Need pointers please

Options
mrsgeneric
mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
I stopped using this app 2 years ago

Today will be my first day re starting this
I
Eat way to much chocolate and junk and just quit smoking too needing pointers on how to curb my chocolate problem and not starve at the same time!!

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! :smiley:

This thread has links to all the basic "getting started" posts to help you get off on the right foot.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • mrsgeneric
    Options
    Thanx!
  • JoseRivera290
    JoseRivera290 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello

I'm the same way too love to much junk food! Going to try weight watcher brownies I heard it cuts the crave and it's only has 100 calories per serving
  • mrsgeneric
    Options
    I would do that but i am celiac :(
    Although the g/f brownies are good i just need to learn moderation and not over eat thats the tough part
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I find I overeat treat foods when I'm hungry. If I've budgeted calories for two cookies and I end up eating six, it's often because I haven't eaten enough real food. Sometimes I give in and eat the darned cookies, but if I'm being strong and disciplined I'll get myself a quarter cup of cottage cheese and a carrot or half peach instead.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I keep high quality dark chocolate squares in the freezer and eat one when I need it. The 75% dark I get is like 60 calories for a square and it does the job. I also will get the swiss miss diet hot chocolate. It's like 20 calories so I don't feel bad about it.

I will say that when I quit smoking I gained 50lbs like over night. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I ever did. Are you firmly quit? I ask because there would have been no way I could deal with quitting smoking while trying to diet at the same time. That wouldn't have been realistic for me.

Also, when I quit smoking food began to taste so much better. It took about a month, but then everything was so yummy. Try planning ahead at least one meal a day. Maybe next week plan 2 meals? that way if you fall onto old habits you know you have a plan for at least part of the day? Keep better snacks in the house. My favorite snack is seriously an apple. It's 110 calories, fills me up, and has fiber. That's good too cause quitting smoking messed with my ability to go. (yeah, tmi, but it's totally true)
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I find I overeat treat foods when I'm hungry. If I've budgeted calories for two cookies and I end up eating six, it's often because I haven't eaten enough real food. Sometimes I give in and eat the darned cookies, but if I'm being strong and disciplined I'll get myself a quarter cup of cottage cheese and a carrot or half peach instead.

I'd agree with this. My overeating is either because I've gotten hangry and just start snacking, or because I'm eating for reasons unrelated to food. So if you're eating your feelings, that something that has to be addressed separately from the food. Find new ways to keep your hands/brain/etc busy to avoid overeating.

I also do the thing where I just keep small portions on-hand. I will eat an entire large bag of chips* if it's here, so I only tend to buy small bags and try not to keep the big ones around more often than not.

So, TL;DR: don't keep large portions of foods you tend to overeat on-hand, so that it's more work to go get them than it's worth to eat them. It helps until the act of eating becomes more intention, less habit.

(* Actually, not really anymore. But even when I don't eat the whole thing in one sitting, I'll still snack on it -- and 160 calories here, and there, tend to add up fast.)
  • mrsgeneric
    Options
    Yes i havent smoked in 5 days
    So treats seam sooo much better :(
  • mrsgeneric
    Options
    Thank you!
    I went and bought fruits when im munchy im gunna try that in moderation instead of the junk i usually eat
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mrsgeneric wrote: »
    Yes i havent smoked in 5 days
    So treats seam sooo much better :(

Congrats on quitting smoking! That's awesome. Be careful not to replace the cigarettes with food -that's a common problem. As far as losing weight - buy a digital food scale and weigh all of your solid foods, and measure all of your caloric liquids. Learning to eat in moderation is not such a bad thing, as you find you are still eating all the foods you like, just in smaller servings, meeting your calorie goals, and losing weight.
    Here's a great link to read - the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • SuzyJRyan
    SuzyJRyan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way... Too many times... That if you completely deny yourself whatever it is you are craving, you're going to crack. Sometimes big time. Since the actual weight loss boils down to calories in versus calories out, I tried to keep that in mind. Unique owl has a pretty good selection of ice cream products that taste great. I made it a point to figure that into my calories for the day. My sweet cravings come in the evening after dinner. So, every single night I had ice cream. It was still within my calories, it satisfied my craving, & I actually look forward to it every night. I thought of it as my treat for doing really well during the day. And unlike low calorie trees of years gone by, this stuff is actually really good. And if its not a diet item, sometimes a smaller portion is all it takes to control the craving. Again, figure it into your calories and it's not cheating. And will not hurt you.
  • AndGO124
    AndGO124 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/11/black-bean-avocado-chocolate-chip-fudge-brownies-gluten-free-low-fat/

Hi there these brownies are AMAZING, gluten free, vegan, and a quarter of the calories of regular brownies. These could help for when you are craving a good chocolate fix. It would still be good to try and practice moderation with them. Perhaps freezing some, or giving yourself a goal like "I will make this pan last 2 weeeks" and trying to stick to that. Practice, practice, practice. Moderation really takes time to learn with many stumbles in between. Good Luck!
  • mrsgeneric
    Options
    Awsome thank you!