vibration plates

Options
can anyone suggest how you would work out how many calories you burn on a vibration plate or an activity it might compare to so able to tally any calories burned on it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    vibration plate?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    If you are referring to the Power Plate/vibration plate they have in some gyms that vibrate while you stretch on them I would say zero.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My PT laughs at those

I don't get them

What are they supposed to do? Is it a stability thing?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Passive exercise doesn't really burn a lot of calories......just sayin'

http://www.livestrong.com/article/293804-passive-exercise-machines-weight-loss/

Rabbit - it appears to be a circulation thing
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I know at some point at my old gym the trainers had my dad use them, in an attempt to help with his back muscles. Basically, a very expensive massage machine XD
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There are some at my gym - I stand on one sometimes whilst I stretch, after burning calories running on the treadmill - or after picking up some heavy things.

I do it because it feels funny and it amuses me. I don't believe it burns calories. If it did, (I'm stealing this one from a friend), I'd find a way to sleep on the thing!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    really, no more calories than you would burn just standing up (assuming you're standing up on the machine).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I've seen people have great results using these in a physical therapy setting. But that's it.

The whole "you can burn a crap ton of calories extra" thing is not true.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I ran across some research about those for school and from what I remember it wasn't very favorable in-support of such devices. Take a look yourself but you may want to cut that from your training in-favor of something more value-add.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Same amount as when standing upright holding onto something.... That is not exercise, there is no benefit to it...Go for a brisk walk, it is a lot more fun and better for you....
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    some time ago I had a look at reviews etc online of these things (because some woman at a beauty place was trying to tell me to go on it for $30) - anyway - I saw mainly people saying it does nothing at all, or it's good for stretching after a workout and I also saw somewhere them saying somethign about how it works the "micro-muscles" (or something like that) so that if you are on it and you do say squats or do a plank on it (with your hands on the vibro plate ) it will help to use all the little tiny muscles (?) as well as the big muscles. I think maybe it would just help stabilisation? maybe? This woman wanted me to sit on it and that would apparently make my butt/thighs reduce and lie on it on my stomach and that would make my stomach dramatically reduce. I had a quick go on it to see and as someone else posted above - it feels amusing!!!
  • KobiHensley
    KobiHensley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it! I've had it for about five months and it has definitely made a difference in toning my muscles. I do exercises on it :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    weezybee74 wrote: »
    .....or an activity it might compare to so able to tally any calories burned on it?

If you are standing on it the same calories as just standing. (But those are already accounted for.)
    If you are sitting on it the same calories as sitting somewhere else. (But those are already accounted for.)

If you are doing exercises on it the same calories as doing those exercises on the floor.

I seen some reports they can help with bone density though.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    weezybee74 wrote: »
    can anyone suggest how you would work out how many calories you burn on a vibration plate or an activity it might compare to so able to tally any calories burned on it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pessimistically.

Standing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Freakin' 2015 thread. Twenty fifteen.