Nike+ GPS problem

Options
Soooo I'm not sure how effective Nike+ GPS is. I'm on C25k week 6, workout 3. 5 min. warmup walking and 25 minutes of running non-stop, which totals to 30 minutes all together. When I completed it yesterday, Nike+ GPS said I ran 3.4 miles in 30 minutes. I'm not sure if this is right or not. It seems off because I started off with 5 minutes of walking, which maybe gets me .4 miles or less. Then I ran (I'm not a fast runner at all) for 25 minutes. When I reached a mile I was at 10 minutes including walking for the first 5 minutes. Sorry if this is really confusing. I'm confused myself and I'm not sure how accurate the Ipod Touch Nike+Gps app is. Keep in mind, I have an IPOD Touch, not a smartphone. So, I only have wifi and of course when I'm running outside I won't get wifi. Could that be a factor to its inaccuracy, if it has any? Thanks for your help. Sorry if I'm not making sense!

Replies

• mercedes25
    mercedes25 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tried using this app on my iPhone but it refuses to calibrate!
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    Every couple weeks I have to calibrate mine. I pick a set distance like a track then calibrate it.
  • hydrosmak
    hydrosmak Posts: 16
    Options
    I just got this app and it seems to be pretty accurate on my Iphone4. The past few days I have ran on a track and it was only off by a couple hundred feet (low end). You can't expect much better than that for GPS. However you might be right, could be different between Ipod touch and iphone.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Soooo I'm not sure how effective Nike+ GPS is. I'm on C25k week 6, workout 3. 5 min. warmup walking and 25 minutes of running non-stop, which totals to 30 minutes all together. When I completed it yesterday, Nike+ GPS said I ran 3.4 miles in 30 minutes. I'm not sure if this is right or not. It seems off because I started off with 5 minutes of walking, which maybe gets me .4 miles or less. Then I ran (I'm not a fast runner at all) for 25 minutes. When I reached a mile I was at 10 minutes including walking for the first 5 minutes. Sorry if this is really confusing. I'm confused myself and I'm not sure how accurate the Ipod Touch Nike+Gps app is. Keep in mind, I have an IPOD Touch, not a smartphone. So, I only have wifi and of course when I'm running outside I won't get wifi. Could that be a factor to its inaccuracy, if it has any? Thanks for your help. Sorry if I'm not making sense!

When you say you reached a mile at 10 mins, was that according to Nike+ or according to your known distance from where you started? Try using a mapping program like mapmyrun.com to manually map the route to see how far it actually was. Since you are using the app on an itouch, it is using the accelerometer to track distance rather than GPS so it will be less accurate.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've always had trouble keeping my Nike+ calibrated on my iPod. All the device does is count your footfalls and multiply it by some "average" stride length to get the distance you traveled. If your stride is short or long, it's off. When you calibrate it (run a calibration of a known mile, for instance) it then "knows" your stride length and should be able to know exactly how you run. My problem with the system is two-fold -- 1. As I've progressed with running, I have to calibrate it more often and 2. I don't wear Nike shoes. Yes, I have a pouch the sensor goes in, but I don't think it keeps as accurate a count not being in the sole of the shoe (even after calibrating the distance it calculates fluctuates wildly on runs of the same distance).

Eventually I got tired of it and I switched to a Garmin Forerunner. Every once in a while I pull the Nike+ out, but I don't count on it to be accurate.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Eventually I got tired of it and I switched to a Garmin Forerunner. Every once in a while I pull the Nike+ out, but I don't count on it to be accurate.

In my opinion, the best running gear investment you can make (not including shoes) is a Garmin Forerunner. I love mine and all the running data I get from it!
  • TexasGirl92
    TexasGirl92 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you have the C25K app you can do an in app upgrade that enables the GPS within the app. I think it was like 99 cents and was spot on accurate. I have the Nike GPS app also and it always seem about 1/8 mile off. I run at a track so I know exactly when I should hit the miles marks and it is always off. I also have Cyclemeter which I use for bike riding but you can also select other activities. It also seem to be very accurate.