretty high in live cultures

I take one that claims to help constipation. But I also eat a decent amount of fibre. So can't tell which one is helping with regularity. Probably both I'd say. I've been taking probiotics for as long as I can remember.

I've tried eating more fibre as well, even took fiber supplements for a while and ask they did was give me really bad, really stinky gas lol. It's
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Do you mind sharing which brand your probiotics are?

I'm in Australia, you guys don't have our brands.
    But I rotate between a few different ones.

If you're still interested, I'm happy to tell you which brands I use.

• GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    My GI doctor has me on a daily probiotic and fiber supplement for my needs. I take Garden of Life Raw Probiotic and Citrucel Fiber supplement. For my needs I can tell a difference when I take/don't take them.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Ask for longer layers, lol.

Yes, this should be refrigerated. I take one in the AM and one in the PM, but you could probably start with just one.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Are you lactose intolerant? If not, then yogurt is the best probiotic out there.

Most probiotics on the market are sugar water with lactobacillus strains and it is very transitory. If you think in terms of population you are trying to move a new pack of bacteria into an already colonized area, so unless your diet promotes a healthier flora, probiotics aren't going to have much impact.

Not true, sauerkraut beats yogurt out by a long shot if prepare correctly. Onions and garlic also hold great prebiotic properties to feed the pro, since they both contain longer sugar based strains that cannot be broken down and absorbed by the body
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Do you mind sharing which brand your probiotics are?

Anything high in Bifido will help with constipation
  • alpha_515
    alpha_515 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Upon waking up on empty stomach consume

beetroot, carrot, ginger, celery and lemon juice.

Perhaps if you can do it 2-3 times a day - On empty stomach
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My doc recommends "culturelle" and a smaller brand available at my local pharmacy.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My GI doctor has me on a daily probiotic and fiber supplement for my needs. I take Garden of Life Raw Probiotic and Citrucel Fiber supplement. For my needs I can tell a difference when I take/don't take them.

Does garden of life require to be refrigerated? This seems to be a popular probiotic, I might try it.
    By the way I love your haircut in your profile picture, I want to cut my hair into a shorter style just like that.
    Most of then are. There are a few however (two of the probiotics in the new Dr. Formulated line, as well as the Primal Defense Line,) that don't need refrigeration.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Does garden of life require to be refrigerated? This seems to be a popular probiotic, I might try it.
    By the way I love your haircut in your profile picture, I want to cut my hair into a shorter style just like that.
    Most of then are. There are a few however (two of the probiotics in the new Dr. Formulated line, as well as the Primal Defense Line,) that don't need refrigeration.

The refrigerated ones are the best ones to take that is why I was asking. Looking to switch up the ones I am taking. There's a lot of probiotics selling on the shelf in pharmacies and vitamin stores. I've tried those before and they are pointless.

Actually, I wouldn't completely write off the Garden of Life shelf-stables as dead and useless. I can't speak for other brands, but I do know for a fact that Garden of Life uses special low-moisture capsules in their shelf-stables, which is what allow them to be shelf stable in the first place. Have you ever noticed how cheaper shelf-stable probiotics have silica packets in them? It's because moisture is like the mortal enemy of probiotic capsules. The capsules for Garde n of Life's are specially made to resist moisture. The reason that they don't do it for all of their probiotics is because the capsules are so expensive and limited in availability

Not trying to discourage you from the refridgerated ones (those are what I'm currently taking, after all,) just pointing something out.