Help with Diastasis Recti

Options
I had twins 8 years ago and my abs were destroyed. Are there any exercise I should do (or not do) to help lessen the giant canyon I have going on?u2yf5gqvpcqr.jpg

I did have umbilical hernia surgery, so I have a small mesh piece 3x4 around my belly button. Where it ends, my upper abs separate. When I do planks my tummy really sags down, when i do crunches, it bulges out.

Replies

• camilledangerfield
    Options
    The gap that you have is called diastasis recti. Most moms have a post-partum preggo pooch to go along with it... so, kudos to you for having such a toned tummy!

The sagging and bulging that you're seeing is actually your insides coming through the gap because the abdominal muscles have separated and the connective tissue is weak. There's a program you can do to restore your core, but you'll need to stop doing crunches and planks during that time (and possibly forever). There are other ways to keep your abs toned without the risk of re-opening the gap. Also, avoid any movement that causes bulging, including sitting straight up to get out of the bed (roll to your side and push up that way).
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Im sorry to tell you this but there is nothing you can do to fix this especially since its been 8 years. I had diastasis recti with an umbilical hernia and after 3 years of dealing with it i got a abdominal plasty. Thats the only way to bring the muscles together and close the gap. No matter what anyone tells you there are no excersise you can do to bring it back together, i promise. I tried but after a million consultations a realized i was only making it worse. Im really small and have no fat or anything so my doc. Did a mini tuck to bring the muscles together.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This works...
    " I didn't realize doing regular ab work outs with the separated muscles may have actually been making them worse."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czcMnabbo4c&feature=share
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have to say you look great...yeah you have a gap but your muscle definition is amazing! I know th er are certain exercises that help but it looks like you are doing those
  • PrairieChicken84
    PrairieChicken84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank's guys!
  • mrssabre113
    mrssabre113 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yoga helped mine! I used to be able to stick half of my fingers into mine now I can only stick the tips of my fingers in. It won't ever go away but yoga has helped tons!
  • StephWieler
    StephWieler Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to people saying you cant fix it! It's definately fixable. I recommend you check out the mutu system :)