IIFYM Veterans? Success?

Options
donnace7
donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
I'm researching different food plans - so far Real Food and IIFYM are front runners for me. The fat and protein percentages with IIFYM seem really high to me - I mean REALLY HIGH. Have you had success with weight loss using this plan? Thanks.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It's "If It Fits Your Macros," not "If It Fits My Macros."

If you think the fat and protein percentages are too high, lower them to where you want them to be.

64078106.png
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    donnace7 wrote: »
    I'm researching different food plans - so far Real Food and IIFYM are front runners for me. The fat and protein percentages with IIFYM seem really high to me - I mean REALLY HIGH. Have you had success with weight loss using this plan? Thanks.

So.... tweak them to your liking.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I play around with my macros a lot, and I am currently trying an even split of 35/30/35. Just play around with it.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It's working just fine for me. The Protein is dictated by what your goals are. For me I do alot of heavy lifting so I try to get .8 - 1 gram per pound of body weight. Once you have that number set the Fat and Carbs fall into order. If you are only concerned with losing weight and not body composition then your protein wouldn't need to be as high.
    Not having to worry about following any specific guidelines, being able to eat a combination of anything I please as long as at the end of the day my Macros are in line is very easy for me to follow. My goals are to hit my protein and fats as a minimum and whatever is leftover is carbs. I've had to tweak my numbers a few time to find the sweetspot but once you do it's just a matter of hitting those numbers and the pounds start falling off.
  • donnace7
    Options
    I play around with my macros a lot, and I am currently trying an even split of 35/30/35. Just play around with it.
    It's working just fine for me. The Protein is dictated by what your goals are. For me I do alot of heavy lifting so I try to get .8 - 1 gram per pound of body weight. Once you have that number set the Fat and Carbs fall into order. If you are only concerned with losing weight and not body composition then your protein wouldn't need to be as high.
    Not having to worry about following any specific guidelines, being able to eat a combination of anything I please as long as at the end of the day my Macros are in line is very easy for me to follow. My goals are to hit my protein and fats as a minimum and whatever is leftover is carbs. I've had to tweak my numbers a few time to find the sweetspot but once you do it's just a matter of hitting those numbers and the pounds start falling off.

Thank you both for your advice! I don't know enough yet to tweak anything on my own, so I appreciate the suggestions. :smile:

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Yep-just switch your macros to what fits your lifestyle. Mostly, IIFYM is a concept-eat what you like as long as you hit your macros and micros. I have used this concept with great success more than once.
  • donnace7
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Yep-just switch your macros to what fits your lifestyle. Mostly, IIFYM is a concept-eat what you like as long as you hit your macros and micros. I have used this concept with great success more than once.

I like the idea of IIFYM b/c it isn't telling me which specific foods I should eat - just what the components should be. Perfect for someone like me who doesn't like traditional diet food (yogurt, cottage cheese, celery, etc...)

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

I like the idea of IIFYM b/c it isn't telling me which specific foods I should eat - just what the components should be. Perfect for someone like me who doesn't like traditional diet food (yogurt, cottage cheese, celery, etc...)

Exactly. There is no need for diet food
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It's about de-demonizing food and aiming for goals tailored to you. There may be good reason why you're questioning the numbers a single calculator spewed out. On the other hand, I've had calculators come up with some dizzyingly carb-heavy numbers that turned out to be exactly what I needed that day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

IIFYM isn't a food plan and there is not single, optimal macro ratio. IIFYM isn't that website/calculator...that thing is just capitalizing on the concept.

The "Y" in IIFYM is kind of important...a marathon runner is going to have a different optimal macro ratio than that of a body builder for example.

IIFYM is just a concept that avoids the demonization of certain foods and groups off foods. Nutrition should be emphasized, but you can, for example, have some ice cream...IIFYM.