Feeling very depressed. Gained weight with crossfit :((

Options
Feeling very down today. Haven't been on MFP in a while. Anyhow, I started crossfit last month...pushed myself to the extreme during workouts...but I think I still made poor food choices. Shocked to see I gained 9 pounds last month. My coach at crossfit is saying its gaining muscle weight blah blah. But I think it's my diet :(

Feeling very depressed today. So, thought of again picking up with MFP today, and try to workout + log my diet in here.

I have tried home BB videos many times, but have realized that I don't have the will power to do it myself. I liked crossfit coz it seemed like a good support system.

Anyone else has any experience/advice with crossfit?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• xnewbeginningsx
    xnewbeginningsx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, if any cross fitters out there would like to add me as a friend... I will really really appreciate that. Thanks again!
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    9lbs in a month is NOT all muscle, sorry to tell you (but you seem to have already known that yourself).
    The only possibility is diet.
    I have no comments on crossfit as I do not know much about it (and what I do know may be negatively biased information that I received).
    I wish you the best though, you can do this!
  • bakerkate221
    bakerkate221 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't do CrossFit, but I'm thinking there's no way you gained 9 pounds of muscle in a month, especially as a female. So I think you're right: it's your diet. =\

It's okay though: Lesson learned, right? Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start tracking what you eat.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Take measurements rather than letting the number on a scale dictate how you feel.

If you were lifting and eating at a surplus some of the gains may be muscle (sorry not 9 lbs in one month though....) Log your food too.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Another consideration is water retention due to muscle soreness, although 9 pounds would be a bit much for that. I was told not to step on a scale for the first month of crossfit. It was assumed I was keeping my diet in check. I was sore after every workout and retained water. A month later and I'm down about 1.5 pounds. I don't know what happened with my weight during that month, as I listened to my coach, but I can tell you the fit of my pants fluctuated with how sore my legs were.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Don't be sad! You've had a great month of strong exercise; good for the body and the brain! Just tighten up on the diet end of things, and you'll probably see quite a change in the next couple of months.
  • swimmer88888
    swimmer88888 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I think it's awesome you stuck it out with cross fit for a month! I've never done it, but I know it's hard. You should be really proud of yourself. I know when I start a new exercise plan, I feel hungrier. It's bad because it makes me overeat! I think you have the right idea! Do cross fit AND log calories on here. You can do it!!! Great job!!
  • tkaysmiles
    tkaysmiles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    crossfit is going to change your body composition but you still have to eat reasonably. You should eat more on cf days to fuel your body with some carbs after the workout. But doing cf doesn't give you an open book to eat what ever you want. you still have to monitor your food. Take your measurements and pictures so that you have a baseline and can compare composition rather than what scale says.
  • xnewbeginningsx
    xnewbeginningsx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies!!

I have been sore as hell every day since I started crossfit. And Omg...I thought I m crazy...lol...but yes! my clothes felt different based on how sore I was! Especially I always felt my chest was swollen after workout and my t-shirts feel tighter. Thought, it felt better as day went on...

And as this is first time I have done any kind of intense workout in my life...I overate coz I felt hungry + I felt it as a free-pass thinking I m working out so much.

My husband also did it with me and he lost 1.5 lbs in one month.

I m feeling little demotivated...but have decided to stick with it for atleast one more month...but will log my calories this time.

Let's see how it goes!!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. You're going to log your intake, so that misstep has been addressed. I'm one who CAN fluctuate 5-10 lbs of fluid, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the cause for most of that 9 lbs.

New exercise programs often cause fluid gain, and you're going with one of the more extreme workouts. Try not to let that de-rail you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So fix your diet and keep doing the crossfit.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So fix your diet and keep doing the crossfit.

This^^^^^

You simply ate too much, nothing to do with cross fit. Get back to your deficit, get your tracking squared away and you'll be fine. Nothing more than a simple stumble. Get up dust yourself off and keep moving forward.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies!!

I have been sore as hell every day since I started crossfit. And Omg...I thought I m crazy...lol...but yes! my clothes felt different based on how sore I was! Especially I always felt my chest was swollen after workout and my t-shirts feel tighter. Thought, it felt better as day went on...

And as this is first time I have done any kind of intense workout in my life...I overate coz I felt hungry + I felt it as a free-pass thinking I m working out so much.

My husband also did it with me and he lost 1.5 lbs in one month.

I m feeling little demotivated...but have decided to stick with it for atleast one more month...but will log my calories this time.

Let's see how it goes!!

This is what happened. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. You're also possibly seeing some fluid retention from muscle repair. Don't restrict your calories too much, you'll need the energy to do cross fit!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I did some CF,for a few months,one does get super hungry, you gotta eat enough or else muscle will go bye bye but it's easy to eat more than needed ,specially afterwards,so I suggest you check out the TDEE and work based on it logging the food. :3