Just want to share, maybe this can help you too!

Options
Hi, like so many I was very unhappy with my physique and was on and off the never ending roller coaster of diets and failures. It's hard, discouraging when you mess up, and can often lead to gaining even more weight.

I love watching documentaries (yes I'm a bit nerdy lol) and watched a few on Netflix about the goods we eat and the poisons they contain. I realized things had to change, not only for me, but for my children's health as well. I thought about this for a while and began making small changes here and there to improve health.

I cut out all aspartame, youd be surprised just how many goods and drinks it's in. Pretty much everything thats diet, sugar free, and most fat free things. That was the hardest change to make, but swapping out my diet cokes for full sugar ones, my sugar free creamer for milk, and my light yogurts for full fat ones, I lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks. Without changing anything else. From there I started using half brown rice half white rice, gradually reducing the white rice amount until I only used brown. Same thing for swapping ground turkey for ground beef. My family barely noticed the difference in taste (much less complaints than when I would decide to diet full boar).

It took me, so far, 2 years to lose about 50lbs. Yes, it's a long time, however, the changes have stuck completely. I do not feel deprived or like I'm missing out on my favorite foods. My family and I are much healthier now that ever and I can feel the difference in my skin complexion, energy levels, and all around better mood. I hope this can help any of you struggling to make these important changes!

Replies

• kymetime69
    kymetime69 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this advice. I never really thought about switching to real sugar and full fat things. I might have to try that because everything in my house is sugar free, fat free, has splenda etc. I think also with going back to the things that arent sugar free, I might enjoy them a little more and not feel like I am being deprived of things by having them be sugar or fat free. Its definitely worth a shot. Now to just convince my husband to give it a try.
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes you will! Drink a can of full sugar soda and you will feel more satisfied than diet. Google aspartame and read about how terrible that stuff is for you, especially children! I had actual withdrawal symptoms when I purged that from my life! Like a drug, I had a headache for days that no amount of Advil would get rid of, I couldn't sleep, I would have cold sweats. It was horrible! But soooooo worth it, luckily it only lasted about a week!
  • LaurenNotLaura
    Options
    Much worse, the aspartame makes you gain weight! Imagine that, diet foods make you gain more! It's crazy how we unknowingly poison ourselves.
  • Tintin13
    Tintin13 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing
  • MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm also considering quitting sweeteners because the brain still signals as sugar and the body produces insulin, then no point alternating sweetness with chemicals. Honey and maple syrup would be better than sugar, though. Personally I don't like non fat products as they don't taste good at all...
  • LaurenNotLaura
    Options
    Yes, that surprised me as well, and considering I lived on those it was definitely time to change! I feel so much better and am able to figure out what my body actually wants when cravings strike! But hey, sometimes the body just wants cheesecake lol! I've also gotten into the habit of buying single serving pieces of cake, or a cupcake (I love that there are all of the cupcake bakeries now) so that I can have a sweet, but am not tempted to overeat it because I have an entire cake in my fridge.
  • walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    On day 5 without diet pepsi! I do feel a difference and it is good! I think I might be able to kick this habit!
  • LaurenNotLaura
    Options
    Way to go walker!!! Definitely a hard habit to kick! But I'm certainly glad I did! I found it easier to change more of my "bad" habits after kicking that one!!!