Eating Most Calories Later in the Day

Options
Does it matter as far as weight loss goes if you eat most of your calories later in the day (after 6pm)? I'm a teacher and I don't have time to eat much during the day. I eat a healthy breakfast, healthy but light lunch, then a larger dinner (healthy) usually with a treat such as a small cookie. I enjoy eating this way because I can sit down, relax and enjoy my food and treat. I am wondering if it will slow my weight loss to eat this way. I don't ever go over my allotted calories.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope! I usually eat 40-50% of my calories after 6 PM.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I eat a good 60-70% of my calories from dinner onwards, and I'm 64lbs down :) Doesn't matter at all. There used to be a school of thought that eating late caused your body not to process the food and store it, but that's been debunked. The best thing you can do for weight loss is to do what works for you, and that you can sustainably stick with.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Nope! I usually eat 40-50% of my calories after 6 PM.

Same here
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my food in breakfast and lunch.

I like to have food in me before my after work trip to the gym.

Seems to not be a big deal either way.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Think of it as gasoline in a car. Doesn't matter when you put gas in your car; it won't burn until you drive it. Doesn't matter when you eat; you will burn it when you move.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories after 6pm too! I'm down 40lbs since March.
  • Winter_Girl92
    Winter_Girl92 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Although not after 6pm because i have dinner closer to 5:30 an average of 70% of my calories are from that meal. I deal better not eating breaky, having a small lunch and then a huge dinner. I feel more content.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter at all for weight loss! Just maintain a calorie deficit and you'll lose!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have the best success when I eat the bulk of my calories in the afternoon and evening. Having a good portion of protein for dinner helps keep me full and less tempted to eat unplanned snacks. I pre-log my bedtime snack, to make sure I reserve enough calories, because I have less resistance to over eating when I am tired and hungry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Just don't have a huge meal and immediately lie down - this is hard on the digestion.
  • softandcuddly
    softandcuddly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say that's fine. I eat an 800 or so calorie meal around 5pm, then a 300-400 calorie snack around 9. It works perfectly for me, I lose 2 lbs a week. (I used to throw in a 400 calorie lunch, but over a couple of weeks I was able to push it to 2pm, then 3pm, then eliminate it. I now lose more per week, of course.) Personally, I lose more weight when I put as much time between my late-night and dinner meals as possible. (Taking advantage of sleep time!) I figure if there's food in my stomach, my body has no need to consume my fat. Works for me, anyway.