Dry rice/cooked rice

Options
I'm sure it's been discussed before but I'm still struggling.

At the moment I'm measuring out around 200g dry brown rice - cooking, and only eating half (keeping the other half for the next day) - how do I put that into my food diary? I'm not sure I'm entering it correctly so how many calories and carbs should that amount to.

Thank

Replies

• Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I keep it simple and just log 100g dry/day. You could divide it up and re-weigh it cooked to be 100% accurate if you wanted to, but to me it just isn't a big deal if I eat 107g one day and 93 the next or vice versa.

On another note, you are on the right path by weighing your food. :)

*Edited to add: If you re-weigh it cooked, be sure to log the entry as cooked rice.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd log it as 100 g of dry brown rice.
    Even if you aren't exactly cutting it in half, it will balance out over the two days.

If you really want, you can weight the cooked rice and cut it in half, then still log 100 g of dry brown rice.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My rice measure holds 5 ounces of long grain brown rice. It yields 12 ounces cooked. I know this from repeated measurements. A good serving is for me is 4 ounces. So if I'm just making plain rice I log "Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked, 4 oz(s)." If there are several added ingredients, I make a 3 serving recipe.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What I do is check how many grams is one serving. For my rice it's 45g per serving which is 160 calories. I cook 4 servings which is 180g and when it's cooked I weigh it and divide by 4 to portion it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I do that kind of thing a lot. I'll log 1/2 of it for dinner and 1/2 for lunch. Sometimes I actually weigh out exactly half, sometimes I don't.

If I really ate 46% at dinner and 54% for lunch! it's cool with me. It still works out to 100% eaten during the week.

What you do just depends on how precise you wish to be. Either way is good, IMO. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    If you're eating the whole thing yourself, yeah just eyeball half and log half, it won't matter in the long run if you eat a bit more one day and less the next.