THE WHOLE 30

Options
has anyone else tried "The Whole 30"? I am on day 9 and I want to give up. But it's only for 30 days and my hopes are afterwards I will have a better way of thinking/feeling about eating better. The Whole 30 is kind of a cleanse. You can pretty much only eat Meat, Fruit, and Veggies. They say not to weigh yourself during the process, but it's hard not to. I have lost 3 pounds in the 9 days. And this is with eating my full recommended daily calories/protein etc... It is very hard, but what I have read about the outcome-that you don't crave the sweets, you are more energetic etc.. is what I'm excited about.

Replies

• MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm doing the Whole30 and so is my husband. I'm on day 10 and this is my observation: The first couple days we felt a little fatigued, well, REALLY fatigued :( . We were ok the next few days but sometimes, around dinner time the fatigue sets in again. I really think it's just the body having to adjust to less sugar. I know you're not suppose to weigh yourself but I did on the 7th day and was down 6 pounds, my hubby was down 5. That's a lot of weight to lose, no wonder we felt fatigued. I have also suffered from IBS for 33 years and have not had an issue since I started this program, BIG DIFFERENCE. There have also been other NSV's such as the pain in my knees and back are gone and my husband says he isn't getting out of bed hearing all the snaps and creaks he usually does. It's hard for sure but not too hard but as Melissa Hartwig says, "Don't you dare tell me this is too hard, fighter cancer is hard, childbirth is hard, cutting out certain foods for 30 days is NOT to hard". You'll get through it, so will I and we'll be happier for doing so. You can friend me if you need some back-up :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Whole 30 is very trendy right now. The program makes a lot of unscientific, unfounded claims.

Here's a recent thread about it. You can see what I have to say.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33480545/
  • swimmer88888
    swimmer88888 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am proud of you for doing the whole 30! I haven't done it yet, but I did spend 30 days on a diet very close to the whole 30. I was essentially 95% paleo. I feel like you probably started this for a reason so I hope you can finish it!! Maybe you feel badly because you're not eating enough! The whole 30 does not restrict calories, so maybe you're not eating enough! Just my thought. I really think you can do it!! Hang in there and let us know how you feel in 20 more days :)
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    im on a similar diet called paleo auto immune protocol which is paleo plus no eggs nightshade (tomatoes chillis white potatoes) or nuts seeds well done its hard at first but gets so much more easier ive been on it for 3 months and paleo 8 months now and can say honestly ill never go back though i may add nuts n seeds back in moderation at some point what helped me most is eating loads of plantains sweet potatoes and other starchy filling carbs extra virgin coconut oil on everything adds a rich beautiful taste to all highly recommend also good lots of meats and leafy greens fill you up best wishes trust me dont give up your body will rewards more energy clearer skin and more
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ninavivi wrote: »
    has anyone else tried "The Whole 30"? I am on day 9 and I want to give up. But it's only for 30 days and my hopes are afterwards I will have a better way of thinking/feeling about eating better. The Whole 30 is kind of a cleanse. You can pretty much only eat Meat, Fruit, and Veggies. They say not to weigh yourself during the process, but it's hard not to. I have lost 3 pounds in the 9 days. And this is with eating my full recommended daily calories/protein etc... It is very hard, but what I have read about the outcome-that you don't crave the sweets, you are more energetic etc.. is what I'm excited about.

Good question to ask yourself before starting any diet: Am I willing to eat this way for the rest of my life? If the answer is no, then don't commit to that diet. You can't view a diet as a way to lose weight because it doesn't teach you how to eat properly when you're done with the diet. You need to lose weight in a sustainable way that you can stick with your whole life, otherwise you'll just be another person who used a diet to lose weight only to gain that weight back and usually more...
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Good question to ask yourself before starting any diet: Am I willing to eat this way for the rest of my life? If the answer is no, then don't commit to that diet. You can't view a diet as a way to lose weight because it doesn't teach you how to eat properly when you're done with the diet. You need to lose weight in a sustainable way that you can stick with your whole life, otherwise you'll just be another person who used a diet to lose weight only to gain that weight back and usually more...

Whole30 is not a diet, it lasts only 30 days and its intent is to find the foods that your body does not handle well, be it allergies or intolerance. You will more than likely lose weight during this 30 day period but that is not the sole purpose for utilizing this program. I myself as mentioned have suffered with IBS for 33 years, While on this program I have not had any occurrences. After the 30 days I will slowly begin to add forbidden foods back in to my diet and hopefully find the ones that are most troubling to my sensitive digestive system. So, it is not a matter of can you eat like this for life. Please do research before giving advice. :)
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am on day 9 and feel great. Performed well during my normal jogging and spin classes. If you are feeling fatigued, you could try adding a little more carbs to your meals, add in a sweet potato or something.

After my sister and mom had so much success on the plan, I had to give in and try, and I am really glad so far that I did. They did it in May and lost 25 and 15 lbs respectively (not just over the 30 days, but beyond as well). My mom discovered that dairy and white rice give her issues, and my sister had the same issue with rice. They have continued to follow the plan for the most part, with certain indulgences from time to time and are still doing great! My sister works at MD Anderson and some of the Dr's there are recommending their patients follow this diet, so it really can't be too terrible for you.

Read the book It Starts With Food. I read it over the weekend and my eyes were opened. It is definitely backed by science, pages and pages of studies referred to in the book. Seems like many of the people who have a negative opinion about the plan are people who have either not read the book or tried the plan.
  • AJ_G
    Options

Whole30 is not a diet, it lasts only 30 days and its intent is to find the foods that your body does not handle well, be it allergies or intolerance. You will more than likely lose weight during this 30 day period but that is not the sole purpose for utilizing this program. I myself as mentioned have suffered with IBS for 33 years, While on this program I have not had any occurrences. After the 30 days I will slowly begin to add forbidden foods back in to my diet and hopefully find the ones that are most troubling to my sensitive digestive system. So, it is not a matter of can you eat like this for life. Please do research before giving advice. :)

Or go see a doctor and get a real test. If you think doing this will diagnose what foods you're actually allergic to or have a bad reaction to, that's a joke. People pull out false positives all the time: "I have a bad reaction to gluten", "Dairy products give me less energy" etc. That's a load of crap, go see an actual doctor, get some actual tests if you believe you have GI issues instead of wasting your time on this hippie BS
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ignore the naysayers - Whole30 is a great way to reset your organs and remove toxic buildup. There is SO MUCH junk in modern food that have no place in our bodies. Do what you feel is right for you and disregard people talking you out of it.

Whole30 was a great way for me to get my body back on track, we saved a ton of money, and felt great afterwards. Once it's over, reintroduce the items you nixed slowly, otherwise you'll feel a bit crummy. I have nothing but good things to say about Whole30!

I would not say that the Whole30 lifestyle is sustainable, this coming from someone who doesn't eat grains or refined sugar. A lot of people on MFP are particularly critical of Whole 30, paleo or low carb diets, as if you're calling their lifestyle wrong by living differently. I've gotten used to it by now.

Eating natural foods is GOOD FOR YOU and that is the focus of Whole30. No one can argue that this diet is bad for you. Also, anyone saying Whole30 is full of unproven claims hasn't read any of the Whole30 books.

I believe you can do it and it's so worth it to last the full 30 days! Keep up the great work.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    jaynesje wrote: »
    Ignore the naysayers - Whole30 is a great way to reset your organs and remove toxic buildup. There is SO MUCH junk in modern food that have no place in our bodies. Do what you feel is right for you and disregard people talking you out of it.

Whole30 was a great way for me to get my body back on track, we saved a ton of money, and felt great afterwards. Once it's over, reintroduce the items you nixed slowly, otherwise you'll feel a bit crummy. I have nothing but good things to say about Whole30!

I would not say that the Whole30 lifestyle is sustainable, this coming from someone who doesn't eat grains or refined sugar. A lot of people on MFP are particularly critical of Whole 30, paleo or low carb diets, as if you're calling their lifestyle wrong by living differently. I've gotten used to it by now.

Eating natural foods is GOOD FOR YOU and that is the focus of Whole30. No one can argue that this diet is bad for you. Also, anyone saying Whole30 is full of unproven claims hasn't read any of the Whole30 books.

I believe you can do it and it's so worth it to last the full 30 days! Keep up the great work.

What are these toxins you speak of? Isn't that the reason we have livers?
  • lejoie
    Options

Exactly. That IS the reason we have livers... however, not everything is easily processed, and thus over-works the liver, and many things are not meant to be put in our bodies at all. An estimated 30 million Americans live with liver disease. To assume our livers can handle anything is sadly not true.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options

Or go see a doctor and get a real test. If you think doing this will diagnose what foods you're actually allergic to or have a bad reaction to, that's a joke. People pull out false positives all the time: "I have a bad reaction to gluten", "Dairy products give me less energy" etc. That's a load of crap, go see an actual doctor, get some actual tests if you believe you have GI issues instead of wasting your time on this hippie BS

Do you honestly think that after 33 years of a condition I haven't seen a doctor??? Let's be real honey
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options

Well said :)
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options

What are the toxins??? Read the ingredient label to most "so called foods" they aren't even real foods! We fill our bodies with chemicals of all sorts on a daily basis. The liver doesn't know what to do with non real foods. We can't rely on our livers to fix every poor choice we make. Must learn to make better choices, hence Whole30 :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I cut out gluten, mostly wheat, 4 years ago and have never felt better. My knees stopped hurting, after waking me up in pain for a couple of years. The pain stopped within two weeks.

To those who think you need a doctor to help you with food sensitivities I say, listen to your body, make some changes, and see what works for you. After all, we should care a lot more for our health and our bodies than our doctor will. They see 10-20 patients a day, and you live 24/7 with- you.
  • AJ_G
    Options

Do you honestly think that after 33 years of a condition I haven't seen a doctor??? Let's be real honey

So if you've seen a doctor, why resort to this eastern medicine, homeopathic bs?
  • lejoie
    Options
    AJ, I'm sorry but you're making it abundantly clear that you don't know anything about the Whole30 program.

Surprisingly, my doctor recommended the paleo diet because of my endocrine disorder so by extension, that includes Whole30. Doctors are in on it, too!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

So if you've seen a doctor, why resort to this eastern medicine, homeopathic bs?[/quote]

Just to try to clarify for others who might be reading. A diet change is not "eastern medicine". That would be acupuncture and Chinese herbs, used together or separately. Homeopathy is not a diet change either. It's a modality where "like treats like" and remedies (homeopathic medicine) is taken. That isn't being discussed here either.

Both of these modalities would encourage you to be on a healthy diet as a building block for health and wellness. So, I think we're all in agreement here.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Never tried it, but good luck! Who cares if it's only 30 days. Eating the same way until I die sounds just awful. Besides, everyone has to make modifications as they go through weight loss and, eventually, into maintenance. Regardless of the method...
  • MyWhole30Journey
    edited August 2015
    Options

So if you've seen a doctor, why resort to this eastern medicine, homeopathic bs?

Child, I had a lot to say to you but then I thought better not to encourage you. Say what you want, feel what you feel, do what you do. I will do the same.