Low carb is awesome!

Options
s_y8s
s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
I began Metformin and low carb last Wednesday and I've lost 6 pounds!! I struggle with PCOS and don't lose weight counting calories and even when I was low carb didn't lose this way. So excited! 45 pounds to go!!

Replies

• Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I moved from MFP's macros to low carb. I would get on the scale in the morning and think...there is no way I lost weight with what I ate yesterday, and sure enough, I was going down 1.5 lbs a day. I recently switched back to MFP's macros because the low carb weight loss tapered off rather quickly. I think changing things up on my body every once in awhile has been good for it. When the weight loss starts to taper off again I will probably switch back to low carb. I think switching back and forth every once in awhile allows me to indulge in foods that can be restricted sometimes. Right now, I am loving being able to eat more fruit and some bread. When I low carb, I love to be able to eat cheese and meat! Good luck with your venture!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    s_y8s wrote: »
    I began Metformin and low carb last Wednesday and I've lost 6 pounds!! I struggle with PCOS and don't lose weight counting calories and even when I was low carb didn't lose this way. So excited! 45 pounds to go!!
    Good luck with everything.
    Medication and diet to address your challenges sounds like the right path.

I have found that exercise helps greatly, so consider some forms of strength and cardio.
    Again, best of luck..and welcome!
    :)

• s_y8s
    Options

I have found that exercise helps greatly, so consider some forms of strength and cardio.

Thank you! I'm walking right now actually :) gonna incorporate some weights soon too!
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Jackie9950 wrote: »
    I felt the same way when I moved from MFP's macros to low carb. I would get on the scale in the morning and think...there is no way I lost weight with what I ate yesterday, and sure enough, I was going down 1.5 lbs a day. I recently switched back to MFP's macros because the low carb weight loss tapered off rather quickly. I think changing things up on my body every once in awhile has been good for it. When the weight loss starts to taper off again I will probably switch back to low carb. I think switching back and forth every once in awhile allows me to indulge in foods that can be restricted sometimes. Right now, I am loving being able to eat more fruit and some bread. When I low carb, I love to be able to eat cheese and meat! Good luck with your venture!

In the past, I lost 20 pounds during the summer on the low-carb, but the same thing happened to me this time around. I've been eating regular foods, but in smaller portions, and that's working faster now. How do you reset MFP's macros? I am curious to know what the default percentages are for carbs, proteins, and fats. MFP had removed a lot of the useful features they had in the past, such as resetting goals, and they said they are are trying to bring them back.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options

I've just added weight training to my routine, and I feel great and perform my cardio exercises better!! I think weight training is very beneficial.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    esorcel wrote: »
    Jackie9950 wrote: »

In the past, I lost 20 pounds during the summer on the low-carb, but the same thing happened to me this time around. I've been eating regular foods, but in smaller portions, and that's working faster now. How do you reset MFP's macros? I am curious to know what the default percentages are for carbs, proteins, and fats. MFP had removed a lot of the useful features they had in the past, such as resetting goals, and they said they are are trying to bring them back.

I just went into my goals and adjusted the macros. During low carb I usually do 20% Carb, 35% Protein, and 45% Fat. MFP's Macro's are closer to 40-50% carbs
  • becky53012
    becky53012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Agree with the weights! Ive been walking briskly and incorporated light weights. Such a great feeling! Will slowly add as I go!
  • nickisalpha123
    nickisalpha123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a useful tool but in my opinion it is a "short-term" tool due to all the negative things that start occurring while you're on it for more than 12 weeks. Usually I incorporate low carb for contest prep but your energy levels plummet significantly. A more useful alternative in my opinion is carb cycling, low carb 3 days which could be anywhere from 15-25% then 4th day up it to 55%. Remember carb tampering is great but only if you're hitting your calories and have a calorie deficit assuming you are trying to lose weight. If you don't have a caloric deficit carb tampering is useless. Good job on the progress though. Btw incorporate weight lifting with cardio, your results will amplify like crazy
  • s_y8s
    Options
    Low carb is a useful tool but in my opinion it is a "short-term" tool due to all the negative things that start occurring while you're on it for more than 12 weeks. Usually I incorporate low carb for contest prep but your energy levels plummet significantly. A more useful alternative in my opinion is carb cycling, low carb 3 days which could be anywhere from 15-25% then 4th day up it to 55%. Remember carb tampering is great but only if you're hitting your calories and have a calorie deficit assuming you are trying to lose weight. If you don't have a caloric deficit carb tampering is useless. Good job on the progress though. Btw incorporate weight lifting with cardio, your results will amplify like crazy

I have to do low carb because of insulin resistance. I don't lose any other way
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If you weren't losing weight is was because you were not in a deficit. Just because you do lower carb doesn't mean it will equal weight loss, you still need to be in a deficit, calories in/calories out. Make sure to use a digital food scale and weigh all solid foods and measure liquids only.
  • s_y8s
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    If you weren't losing weight is was because you were not in a deficit. Just because you do lower carb doesn't mean it will equal weight loss, you still need to be in a deficit, calories in/calories out. Make sure to use a digital food scale and weigh all solid foods and measure liquids only.

I was at a deficit. Women with PCOS don't lose weight easy
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb, as well....I have bad PCOS and the weight loss is slow and ridiculous! And, yes, before anyone asks, I WAS eating at a deficit. Carbs make me sluggish, puffy and cranky. Low carb works differently for everyone.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

The low-carb version used for contest prep is not how most lifetime low-carbers eat. Low carb is anything from around 150 g and lower, so there is a huge range available for specific goals. It's very sustainable.

Also, the OP has a medical reason for following her plan. Her doctor/nutrition support are who she should listen to for macro advice.

OP, you may feel that counting calories didn't work for you but low carb is inherently lower calorie...at least at first! That's certainly a valid feeling, but it comes down to energy usage. Low carb is a great tool, and I'm glad you've found something that makes you feel better! As someone who counted, low carbed, then combined the two...it was the last that has made the difference for me. Don't discount the numbers.

I also advise resistance training while losing. Your body will look better at the end, you'll feel a mental/emotional boost, and you'll hold off osteoporosis.
  • s_y8s
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »

The low-carb version used for contest prep is not how most lifetime low-carbers eat. Low carb is anything from around 150 g and lower, so there is a huge range available for specific goals. It's very sustainable.

Also, the OP has a medical reason for following her plan. Her doctor/nutrition support are who she should listen to for macro advice.

OP, you may feel that counting calories didn't work for you but low carb is inherently lower calorie...at least at first! That's certainly a valid feeling, but it comes down to energy usage. Low carb is a great tool, and I'm glad you've found something that makes you feel better! As someone who counted, low carbed, then combined the two...it was the last that has made the difference for me. Don't discount the numbers.

I also advise resistance training while losing. Your body will look better at the end, you'll feel a mental/emotional boost, and you'll hold off osteoporosis.

Thanks! Yeah, I am eating at a deficit now but I think the low carb is really what's helping me most. Thanks again!
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Low carb is best. I'm diabetic and low carb seems to be the only thing keeping my blood sugar levels in line. I do incorporate some fruit on days that I do extra long workouts. I try to stay around 100 or less carbs a day.
  • MsHulkMN
    MsHulkMN Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

ditto... once I started lifting and backed on some on the cardio... BAM! muscle definition everywhere!!! I used to weigh 210# btw

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »

Thanks! Yeah, I am eating at a deficit now but I think the low carb is really what's helping me most. Thanks again!

Low carb starts off with a higher percentage of water weight loss (glycogen stores) than simple lower calories does.

Don't get discouraged when weekly weight loss numbers become more normalized.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Yeah I started carb cycling and I started seeing lean muscles. I like it bc I'm watching carbs but at the same time I'm not depriving myself.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have been under 50 grams of carbs daily for 10 months and still learning. Finally my rate of loss is starting to improve but pain management is still my main objective. After 40 years of dieting only to regain it all back plus more I am excited to have learned about LCHF and how many have done it for many years with good success.
  • Tiffdraw
    Tiffdraw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started low carb last week. I haven't gotten on the scale since I started. I don't want to get discouraged if the numbers aren't what I want. I have just been looking for NSV. like clothes fitting better

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!