Exercise ideas when you have kids

Options
I have a 5 year old and a 2 month old. When my oldest was a baby I used to go to the gym and I would run and lift weights. I miss being in shape like I used to be but I have my kids 100% of the time so other than workout
DVDs and walking I don't know what else I can do.
Tips??

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this falls under "workout DVDs", but Youtube is pretty awesome.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I only have internet sometimes on my phone. I may end up buying 30 day shred. I did it years ago but then stopped and gave it away but it was a great workout
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Swimming.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I can't go swimming with a 2 month old
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Run in place while watching TV.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I'll try that.
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Things I tried: Find a gym with inexpensive daycare (or use your husband/mom/sibling/friend as a sitter). Take the 2 month old to a mom & baby yoga class while the older is with friends/in another class/ in school. Buy a bicycle trailer or a baby seat/tag-a-long combination. Jogging stroller (mine hurt my back but you may have better luck). Take the 5 year old hiking with baby in a pack. Try DVDs at home and be prepared for 'help' - maybe check the library for ones you can borrow before shelling out $$$ to try it first.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Well...this might sound a bit strange...

Come up with some exercises that you can involve your children in. Five year olds love to dance...hop...skip...etc...etc...

You could walk in place while holding a baby or get one of those carriers that you wear with them on your chest or back.

I used to babysit a three year old and a baby at times. The three year old and I used to do the Head/Shoulders/Knees/Toes song together...it was a work out. Chances are your 2 month old would sit in a swing/infant seat and watch.

Try doing 10 minutes at a time if that is all you can get in.

There are ways...ya just got to be creative. There are some videos on youtube (I think) about exercising with a baby.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender has online exercise videos for free. You can go to their website and put in the length, type of workout and equipment you want to use and then get choices that fit the bill. My kids are older (9-17) but between all five of them, I'm constantly running, so it's really my go to place when I'm actually not running.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Skipping! A jump rope is cheap and it really gets your heart rate up. You can do it in front the TV and it's quiet too, so if the kids are sleeping they won't hear! Throw in some push ups, jump squats and some other body weight exercises and you'll have a solid work out.

I like the website 12 minute athlete, there's an app too. Quick, high intensity, mostly body weight or minimal equipment.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I think you can get fitness DVDs at the library, as well.
  • Zeppgirrl1316
    Zeppgirrl1316 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try to do exercises with the kids I have a 7 month old and I hold her while I do leg lifts and do airplane with her... I encourage you to be kind to your body give it time to heal. you just had a baby! I know that feeling of wanting to get back to normal but you'll get there soon. Right now just focus on sleeping and eating healthy (especially if you're breast feeding!)
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    2 months may be a little young for these things now, but here are a couple ideas for later.

Jogging stroller?
    A bicycle trailer that will hold both kids?

I took my granddaughter out in my kayak last weekend and she loved it. She is 3.
  • kiki_anitoni
    kiki_anitoni Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you have a high school nearby you can go to the track. My local high school has the track surrounding the football field and I let my kids run around or take their bikes while I walk. You can take your stroller for your baby as well :) as a mom I know how hard it is to focus on yourself. Best of luck! You can add me if you'd like :)
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old and a 11 month old and I exercise at home with a dvd every morning at 6am before they are awake. I've lost 20lb and got back into most of my clothes that way.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you really can do with the 2 month old, other than workout when baby sleeps or wear the baby and go for a long walk. When my second baby was born I invested in a treadmill for this reason, as my then preferred exercise was running, which was out of the question with a young baby. But, walking is great exercise for cardio. And if you can also google some bodyweight exercise routines, you can start doing strength training at home, even without weights.
  • adescut
    adescut Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My friend used to dance hard for 30-45 mins when she was a stay at home mom and she lost a bunch of weight. She probably did it while the kids were sleeping.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Have you considered baby wearing in a (woven) wrap?
    It is not exactly exercise, but you do cary around some extra weight that way, and as the baby ages the weight increases.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Get a pram to push both kids in and run behind it.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I do have a carrier and that's the only way I bring her out as I don't have a stroller so I do plan on walking. I did just borrow my sisters stroller so that would help too.
    I was planning on walking at a trail not too far from here too, i live walking or biking there.
    I wish I could go biking, I miss it but I'm not comfortable with those baby seats for bikes and I def don't have the money for a trailer.
    And I have only ever left the baby with my dad for 2 hours while moving last week so I'm not quite comfortable with that yet but I'd love to eventually join the gym again but right now I can't afford that either.
    I'm gonna check out the library and see what they have for DVDs.