the start of it all....

Options
Hello
I was just wondering if anybody has any advice to keep going at the beginning of the journey... Please no rude comments.
Thank you! :)

Feel free to add me as well.

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Keep going at the beginning?

Anyway, read these stickies, they're chock full of good information that should help you keep going:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Read the sticky posts at the top of this forum and the "Getting Started" forum. Lots of great tips and advice there.
  • ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good question. People can have all the information in the world and still not stick to good habits. There's no point in knowing what to do if you can't do what you know. Changing habits is mostly a mental process. What got me started on my weight loss journey was the book "change or die." Its about why people can't change their habits even though they know their bad habits will kill them. Then it gives details on how to be successful in changing your habits.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think what kept me going was not going too hard in the beginning. I started with strictly counting calories. Once I got that in check, I moved on to slowly adding in exercise at home. Then I moved onto joining the gym. Now I workout daily and focus more on hitting my macros as opposed to just counting calories. Start with the basics and build from there. Trying to do it all at once is a good way to burn yourself out.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you told people your general plan, they'd be better able to give you personal input.

My general advice: Eat right, exercise and get enough sleep.

And don't quit!!
  • Luvzy
    Luvzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Make your meals ahead of time so you never have to spontaneously decide what to eat. If you leave it up to yourself to make decisions on the fly, you will probably not make the best decisions. Try to cook 2-3 days in advance and log as much as you can ahead of time. You are more likely to stick to your plans that way.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water,flavor with ginger and or lemon /lime. Ditch the soad/diet soda.I am still working on the soda. Down to one 16oz a day down from 1 liter a day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    start slow and make small commitments. for some people, complete overhauls work, but it does make it harder to stick with the new plan.
    ex: first I logged and walked in addition to what I already was doing
    second, I weigh my food and now run, in addition to walking and yoga
    I'm not sure what's next. maybe more body weight work.

keep it simple. eat at a calorie deficit. and read the stickies. and have fun
  • Supermom3212
    Supermom3212 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feed back! My plan right now is I drink just Herbalife replacement shakes ( no supplements) for breakfast and for lunch, I'm counting calories, I'm trying to walk as much as i can handle, and trying to drink lots of water and not eating junk. Sometimes I start to want like the easy quick supper by things like microwave things or even going out. I've been doing well with that so far by not going with it. I'm gonna try the making meals few days ahead! Great idea! Thank you everyone!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feed back! My plan right now is I drink just Herbalife replacement shakes ( no supplements) for breakfast and for lunch, I'm counting calories, I'm trying to walk as much as i can handle, and trying to drink lots of water and not eating junk. Sometimes I start to want like the easy quick supper by things like microwave things or even going out. I've been doing well with that so far by not going with it. I'm gonna try the making meals few days ahead! Great idea! Thank you everyone!

You might want to do a search for previous threads on Herbalife.

It's a pyramid scheme, the nutrition is questionable (it may cause liver damage) and it is not a sustainable way to eat. Learning how to eat well using real food is a better way to go in the long term.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my advice would be save money and make your own. there is nothing magical in the shakes. make ahead of time and freeze if time is an issue
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Eat at a sensible calorie deficit for your goals, ditch the overpriced shake. You don't have to cut out all the foods you ate before, just eat them in sensible portions (that you weighed on a digital scale to log accurately).
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Make small goals and be proud of those achievements! Also, be honest with yourself. One of the problems I used to have is that I would constantly justify and rationalize to myself to continue with my bad habits. Get in the habit of logging EVERYTHING, even on cheat days/meals. Sometimes, just seeing how bad something destroys my numbers is enough to make me not eat it.

Make sure you're drinking enough water, too! It has so many benefits for your health and weight loss!
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you great advice!! I'd rather eat my calories than drink them because I stay fuller, longer. Meal prepping is a life saver. I usually prep for the week on Sunday. I can bake a package of chicken on Sunday & roast a batch of veggies and use them the rest of the week in salads, wraps, stir fries, etc. If you don't have time, rotisserie chicken is great to use.
  • Supermom3212
    Supermom3212 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just the shake causes liver damage? Why is there so many success stories with it? There are so many meal replacement shakes out there, lots of my friends drink them and there are little places around town to stop n buy one for lunch or whenever. It makes me full. Just looking for advice on why not to do it? Other than real food is better,... I have 4 kids and a husband to make food for, is it easy to just cook the food and not eat it? Thanks everyone :)