Is it true that you cannot eat as much as a person that was always of normal weight?

Options
Hello, sorry I don't belong here yet but I am very curious.

I have seen on a programme that if your TDEE is 2000kcal and you always been of normal weight, you get to eat 2000kcal. CICO so to speak.

But if you were heavier and lost weight and your TDEE is 2000kcal, you actually can only eat 20% less in order not to gain weight.

Is this true? Can it be overcome? Is it to do with fat memory, slower metabolism or something else?

I never understood and I scream inside "this cannot be right!"

Can anyone explain please?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2000 cal, then that's what you eat to maintain your weight.

I have heard that people who have lost significant weight do tend to maintain on a lower number of calories than someone who has always been a normal weight. Not sure how true it is though.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Normal diet is 2000 calories per day.
    I eat twice that just to maintain, and I was 100 pounds too fat.

So, no, that was not my experience.
    bi3taof6n321.png
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think it somehow got lost in translation. The guideline is that you don't go from a calorie deficit directly into your TDEE calories. Your body can't handle that quick of a jump and the result is an initial weight gain but this weight gain will stop as soon as your body adjusts. You should instead transition to your TDEE calories over a few weeks period of time adding a few hundred calories per day each week until you reach TDEE.
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I saw it on one of credible weight loss documentaries (forgot the name!). Sounded very, very unfair. I do hope it is not true.
  • littlecrystal
    Options
    Ah, found the name. The programme is called The weight of the nation.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that to be true over the last 18 months, but anecdotes are not data.
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

I looked at some of the literature regarding the documentary and it talks about a "theory" that once you loose weight your body is always trying to get back to the original weight. It doesn't sound like there's any actual proof that you need to be lower than your TDEE. If there was I would think that they would use the word "fact" and refer to specific studies and not just assumptions.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes, it was documented in this US gov and HBO movie The Weight of the Nation:
    http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films/bonus-shorts/the-quest-to-understand-the-biology-of-weight-loss
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, it was based on measuring the energy requirements of a relatively small sample group, and it's not clear that this remains the case forever (so your body may well adapt to your new composition/size etc. over time)

Either way, it's irrelevant on the individual level. What are you going to do? Not lose the weight because you have to eat less than some hypothetical identical person who wasn't overweight? You'll never know what your TDEE would have been if you had never been overweight, because, well, you were overweight and that is the sum total of your experience.

I honestly couldn't care less if I have to eat less than I otherwise would. For me, maintenance requires constant vigilance, so all my effort goes into maintaining what I've lost, not worrying about what could have been.

Sorry if I'm a bit short, but I don't think these discussions are particularly helpful, although they are quite interesting, I suppose.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I believe that if you diet for a long period of time you can experience a slowdown in your TDEE but there are many factors that affects people's metabolisms. I've read that to prevent TDEE slowdown you shouldn't diet for long periods of time. Being at a calorie deficit for an extended period of time tends to decrease your muscle mass, so at the end of the diet when you're at the healthy body weight you probably have less muscle mass than the person who's never been on a calorie deficit. This probably accounts for some of that difference in TDEE. So, if you're concerned, don't diet for a long period of time and strength train to retain muscle while you diet. This should make a huge difference.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    There is some research into "adaptive thermogenesis", which is what some say happens when you lose weight by cutting calories (which is what everyone does to lose weight, even if you are cutting calories by burning more in exercise). The research does seem to indicate that your body's metabolism slows slightly after dieting. But what is not clear is whether it is permanent, or whether the effect goes away over time. What does seem to be more definite is that cutting your calories more drastically seems to cause this effect more for.

There is actually a good MFP three about this somewhere. Search for "adaptive thermogenesis".
  • reluctantpioneer
    reluctantpioneer Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I make sure my output and intake are equal or less to maintain. I lost 40 pounds overall and have been maintaining since March/April. I changed the way I eat and eat mostly vegetarian no fried foods and maintenance has been easy. I am 5'6" and maintain between 138-142 at 1500 quality calories a day. I feel like I am still loosing fat and gaining muscle. You will find your balance.
  • littlecrystal
    Options
    All very interesting! As I said I am nowhere near goal but it bothered me, I am glad I got this out of my chest. As I am on alternate day diet, I am hoping that this phenomenon will pass me by, though it makes sense to introduce TDEE slowly and to give time for metabolism to adjust.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    At the very least me and a lot of other people on here can say that that was not true for us.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    This also sounds like the point of "reverse dieting." Its a long progression to add back calories to maintenance like @giolis was mentioning. You add 50-100 cal a day to your original deficit each week until you stabilize. I've heard of it but never practiced. I have always been in"diet mode" since I've started calorie counting. Would work hard all week keeping under 1200 and waste it all in one day with social gatherings.

I've learned a lot since then though. Constant deficit is just not worth living. Stress hormones and other factors start to play into the game. There is still much to learn about the body as we now dive into gut bacteria influence, too! What I have been doing is calorie cycle or 5:2 intermittent fasting in fear of being stuck in this forever low-calorie deficit. I have calculated a weekly deficit but still have days that are "surplus" because other days are so deficit. My personal theory is that this constant adjustments from day to day will allow me to avoid this reverse dieting conundrum. But from my understanding this might be a lifestyle change and not a diet.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have seen this in folks who have had weight loss surgery
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure that the 20% reduction is totally accurate, but I do believe that the body tries to move to its "set point." If an individual was over weight for a long period of time, their set point would be higher. After losing weight, the body tries to over eat in order to gain weight back to your set point. I have heard you can train your body to have a new set point but that it takes a long long time.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You're essentially referring to Adaptive Thermogenesis as tigerblue mentioned previously in this thread.

Basically, you burn fewer calories. You can offset this to varying degrees with increased LBM and increased activity.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    A good place to start looking for health-related research:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

besee_2000 wrote:
    I have always been in "diet mode" since I've started calorie counting.
    Would work hard all week keeping under 1200 and waste it all in one day with social gatherings
    Unless you're very short, 1200 is the _minimum_ calorie intake for a woman.
    Your profile says you have very little to lose, so your daily deficit (from maintenance, which is about 10 cal/lb)
    should be around 250.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Hello, sorry I don't belong here yet but I am very curious.

I have seen on a programme that if your TDEE is 2000kcal and you always been of normal weight, you get to eat 2000kcal. CICO so to speak.

But if you were heavier and lost weight and your TDEE is 2000kcal, you actually can only eat 20% less in order not to gain weight.

Is this true? Can it be overcome? Is it to do with fat memory, slower metabolism or something else?

I never understood and I scream inside "this cannot be right!"

Can anyone explain please?

Your TDEE is what it is. If you burn 2000 calories, you can eat 2000 calories. There are, however, people who say that if an overweight person loses weight, their TDEE will be lower than a person of the same weight who has always been a normal weight. But it hardly matters. All that matters is what your TDEE is. If you can eat more without gaining weight, that's okay. If you have to eat less than most people, that's okay too. Find your own TDEE and move forward.