Are 5x5 progressive lifting programs suitable in a deficit?

Options
Been about a month of eating in a deficit, I have been mainly using the resistance machines to preserve my LBM, but I am looking to get into free weights and I've got a free 30 min session with a trainer from joining my gym I still need to claim.

Is such a program a good idea on a calorie deficit? Or is there something more suitable that I can ask about in my free 30 mins?

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    They're great on a calorie deficit as long as you're getting enough to fuel your workouts. You'll retain muscle while you lose fat and shape your body. You many gain a wee bit of muscle as a new lifter but you'll gain strength as your muscles become more efficient.

ETA: search the forums for stronglifts and you'll find many success stories of folks who have done just what you're asking. :)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    They are great in a deficit, surplus, or in maintenance.

I went from squatting ~130lb to 230lb while losing 2lb/week and went from 220lb to 198lb. I would be up to 235lb tomorrow, but my left glute is bothering me by the time I hit the 4th set, so I'm going to take this week and next week off (I'm on vacation anyways next week, so just cutting the lifting early). While I could have finished the 5th set it wasn't worth risking an injury.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sure.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Yes.

+1
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, they are ideal for a deficit. When in a deficit, it is, for all practical purposes, impossible to grow new muscle, so there is little value in doing higher rep work. Additionally, most people see a drop in energy/intensity when in a deficit (as compared to a bulk), so doing multiple lifts for individual body parts can be very difficult.

5x5 programs (or really any program that puts the emphasis on the big lifts while minimizing isolation lifts or accessory work) keep both the number of reps per lift and the number of lifts per workout low - perfect for a cut/deficit.
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Alright excellent info people. I shall begin on Wednesday (as I already did the gym today).
  • clincoln777
    clincoln777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    Been about a month of eating in a deficit, I have been mainly using the resistance machines to preserve my LBM, but I am looking to get into free weights and I've got a free 30 min session with a trainer from joining my gym I still need to claim.

Is such a program a good idea on a calorie deficit? Or is there something more suitable that I can ask about in my free 30 mins?

Thanks for your time.

Look at doing some carb cycling. You eat at a decifit every other day (0-50gm carbs), but eat your maintenance calories the off days (no more than 120 carbs) Lift heavy on your high carb days (5X5s) and low weight high reps on your low cab days. If you do this you can still put on muscle without too much body fat. If your gonna life you need at least enough fuel for protein synthesis. The key that helped my drop my BF% was lower carbs, raise protein and good fats doing 5X5's the whole time.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Yes. Ask for a Trainer that is knowledgeable with proper squat and deadlift form. Work on that for 30 minutes at a weight you are very comfortable using with proper form.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    As said, great for deficit. When I started lifting it was to gain muscle and lose weight. I used 5x5 and it was fine.

Just set a sensible deficit and you'll be good.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I've run 5x5 and other similar progressive overload programs on a deficit, maintenance and surplus with no problems in either category.