Major sweet tooth

Options
Hi everyone,
I was wondering how everyone else copes with their sweet tooth after my dinner in the evening I have really bad sugar cravings and around bed time, most of you are going to say eat fruit like berries or dark chocolate but I don't like them and I have tried them and it still doesn't satisfy my sweet tooth.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well what do you like? Have a bit of that.
  • staciscotty
    staciscotty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have sugar free hot chocolate with 2x Equal tablets in it. It's like 12 calories and really does help with sweet cravings (especially if you brush your teeth and go straight to sleep after so you can't eat anything else ;) )
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Well, if nothing but treats will do, you have to decide if you want treats or not. If you do, eat them. Enjoy them. If you don't want to eat them, you will have to learn to refocus and not dwell on eating treats. Do something else. Refuse to entertain the notion of eating them.

Make up your mind and then stand firm with your choice! :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate chips (sweetened with Xylitol) with macadamia nuts and shredded coconut. Sometimes a chai tea with coconut cream hits the spot.
  • lildebbie121
    lildebbie121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have to be very careful in this. Like you, berries or dark chocolate aren't for me. What I do is save up calories for what I really want. I have to be cautious because I can easily keep on eating. I am not a clean eater, so I eat something like a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich or a Clif Z bar for kids. Both hit the spot without making me want more.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had some malted milk balls!
    I went on an 1 1/2 hour bike ride against the wind so I had plenty of calories left after I ate steak, veggies and hummus.
  • Leighjr
    Leighjr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wonder if any could help me with this .. I have been told to eat less carbs but eat more fat (is supposed to help with my type of epilepsy, no idea how tho) but like with OP I have a major sweet tooth and have been told almost every food type I like is mostly a no no and the good ok is somewhat ... Bland to my tastes.

So I need to alter the nutrition settings/goals on MFP as it's mostly to carbs by default.

I HATE cooking, if it takes longer than 3 minutes I tend to just head for a sandwich which is of course not good for me, especially as I am home all day and I think I tend to eat as bored.

Coffee tends to be in a 500ml cup with 3 sugars
    Love jam doughnuts .. I tend to eat all 5 at once
    Pepsi Max
    Dinner is usually anything I can microwave or a takeaway

I think part of the problem is I was raised being hold to eat everything on my plate as it cost money and didn't spring money for me to waste by not eating all etc etc

I tried peanuts but I end up eating them all in one sitting :-( my willpower is almost non existent
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I first changed the way I ate I found that I tended to miss old habits. I used to always eat something sweet at around 5 pm, when the first stressful part of the day was over, I was hungry, and I was comforting myself for the fact I'd be at work for several more hours. When I decided to eat only at mealtimes and cut out mid-day snacking, I still wanted food at that time and missed it. I brought other food to munch on (raw veggies) and mostly reminded myself I was not really hungry (I'd eaten plenty that day and would have a good dinner that evening) and once I got out of the habit I was fine. It didn't take that long.

So you can break the habit.

That said, I have found that including a little something sweet after dinner is a good habit for me to keep. Eating right after dinner I don't have any temptation to overeat, and it gives me a reason to save my calories and resist whatever stupid sweets or other food outside my plan might show up at work (unless it's really special and worth fitting in). I break this habit every once in a while -- a bit of cheese instead of something sweet works as a nice alternative, or some fruit with yogurt -- but I don't think there's anything wrong with fitting in a dessert to your calories if you want to. It might even make your plan feel more sustainable to you.

More than sweets what I love is trying local restaurants, and so when I was on lower calories I still found a way to fit that in weekly (I did that instead of fitting in sweets early on). But it's really the same principle--you have to think about what kind of eating plan you will want to live with longterm.
  • Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Look up recipes by chocolate covered Katie http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com. Many are no more than a hundred calories and are healthy, low in sugar and are like proper desserts. I think it's her black bean brownies that are about 101 calories and have no flour and taste just like regular brownies!!! Fun to make too :smiley:

If you're not into baking though she has some mug dessert recipes too, that you make in the microwave!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Leighjr wrote: »
    I think part of the problem is I was raised being hold to eat everything on my plate as it cost money and didn't spring money for me to waste by not eating all etc etc

Me too. An important thing to learn is to control what's on your plate. Don't put more on than you intend to eat (and for me this means putting on what a reasonable serving is based on the calories I want, not based on what looks good--you will learn you don't need as much as you think). Don't grab a bag of peanuts and expect to stop. It's normal to find that hard. Measure out your serving of peanuts (whatever you choose) and put that on a plate (or just put the rest away, since I probably wouldn't eat peanuts on a plate. ;-) Eat that, don't get more.

With restaurant food it's harder, but just decide that you will eat 1/2 (or whatever) and the rest is leftovers for later. Do that before you start eating; makes it easier to stick to.

With the coffee maybe start subbing cream for sugar or just cut back the sugar.

Try diet soda?
  • Leighjr
    Leighjr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    From what I've read diet soda is worse than plain soda .. I get the Pepsi Max as it has no sugar etc

I'm trying to cut back on sugar in my coffee by replacing it 1 spoon at a time with sweetener .. Seem to be putting on weight instead tho lol

To help with serving size I got smaller plates
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Vanilla almond milk warmed with cinnamon and agave, banana sauteed in honey and cinnamon, homemade banana ice cream (freeze banana chunks, run in a blender or food processor with your choice of sweetener/nut butter/etc, until smooth), frozen grapes, flavored Greek yogurt. Get on Pinterest, there are tons of ideas. :)
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    hollymr7 wrote: »
    Look up recipes by chocolate covered Katie http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com. Many are no more than a hundred calories and are healthy, low in sugar and are like proper desserts. I think it's her black bean brownies that are about 101 calories and have no flour and taste just like regular brownies!!! Fun to make too :smiley:

If you're not into baking though she has some mug dessert recipes too, that you make in the microwave!!

Dem brownies! I suggested them to someone recently and got some serious shade. Oh well! More for us!