Feeling Dizzy after a cardio workout

Options
is this normal? I'm a beginner did a 30 min workout and when I was done I felt a bit dizzy.

Replies

• Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Yup, completely normal. Sit, breath, let it pass. It took me almost a year before I got to the point where I wasn't dizzy after a workout, but I was really really out of shape.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Could literally be anything from just being out of shape, to heart problems, to low blood sugar...imo, see if it happens every time, and if so...see a doctor??
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How much have/had you eaten before that?
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    And how much water did you drink that day?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I second the water - make sure you are hydrating before and after working out.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Off the cuff, I'd say low blood sugar.

But it could be worse things. Do you see stars, too?

Eat a banana before you work out, and see if that helps. If it does, then you might have to reconsider meal timing vs. workouts. Or just always have a handy snack for workouts -- which a lot of people do.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have been actually getting used to a bit of postural hypotension (getting dizzy when I stand up) that seems to come and go as I've been running nearly every day for the past several months. Usually is much better when I've hydrated, but still happens. I've just learned to stand up slowly, and occasionally grab a wall if I get the woozies. Not a big deal.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You might bring it up next doctor' s check up.
  • cherub14
    cherub14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was having such severe dizzy spells that I would drop to my knees and have blurry vision. It wasn't just after workouts. Went to the cardiologist and had ekg, heart monitor, and a stress test. All came back normal. Blood work showed a vitimin b12 deficiency (I eat very little meat) so I now take a supplement. Still getting dizzy everyday, but it's not my heart!
  • PunkDollx
    PunkDollx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had breakfast earlier, lunch about 3 or 4 hours before and an apple and I drank about 7 glasses of water today during the workout I had a bottle of water
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    One home remedy that you can try is to drink a little bit of Gatorade during an intense workout. I use the low-cal variety and cut it with water and ice.

It's not normal, it can have many causes and if it continues, you need to go see your doctor.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy, nauseas if I don't drink enough water before and after my cardio workouts. See a Dr. if it keeps happening. :smile:
  • PunkDollx
    PunkDollx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll bring it up to my doctor when I see him hopefully it stops happening
  • Katielou112
    Katielou112 Posts: 55 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I used to get this but only during/after spinning class. It was down to not being hydrated enough and bad technique/posture - I was moving side to side wayyyyy too much, so much so I made myself nauseous.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The chances are it's nothing more than the fact you're new to exercise and simply unfit. Go to your doctor and get checked out to be on the safe side and back off the intensity a little.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    This happens to me! Water helps (even drink during a workout if you must) as well as eating before a workout. I usually have a banana and some oatmeal, but basically sumo merging with sugar, fixes me right up!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Everything they said also pay attention to your breathing make sure you aren't unintentionally holding your breath.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Do you cool down before stopping? If I go from flat out effort to none I get dizzy. Walking for a minute or two helps me.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Are you working yourself too hard? There's a lady/girl in my Y who does about 5 mph on the treadmill, without drinking water, who stops after about half an hour (but doesn't turn off the treadmill; just steps on the sides of it) and looks like she is going to pass out. She rests a minute, shakes her head, DOES NOT EVEN SWEAT, then starts right back up again for half an hour or so, then goes through the same thing again. I'm never there for more than an hour, so I don't know how long she actually does this. She's skin and bones as well. I worry about her. So if you are doing this then stop!!!!