Workout program for newbies

Options
So I have been on this site for a month now and have been happy with my loss (mostly from dieting) but I really want to start working out but have NO idea what to do to start out. Anyone have any ideas for someone who is fairly new to having a workout regimen?

Thanks!

Replies

• adecker2007
    adecker2007 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try walking or biking, just don't over do it! Don't push yourself to much! Start off doing maybe 15 mins of walking then just keep uping it every 2 days or so by 5 minutes! :) Good luck!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some type of cardio - start out 2-3 times a week for 30min/session. As your fitness improves then increase the number of sessions/week as well as session length.

You also should do some sort of strength training - unless you want a flabby skinny body. If weights scare you then use resistance bands. They are cheap and give you a total body workout. They usually come in sets of three with different resistance levels.
  • icsracer
    icsracer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The key is to find an activity you like doing. I am a runner. I started out this year doing interval training. I would jog (6mph) for one minute and then walk (4mph) for three and then repeat it five times. I would do this no less than 3 times a week and no more than five. Each week I would add an interval. The intervals are good for you cardio health and break up the boredom of the workout. Now I am up to 9mph for one minute and 5 mph for three and repeating it 12 times. When I started out I never thought that was possible. The motivating part for me is to increase the workouts and see what I can achieve. Good luck!!!
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I would say use Jillian Michael's 30 day shred video. Its structured for beginners and its only 20 minutes. 26 with warmup and cooldown/stretching. I got mine at best buy for 15 bucks. It has a workout at level 1, 2, 3 and you are to do it everyday, ten days at each level. It really does the trick in such a short amount of time!
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    Check ur inbox... I sent you a workout I used when I was getting back into exercising.
  • amandae79
    amandae79 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Check ur inbox... I sent you a workout I used when I was getting back into exercising.

Could you share it with me too, please and thanks
    ~Amanda
  • justcallmejennifer
    justcallmejennifer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas :)