ALCOHOL!!

Options
Really love a glass of wine or beer when I cook in the evenings. But I have been warned it is really easy to drink your calories. Have decided to give up Starbucks, hot chocolate and fizzy drinks but don't really want to give up alcohol in order to lose weight.... anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key in my opinion.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make a glass fit into your calories.
  • loumrn
    loumrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It was actually alcohol that caused me to pile on the weight. Partying too hard after a break up. Wine and beer being my faves but also the worst for cals. Maybe try swapping for a gin and slimline tonic? Or vodka soda?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up alcohol...just found lower-calorie options and try to make sure it fits into my day.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i agree. Liquor is what made me pile on weight as well. Drinking heavily leads to eating heavily. do it in moderation and make sure you log it so that it fits.
  • Luvzy
    Luvzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Alcohol isn't just calories. It also affects rigid decision-making, discipline, and willpower. It's a lot harder to do a ton of dishes, laundry, cooking, gym bag, etc. prepping for the next healthy day if I'm intoxicated. And then the next day I'm much more likely to skip the gym, even if I'm not hung over because I still have that alcohol "haze." I've never been able to keep off weight while drinking regularly.

Now I drink like once a month and accomplish nothing that day, which is fine, but it's rare for someone to be able to function at peak efficiently while incorporating regular alcohol consumption into their lives.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Luvzy wrote: »
    Alcohol isn't just calories. It also affects rigid decision-making, discipline, and willpower.

This! I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and decided to only drink Champagne because it's only about 100 calories a glass. What I neglected to consider however was the "alcohol effect" and after 4 glasses this plan went right out of the window and I ended up singing in the bar at 2am ****ed out of my head :/
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I've switched from beer to vodka and it makes things much easier =)
  • littledante
    littledante Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key in my opinion.

Yes! Trying to use it as my one daily treat rather than as a drink in addition to a treat... seems to be working so far :0)
  • littledante
    Options
    loumrn wrote: »
    It was actually alcohol that caused me to pile on the weight. Partying too hard after a break up. Wine and beer being my faves but also the worst for cals. Maybe try swapping for a gin and slimline tonic? Or vodka soda?

Yes sweet rose/white or beer are my downfalls.... is gin lower in cals then?
  • littledante
    Options
    robspot wrote: »
    Luvzy wrote: »
    Alcohol isn't just calories. It also affects rigid decision-making, discipline, and willpower.

This! I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and decided to only drink Champagne because it's only about 100 calories a glass. What I neglected to consider however was the "alcohol effect" and after 4 glasses this plan went right out of the window and I ended up singing in the bar at 2am ****ed out of my head :/

ha ha ha ha hilarious :smiley: any plan that involves only drinking champagne is bound to end badly... still love it though x
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm having 2 5oz glasses of wine tonight and I still have 165 calories left. For me it's all about moderation :)
  • littledante
    Options
    Good plan RiverMelSong
  • loumrn
    loumrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes sweet rose/white or beer are my downfalls.... is gin lower in cals then?[/quote]

I think you just need much less of it to get a buzz. I certainly do
  • Tilly1285
    Tilly1285 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'll have a lite beer every now and then, as long as it fits into my daily goal. No point in complete denial is my thought.
  • littledante
    Options
    loumrn wrote: »
    I think you just need much less of it to get a buzz. I certainly do

and it's yummy :smiley:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I budget in enough calories to drink a select alcoholic beverage. Just take a bit of planning and discipline.
  • littledante
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I budget in enough calories to drink a select alcoholic beverage. Just take a bit of planning and discipline.

my alcohol only comes up as calories and nothing else in the data... is that right?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

my alcohol only comes up as calories and nothing else in the data... is that right?

Possibly some carbs, but very minor. I find this very disappointing as I have always classified my Guinness as both dinner and beverage in one.
  • littledante
    Options
    hee hee yes an easy meal :0) is it very high in calorie?