Gluten and dry mouth??

Options
2»

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerostomia

This link suggests that food is not a likely cause at all.

I was wondering if you might be sipping water all day. This causes one to want to drink and probably the feeling of a dry mouth. If you are sipping your water, try to drink it by the glassful instead which should ensure you drink less frequently.
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerostomia

This link suggests that food is not a likely cause at all.

I was wondering if you might be sipping water all day. This causes one to want to drink and probably the feeling of a dry mouth. If you are sipping your water, try to drink it by the glassful instead which should ensure you drink less frequently.

I don't that that would be it...when I drink water I usually drink a glass at a time
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Could you be dehydrated?

I don't think I'm dehydrated, I drink plenty of water and still have an extremely dry mouth

Do you eat or drink things that contain artificial sweeteners in them? I've read on here that this can cause dry mouth for some people.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I immediately thought of Sjogrens too. A friend of mine has it and a gluten free diet has helped her tremendously.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Are you on any prescription medications? "Dry mouth" is a possible side effect of a whole host of prescription medications.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have dry mouth because I sleep with my mouth open. Do you always have dry mouth, or only certain times? If it's all the time, ask your doctor.
  • samjoy
    samjoy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had this for a while, a few years back. I think for me, it was some kind of yeast overgrowth in my mouth. At the time it happened, I had also damaged my saliva glands in some way by drinking very very cold water when I was extremely thirsty one day. Its almost like I burnt my saliva glands for a while. Here's what helped me:
    - Eating a lot of fruit with "water" in them - grapes, oranges etc
    - Eating salads
    - Avoiding cookies, cakes etc - for some reason things with a ton of sugar in them (other than fruit) made it much worse
    - Not going too long between meals - eating every two hours, albeit very small portions
    - THings with very little sodium in them

I know most of the above is also part of a healthy lifestyle, but this is what helped me. Eventually it went away on its own!
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    Thank you all for responding! I'm going to try cutting gluten out for a few weeks to see the difference. Thanks :)
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    In a small number of cases, persons with Sjogren’s are also diagnosed with celiac disease and must eat only gluten-free foods. I actually had a biopsy done in my mouth for Sjogren's Syndrome but test results came back with nothing. Have had dry mouth for years. Have never found out the reason. Are you taking any new medications?

Hey! I have not been tested for sjrogens but my family does have a history with autoimmune disorders. I have done gluten free for a few months and it did help with my dry mouth so I'm going to give it another chance. Thanks!
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    RBracken34 wrote: »
    I immediately thought of Sjogrens too. A friend of mine has it and a gluten free diet has helped her tremendously.

Thank you for responding! I'm going to try it and I'll let yall know how it goes!
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I have dry mouth because I sleep with my mouth open. Do you always have dry mouth, or only certain times? If it's all the time, ask your doctor.

Yah it's all the time, unfortunately :/ I'm going to cut out gluten and see if that helps
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    samjoy wrote: »
    I had this for a while, a few years back. I think for me, it was some kind of yeast overgrowth in my mouth. At the time it happened, I had also damaged my saliva glands in some way by drinking very very cold water when I was extremely thirsty one day. Its almost like I burnt my saliva glands for a while. Here's what helped me:
    - Eating a lot of fruit with "water" in them - grapes, oranges etc
    - Eating salads
    - Avoiding cookies, cakes etc - for some reason things with a ton of sugar in them (other than fruit) made it much worse
    - Not going too long between meals - eating every two hours, albeit very small portions
    - THings with very little sodium in them

I know most of the above is also part of a healthy lifestyle, but this is what helped me. Eventually it went away on its own!

Wow thank you for your help! I appreciate you responding
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    I have Sjogren's Syndrome, mostly for me its a dry mouth, some dry eye for some people it goes a lot beyond that and can be quite devastating. Sjogren's is often hard to diagnose and is often diagnosed for other things. My blood tests came back negative, however, a minor salivary gland biopsy verified that I had it.

I don't take any medication at the moment but I do use a lot of sugar free gum, biotene products and eye drops, I take every care with the teeth. Diet also plays a role, autoimmune protocol is good to follow.

Some drs believe that if Sjogren's medication should commence immediately to help slow down the progress and for those with extremely dry mouth there are drugs that help create saliva. I will look at medication when my mouth or gland tenderness/soreness gets worse.

http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/

• mrsroddy1228
    Options
    I have Sjogren's Syndrome, mostly for me its a dry mouth, some dry eye for some people it goes a lot beyond that and can be quite devastating. Sjogren's is often hard to diagnose and is often diagnosed for other things. My blood tests came back negative, however, a minor salivary gland biopsy verified that I had it.

I don't take any medication at the moment but I do use a lot of sugar free gum, biotene products and eye drops, I take every care with the teeth. Diet also plays a role, autoimmune protocol is good to follow.

Some drs believe that if Sjogren's medication should commence immediately to help slow down the progress and for those with extremely dry mouth there are drugs that help create saliva. I will look at medication when my mouth or gland tenderness/soreness gets worse.

http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/

Thank you for your response! I appreciate your help
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!