Which Fitbit to buy? Or any cheaper alternatives?

Options
Can someone recommend which Fitbit is the best value for money? Or does anyone use any cheaper alternatives to the Fitbit that are just as good?

Replies

• Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Continued
    > I use to go to Curves but that caused me problems with my spine. There was no treadmill or exercising bike and other stuff that I need to work out with. Curved cost me around 40 a month. NOW I pay the 12.00 a month and I work out at CDC and at home. :)
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like to do. I walk and run almost exclusively as exercise (at least currently) so the Fitbit Charge HR was what I wanted.

I considered the Apple iWatch but I didn't like how it required you own an iPhone to sync (I'm happy with my wifi-enabled iPad and dumbphone, thank you). Also didn't need the Fitbit Surge because things like text messaging alerts and GPS tracking sounded cool, but were unnecessary.

I went with Fitbit even though there are cheaper alternatives out there because they are market leaders with an established, tested product, with a large network of users.

• Littleowl101
    Littleowl101 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use my iPhone to track steps ect, but I don't always have it on me. I'd preferably like one that tracks my heart rate, sleep pattern and steps.
    I'm not to fussed on the actual brand as long as it does its job, but Fitbit does seem to have a large following.
    Also I'm getting it from America so if anyone from here knows any deals atm it would be awesome :)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Heart rate tracking via a watch or band is not going to be very accurate compared to a heart rate monitor strap.

Sleep tracking at this point is a novelty reading. All it does is monitor how often you move around during sleep etc. It isn't very accurate.

The iPhone isn't very accurate counting steps either.

If you still want to track those things, Fitbit and many others can do that with just a band, but the results may not be to your liking.
  • HankD50
    HankD50 Posts: 49 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I recently got the fit bit surge but, I'm the kind of person that likes all the bells and whistles even though you don't need them. So far I do love it. The surge does seem like it may be a little bulky for women. The Fitbit Charge HR is a very good option. Whatever you Decide on, make sure it has a heart rate monitor. In my opinion, that is a must.
  • wistyaries
    wistyaries Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got the charge HR because I like looking at the graphs, however inaccurate, and it has a watch clasp instead of a push closure. I had a student with a cool one, jawbone I think, that showed the time across the band instead of the display. My display on the charge hr has a bunch of scratches.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Can someone recommend which Fitbit is the best value for money? Or does anyone use any cheaper alternatives to the Fitbit that are just as good?

Which Fitbit you choose is entirely a matter of personal preference: https://www.fitbit.com/compare

They all calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. When you connect your accounts, MFP adjusts your calorie goal every day to TDEE minus deficit. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

There are plenty of cheap pedometers out there, but they don't sync with MFP. You might find a used Fitbit on Craigslist. Or ask your friends & family if anyone has one they're not using.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I love my Zip--it does all of the essential things and is the cheapest of the Fitbits. I also like that it can be worn UNDER clothes instead of having to have an ugly bracelet on your arm all of the time.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Fitbit seems to be the most reliable tracker on the market. At least from the reviews I've seen. Have used mine for over 18 months. Love it! Got a Flex for my daughter, had a problem with it not holding a charge and they replaced it easily.

For cost, the Fitbit Zip is the lowest price. Similar to the One (what I have) but has fewer features: does not track sleep or count flights of stairs. And a battery you replace every 6 months or so, rather than a USB chargeable battery.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One, which I chose because I didn't think the heartrate tracking was worth it (as I've read that only the chest strap HR trackers are worth it from an accuracy standpoint) and because I really didn't want to be stuck wearing a rubber wristband all day, every day. The One clips to my bra so it's invisible, and still tracks steps, sleep, floors climbed, and active minutes, and it's a little cheaper than the wristbands too.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps-If you're in the US, there are several ways you can make money using a Fitbit. (Other major brand trackers also.)

Check out Pact - its an app for Android or Iphone. Fitstudio, earn ShopYourWay Reward points spendable at Sears, Kmart, Lands End. Earn reward points for Walgreens. There are probably others but those are the ones I use.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I would say anything with a heart rate monitor. With a HRM, your calories burned is a lot more accurate, which makes it easier to see where you are.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I use the Flex for general day to day activity to provide a baseline, but switch to the Polar H7 for my steady state cardio sessions. Think I picked up the Flex for $90 and the H7 for $60. For anyone with a smartphone the H7 is one of the best options out there.

Wrist based HRM are horribly inaccurate and depend on arm positioning, chest HRMs are very accurate - similar degree of error with an EKG.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Just today I bought the Fitbit Zip, and all I want it for is to count steps. I don't really trust other applications to be accurate.
  • salobrau
    salobrau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a fit bit zip that I bought new off craigslist. $39. Love it! It doesn't do all the fancy stuff but all I really wanted was a reliable step counter that linked to my computer.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex. I didn't really pick it, someone gave it to me for my Birthday when I mentioned wanting one. I am very happy with it. Although I don't usually wear jewelry I don't mind the bracelet. I have one that I got from Amazon that is very pretty and has a regular buckle.

Anyway I like it. A lot of my friends and co-workers have Fitbits so I really get a lot out of the Workweek and weekend challenges. I have other friends who use different step tracing units or apps but we don't get to share data so I don't think they get as much motivation to move more as those if us with Fitbits do.

• Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/08/19/will-xiaomis-13-mi-band-crush-fitbit-flex-jawbone.aspx

These are like $15. I think its a good way to see if you like having a tracker.
  • Littleowl101
    Littleowl101 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, decided on the Fitbit HR after a lot of researching, get it on Wednesday. Hopefully it helps me shift a few extra pounds :)
  • Bruery
    Bruery Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Nooooo the Fitbit HR is a waste of money. The HR function is useless for working out, I had both the charge and the surge. The fact is, nothing wrist based can accurately track your HR. If you want a fitbit for the community aspect and to only track steps - then grab one of the lesser models and save your money. If you truly want to track the burn, grab a garmin vivofit and strap or a polar setup.
  • Haegar62
    Haegar62 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit HR and have had no problem with the heratrate tracking, Laso have a Chest HR monitor and that one barely found my HR at all. And my heart rate is lud because i have a a mecanical valve because of Aorta Valve Surgery (Born with only 2 valves) But still i almost never got and heart beat of the chest strap, With the wrist it has been only once a problem and that was because i got the band to loose so no connection.