Quick Question

Options
Hey All! So...my birthday is coming up pretty soon. I am wondering if I should worry about counting everything that I eat that day or not? I am still planning on doing my exercise. Everyone needs a day off...right? I am sure 1 slice of birthday cake is RIDICULOUS! Any light cake options? Thanks!! :smile:

Replies

• Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, and restart the next day. An occasional bump in calories is actually good for your matabolism.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I say count it, but don't stress if you go over.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Well you probably want to be on a lifestyle approach right? You wont be able to resist cake for the rest of your life, right? Learning moderation early is a good thing..so try some while still keeping in mind you have goals
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just had my birthday andninlet myself enjoy the weekend, I kept up on my exercise and actually lost 1.5 pounds. Insay enjoy it your body might like the extra calories like mine did!!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Count it and don't worry about going over. It's your birthday. :)
  • dmswarts
    dmswarts Posts: 28
    Options
    i recently had a birthday and i was thinking the same thing...i thought if i was going to slurge on ONE thing what would it be, an extra glass of wine ( or 2 ), cake, food at dinner time i dont normally eat... i went with the wine and i didnt feel deprived and it didnt effect my weight loss !
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    maybe take a smaller piece than you normally would take... or maybe get cupcakes as they are somewhat portioned controlled :-)

I :heart: CUPCAKES!!
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    I would eat light the day before and the day after and enjoy myself a big slice (or 2) of whatever cake I wanted on my birthday! :bigsmile:
    I'm a big birthday person and I think that that is your special day. So indulge....just don't over-indulge!
    Have a happy birthday!
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    It's ok to have a free (cheat) day, but that means on your calorie intake, not on ignoring it on MFP. I agree that you can enjoy your day, but still keep track of it.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I say eat and enjoy. If you're looking for a slightly lighter, but still yummy version of a birthday cake, I highly recommend angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream. Even with the cream, which I make myself, it still has hundreds less calories than a regular birthday cake.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If you asked me a month or two ago I would have told you to count it and it's okay if you go a little over but still try to eat in moderation. My outlook has changed though. I don't think you need to log those days if they are few and far between, because looking at all the red negative numbers is disheartening. As long as you remember that if you have any gains that week, that's why. It's all about personal preference though. I splurge once a month maybe and when i do, I do not log it anymore and it makes me feel less guilty. Nothing wrong with that. It's up to you.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My birthday is also coming up! I am being SUPER strict on my exercise and what I eat. I think that night I will mostly be drinking. I don't worry about cake so much, not a big fan. My problem would be like pizza. Going out for some sushi and dancing and drinks will be fine for me. Plan to eat really well that day leading up to your evening or party celebration. We are allowed to cheat-once in awhile, and I say not the whole day. I also tink it depends on how much weight yo want to lose too.

Happy Early Birthday!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Just took a friend to chemotherapy....life is short....EAT THE CAKE. Jump back into your program the next day. Happy Birthday!:flowerforyou:
  • AngelJLV83
    AngelJLV83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Maybe angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream? I just made myself hungry!! There are lots of yummy lowfat cake/pie recipes in the recipe section of the messages boards. Me personally, its your birthday, I would give yourself a little bit of a pass. :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Hahaha - it was my birthday a couple of weekends ago and my boyfriend presented with me two numeral candles stuck to a plate or as he put it "diet cake"! : P

To be honest, and like other posters have mentioned, this is as much about lifestyle change as anything else, and if there are two days I'm going to enjoy in a year food wise then that's my birthday and christmas! I think I nearly hit 3000 cals by the time I'd eaten cake (I did get one in the end), been out for a 2 course meal (I had my cake in the afternoon) and lots of champagne and drinks for the evening...I went straight back to normal the next day and a couple of days later I even had a loss! : D

Oh and I log EVERYTHING, good or bad. :drinker: